BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts

Will this keep Mr BMW happy do you think?
[/quote]
The question is mayby not if it makes Mr. BMW happy or not but: "Will it preserve the warranty promise of your bikes manufacturer?"
My simple answer would be YES, it does.
Amsoil claims the oil to meet all requirments in the technical section of the bikes rider's manual:
- the oil's viscocity is 15W-50
- it's made to meet API Service Classification SM (better than SJ, as required by BMW)
- it meets JASO MA2 standard

If it's a good or bad oil for you, is not for me to say. Only time will tell. A good advice about motorcycle oils could be found the on web pages of "[URL="http://www.pqiamerica.com/resourceroom/apiserviceclass.html"]The Petroleum Quality Institute of America[/URL]", they state: "Some Engine Oils Currently on the Shelves Can Harm Your Engine [B]Read the Labels![/B]"
An interesting article about JASO motorcycle oils could be found [URL="https://www.whitedogbikes.com/whitedogblog/choosing-the-right-motorbike-oil-what-does-jaso-and-jaso-ma2-mean/"]here[/URL].
Does your dealers recomendation to use "any 10W-40 oil" meet the requirments? My answer would be NO. Therefore it's questionable that your dealer recommends such an action.
This is ofcourse only my look at your case, for you to use as you please. Bear in mind, I'm no oil expert or anything but an old fart who's been some decades in the sadle. You may take my writing as you please and do what ever you like with it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The question is mayby not if it makes Mr. BMW happy or not but: "Will it preserve the warranty promise of your bikes manufacturer?"
My simple answer would be YES, it does.
Amsoil claims the oil to meet all requirments in the technical section of the bikes rider's manual:
- the oil's viscocity is 15W-50
- it's made to meet API Service Classification SM (better than SJ, as required by BMW)
- it meets JASO MA2 standard

If it's a good or bad oil for you, is not for me to say. Only time will tell. A good advice about motorcycle oils could be found the on web pages of "The Petroleum Quality Institute of America", they state: "Some Engine Oils Currently on the Shelves Can Harm Your Engine Read the Labels!"
An interesting article about JASO motorcycle oils could be found here.
Does your dealers recomendation to use "any 10W-40 oil" meet the requirments? My answer would be NO. Therefore it's questionable that your dealer recommends such an action.
This is ofcourse only my look at your case, for you to use as you please. Bear in mind, I'm no oil expert or anything but an old fart who's been some decades in the sadle. You may take my writing as you please and do what ever you like with it.

Wise words and good advice. Thanks for your response.
I’m happy with the spec of the oil and have ordered 2L .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just has Hasselman states. The Motul website gives loads of information. Much of it confusing, to me anyway. But has a section on where you put in your vehicle details, in our case the BMW G310 and it recommends this, that I use and 1 other for our bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Just has Hasselman states. The Motul website gives loads of information. Much of it confusing, to me anyway. But has a section on where you put in your vehicle details, in our case the BMW G310 and it recommends this, that I use and 1 other for our bikes.
All the engine oils for 4 stroke bikes from reputable companies can be used on our bike. there is nothing special about this engine. just the viscosity needs to be considered, depending on climate: 10w40, or 15w40, 10w50 or 15w50. I use personally 10w40 as I live in a relatively cold area. also after braking in the bike, I prefer to use synthetic oil. it may be excessive, but I like to change oil every 1000km.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The first oil change on mine was around 1000km and again at 6000km. But I’ve now got to drain the incorrect 10:40 out and replace with 15:50.

Took delivery of this today so tomorrow I’ll change the oil and I should then be good for the hot next 6 months dry season and 35 degree c temperatures.
Does anyone know the oil quantity without changing the filter?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd guess the filter holds about 100cc so try putting in 1650 minus say 200cc and top up depending on level in window. In your position I would just empty the filter while the sumpguard is off then reuse it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
All the engine oils for 4 stroke bikes from reputable companies can be used on our bike. there is nothing special about this engine. just the viscosity needs to be considered, depending on climate: 10w40, or 15w40, 10w50 or 15w50. I use personally 10w40 as I live in a relatively cold area. also after braking in the bike, I prefer to use synthetic oil. it may be excessive, but I like to change oil every 1000km.
And the self-appointed expert on all matters concenring motorcycles strikes again. Kris is the man who knows everything much better than the manufacturers, specialy when it comes to their recomendaions for upholding warrantys on products they have designed and manufacturered.

Mayby you could also provide a list of the "reputable" oil companys?

