BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know that BMW Motorrad North America offers an extension of your factory warranty? You can add an additional four years for just $1090...and that is bumper to bumper, unlimited mileage with the BMW Roadside Assistance. You can call any dealer for info...not all dealers participate...but we do here at BMW Detroit. The price is dependent on CC, but any BMW bike 1000cc and under is $1090. Your bike must be within the 3 years or 36,000 mile period (not in the demo extension). They have additional warranties if you are 36 months to 60 months out from your purchase date.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Did you know that BMW Motorrad North America offers an extension of your factory warranty? You can add an additional four years for just $1090...and that is bumper to bumper, unlimited mileage with the BMW Roadside Assistance. You can call any dealer for info...not all dealers participate...but we do here at BMW Detroit. The price is dependent on CC, but any BMW bike 1000cc and under is $1090. Your bike must be within the 3 years or 36,000 mile period (not in the demo extension). They have additional warranties if you are 36 months to 60 months out from your purchase date.
Where is BMW Motorrad's announcement of this "any BMW bike 1000cc and under for $1090" offer?

I'm a bit skeptical that they would charge the same for a G310GS and an S1000XR.

When I searched around BMW's web sites, I found their Ultimate Care Plans, but they omit single cylinder motorcycles from their list...

So, I repeat my question, where is BMW Motorrad's announcement of this "any BMW bike 1000cc and under for $1090" offer?

· Registered
277 Posts
HUH? This is so strange. I paid exactly 150 Leva at the BMW dealership for an extra 4 years (5 total)....straight from BMW.

That is 75 Euros.

I bought my bike at a huge BMW dealer in Varna, BG. They have been great...

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I would pay my dealer $1090 to NOT work on my bike. I'm under original warranty but DIY everything due to utter disappointment with workmanship.
That's not my experience, all my dealers have been excellent: Eurosport Asheville in NC for the last five years; Morton's BMW in VA for the 25 years before that; Bob's BMW in MD on the rare occasion when Morton's was too busy; and previously Cherokee now D2 in SC on occasion when Eurosport was busy. I've also had good buying experiences with Max BMW in the New York and Motorcycles of Charlotte in NC.

But that's not really the topic of this thread; I'm still waiting for the answer to my question above.

HUH? This is so strange. I paid exactly 150 Leva at the BMW dealership for an extra 4 years (5 total)....straight from BMW. That is 75 Euros. I bought my bike at a huge BMW dealer in Varna, BG. They have been great...
Here in the US, we get 36 month/36,000 miles included with the purchase of a any new BMW. Curious that you get one year, but 75 Euros gets you another four years is even more interesting.

· Registered
277 Posts
That's not my experience, all my dealers have been excellent: Eurosport Asheville in NC for the last five years; Morton's BMW in VA for the 25 years before that; Bob's BMW in MD on the rare occasion when Morton's was too busy; and previously Cherokee now D2 in SC on occasion when Eurosport was busy. I've also had good buying experiences with Max BMW in the New York and Motorcycles of Charlotte in NC.

But that's not really the topic of this thread; I'm still waiting for the answer to my question above.

Here in the US, we get 36 month/36,000 miles included with the purchase of a any new BMW. Curious that you get one year, but 75 Euros gets you another four years is even more interesting.
Agreed...I got 5 years total.
The 150 Leva was added to my bill + they threw in 6L of BMW oil and 3 filters.
+ delivered the bike in a cool Ford Transit van right to my seaside apartment 120k away.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Same story here. I love riding my r1150r once I get it moving. Short trips and multiple stops it will be the G310r.
I don't mind some weight on a road only bike. I spent two weeks playing in the Alps on an R1250R; it was nimble perfect for the switchbacks and twisty roads. At home, if I'm not going off-road, I ride a 498 lbs 2021 S1000XR. When I'm feeling even more aggressive, I take out my 459 lbs 2017 S100RR. Off road is an entirely different matter; 400 lbs is my personal max off-road. I think taking bikes that are 500+ lbs off-road is marketing ploy to sell big bikes, most of which go no where more hazardous than Starbucks. 🤯 To each his or her own. 😜

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Where is BMW Motorrad's announcement of this "any BMW bike 1000cc and under for $1090" offer?
I'm a bit skeptical that they would charge the same for a G310GS and an S1000XR.
When I searched around BMW's web sites, I found their Ultimate Care Plans, but they omit single cylinder motorcycles from their list...
So, I repeat my question, where is BMW Motorrad's announcement of this "any BMW bike 1000cc and under for $1090" offer?
I queried my dealer on this and they confirmed what the OP (@klouseau) said; here's their email reply to me...