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
One of the special things about the 310s is the DLC coating on some of the components, apart from making sure that the oil you are using is not harmful to the DLC coating, I agree with Kris. (well maybe not the oil change every 1000km, but 10,000km sure)

0W40 fully synthetic oil is recomended for my car, however, due to the climate and due to the fact that the engine now has done 300K+ km, I use 5W40

·
Registered
175 Posts
One of the special things about the 310s is the DLC coating on some of the components, apart from making sure that the oil you are using is not harmful to the DLC coating
How do you make sure the oil is not harmful? By useing oil from a non-specific reputable oil company, or by following the manufacturers recomendations for oil standards and classifications?

It's free for any owner to pour whatever he/she likes in his/her engine, even olive oil as recomended by you (Porth) earlyer. It is also for any manufacturer to make specific demands on what oil standards and classifications to follow for their warranty to aply. In the case of wrong oil causing enginge damage after the warranty period, it's not anymore the manufacturers concern.
I live in a place where the temperature varies from -35*C to +35*C. I still use the recommended 15W-50 meeting both API SC and JASO MA2 classifications. Even now in the winter.
When my bike's BMW warranty has ended, I will propably start using oils of other viscocitys. On my old bike, a R1200GS y.m. 2008, I used oil with viscocity according to the season. For that Bike BMW's oil recommendations were much wider. I still went outside the recomendations to suit my driving conditions. If I had had an engine break down, I wouldn't have dreamed of claiming a warranty repair. If my G310GS has an engine break down, I will and can claim warranty to be applicable because I have followed the manufacturer's recommendations.
The manufacturers of engines and oils do not make their recomendations just for the fun of it. If something goes wrong during the warranty period, the manufacturers will have to pay for the erroneous recommendations.

Making statments like Kris does, is misleading us not-so-experienced motorcyclists to risk our bikes warranty. It is of course for anybody to make their own choises for what oil to use, but let us at least not pretend to be experts, when we are not.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Changed.........

My bike is now back ‘Warranty Safe’

For sale..... 1.5L of slightly used (700km) Motul 10:40 oil :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
How do you make sure the oil is not harmful? By useing oil from a non-specific reputable oil company, or by following the manufacturers recomendations for oil standards and classifications?

It's free for any owner to pour whatever he/she likes in his/her engine, even olive oil as recomended by you (Porth) earlyer. It is also for any manufacturer to make specific demands on what oil standards and classifications to follow for their warranty to aply. In the case of wrong oil causing enginge damage after the warranty period, it's not anymore the manufacturers concern.
I live in a place where the temperature varies from -35*C to +35*C. I still use the recommended 15W-50 meeting both API SC and JASO MA2 classifications. Even now in the winter.
When my bike's BMW warranty has ended, I will propably start using oils of other viscocitys. On my old bike, a R1200GS y.m. 2008, I used oil with viscocity according to the season. For that Bike BMW's oil recommendations were much wider. I still went outside the recomendations to suit my driving conditions. If I had had an engine break down, I wouldn't have dreamed of claiming a warranty repair. If my G310GS has an engine break down, I will and can claim warranty to be applicable because I have followed the manufacturer's recommendations.
The manufacturers of engines and oils do not make their recomendations just for the fun of it. If something goes wrong during the warranty period, the manufacturers will have to pay for the erroneous recommendations.

Making statments like Kris does, is misleading us not-so-experienced motorcyclists to risk our bikes warranty. It is of course for anybody to make their own choises for what oil to use, but let us at least not pretend to be experts, when we are not.

What you say is fair comment - you obviously operate in far from average conditions! Unfortunately for us, the owner can't tell from the Standard what any individual oil may contain that would harm a particular motor. Opie Oils (a good site for info) has 48 API-SJ oils listed; these vary from full synthetic to Duckhams Q 20-50, a real blast from the past.

The JASO MA2 seems to refer to friction characteristics only, concerned with clutch compatability, though it does require a minimum API rating.

As BMW recommend API-SJ and JASO MA2, with a warning against molybdenum additives only on a "for example" basis, implying there may be other unsuitable additives, it is difficult for the owner to confidently judge what other oils than that recommended can be sure not to cause harm.

I don't know how much info oil manufacturers generally publish about the detail of such things but I suspect not much.