START OF EMAIL

"Yes BMW does offer an extended warranty. It is simply a longer version of the one you have now. You can select the term of the warranty but most folks opt for the 84 month (total coverage). This does not add 84 months to the original 3 yrs. The pricing is below and can be purchased at any time before your original warranty expires, your expires on 1/13/2025. If you buy it after the warranty has lapsed it's 1.5x the cost.

Rectangle Font Electric blue Screenshot Parallel

Thanks for the question and I hope this clarifies the extended warranty process?

Regards,
Travis
Parts Team
Eurosport Asheville
828-255-6600

END OF EMAIL

· Registered
169 Posts
Very interesting. When I asked my dealer about an extended warranty, they gave me a sheet from RPM One, which is a well-known third-party warranty provider. It was expensive, though. For another 36 months/36,000miles they wanted something like $1,700.

The quote that you received, Jerry, seems like a pretty good deal to me, especially if what you're concerned about is catastrophic failure.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Very interesting. When I asked my dealer about an extended warranty, they gave me a sheet from RPM One, which is a well-known third-party warranty provider. It was expensive, though. For another 36 months/36,000miles they wanted something like $1,700. The quote that you received, Jerry, seems like a pretty good deal to me, especially if what you're concerned about is catastrophic failure.
It doesn't surprise me that your dealer had something different. The OP above said that "not all dealers participate". It would appear that your dealer has decided they can make more money via RPM. I wouldn't touch RPM with ten mile pole. Go to...

...they've got a great BBB rating, but drill into the customer reviews on the same page and you find that they have only 3.21 stars of 5 stars.

Everything I've every read on the subject of warranty extensions is that the only ones worth anything are the manufacturer's.

You should ask your dealer why they don't offer BMW's extended warranty.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I just asked my dealer and got answered the following questions...

Q: How many miles does it add to the warranty?
A: It's unlimited mileage during the time period purchased.

Q: Is there a BMW website where I can read the fine print?
A: The fine print on the warranty is in your manual you received when the bike was new. It's an extension of the factory term.

Wow!

· Registered
62 Posts
I have a comment and question regarding this.
First @JerryG I notice your quote attachment shows mini. Does your dealer deal in cars and motorcycles? Not sure how it works corporate wise for BMW but I’m thinking it might help determine who offers these vs third party.

And from what I’ve learned buying extended warranties on other vehicles, just because your dealer doesn’t sell it might not exactly mean you can’t purchase it from another dealer. It’s a BMW warranty so I’d expect they still have to honor it.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Does your dealer deal in cars and motorcycles?
No. Just BMW and KTM motorcycles. That's a screenshot of BMW provided software that my dealer uses.

P.S. You do know that BMW owns Mini, right: "With its four brands BMW, MINI, Rolls-Royce and BMW Motorrad, the BMW Group is the world's leading premium manufacturer of automobiles and motorcycles and also provides premium financial and mobility services."

Your second question seems to be, can I buy it at one BMW dealer, not my own BMW dealer for instance, and still use it at any dealer, including my own BMW dealer?

My dealer told me the fine print was in "your manual you received when the bike was new". I downloaded that manual from...

...it says...

To obtain warranty service coverage, the vehicle must be brought, upon
discovery of a defect in material or workmanship, to the workshop of any
authorized BMW Motorrad Dealer in the United States (including Puerto Rico)
during normal business hours.

The authorized BMW Motorrad Dealer will, without charge for parts and labor
(including diagnosis), either repair or replace