Motorcycling used to be so simple��

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts

If there is any doubt, don't use it! easy! My warranty period has run out, so I'm happy to use something that better suits the climate where I am. What exactly I don't know yet, until I know exactly, I will probably keep using the recommended oil.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
i am always surprised how gullible bikers are. I was called 'inexperienced' because of my objective views. it is so silly or childish, and in fact, indicates an utter lack of experience! do you really think that the manufacturer has some tricks in its sleeve? all the oils of good companies are Not good enough for that so-unrefined small 310 engine? wake up

all the bike manufacturers get money by making a deal with some oil companies. for instance, Kawasaki that I own uses ELF. Bmw made deal with Shell. Thriumh forces you to use Castrol. common guys, don't be so naive and insecure, and don't' be so anal about all the warranty issues.

Ok, let's assume that your engine fails and the dealer can give you trouble because of using other oil. What are you going to do? Simple, change the oil to a color that resembles the mineral Shell that BMW 'recommends'. Who can prove that you used the 'wrong' oil before? or someone said here that they will change the viscosity of the oil after the warranty is out. it makes no sense. how the dealer can identify what viscosity you are using? do you think they will go to some special forensic lab to verify that? they do not give a ....

·
Registered
175 Posts
... all the oils of good companies
Maybe you, in your great wisdom could enlighten us childish gullible and inexperienced naive biker newbies about who these "good companies" are? I feel so insecure about wheter I shuld use virgin olive oil or some more refinded olive oil. And also please tell us why the bad-reputable BMW Motorrad is tricking us to with their silly recomendations, like "do not use molybden based additives". Ah! Sorry, you've already answered this. They do it to lure away our money from us. And the viscocity recomendations are probaly by same reason. Sorry, stupid of me to thing anything els.

and don't' be so anal about all the warranty issues.
I'm sorry (again), but I do not get what my private parts has to do with this discusion. But then again, as you wrote to me in your private message, I'm only confused, arrogant and have psychological issues
in short, there is much wrong with you. the whole point of this forum is to discuss matters. you are just too arrogant to do so. you might just have psychological issues, that should not be confused with motorcycle knowlage.
Ok, let's assume that your engine fails and the dealer can give you trouble because of using other oil. What are you going to do? Simple, change the oil to a color that resembles the mineral Shell that BMW 'recommends'.
At least my engine oils are all black when I drain them. Are you suggesting I should change from black to .....black?

Who can prove that you used the 'wrong' oil before? or someone said here that they will change the viscosity of the oil after the warranty is out. it makes no sense. how the dealer can identify what viscosity you are using? do you think they will go to some special forensic lab to verify that? they do not give a ....
I doesn't need a forensic lab to do that. I supose you have never herd of companies who do analysys on oils A lot of bikers (and car owners) in the graet country of the USA send their engine oil for analyses after every oil change.

As you wrote in your private message quoted above: "the whole point of this forum is to discuss matters". Then lets discuss matters, instead of making insults and comments about other "inmate's" mental capacitys, levels of experience, credulity, naivity, arrogance etc.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
if you want to discuss matters, do not call anyone arrogant. this is an ugly way to approach any discussion because you are just dismissing what the other person says on a biased judgment. i express opinions that I believe to be true, and I try to be respectful and not offensive to anyone.

I have 10 bikes, which I service and modify, opening the whole engines, so i would not consider myself to be a novice in the field, even though there is always a place for learning.

when I say that the oil needs to be the same color, I obviously refer to not fully contaminated one. I do change the oil often.

do you really believe that the dealer would send your oil to a lab to make sure that it is the one recommended by BMW? the chance for this much much much smaller than your engine braking down. let's be realistic. many members here put aftermarket exhausts, right? wouldn't be the first thing that dealer could use as an excuse to void your warranty?

my bmw mechanic even said, when he visited me, that putting fog lights would void the warranty. am i going to wait for 3 years to have fun with the bike out of fear of having my warranty nullified? no way. i prefer to live in danger than in fear. if worse comes to worst, I will pay for the repair. since I have many bikes, how many km can I make in the small bmw anyway in 3 years? 5000 perhaps? all my expensive bikes are way beyond warranty. the term 'warranty' is an illusion of the American society's false security, kind of like mortgage and stuff.

anyway, i would appreciate if you did not attack me, because it is entirely irrational. the main reason I am part of this forum is not to give people advices but to learn stuff or to see what kind of issues people have with the bike. obviously, if i see that someone is uniformed, i will write something

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
i one more thing, if the engine brakes down and the dealer may question the warranty due to having non-recommended oil, it is easy to fix. just drain the engine and fit the bmw one. the dealer will not be any wiser.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts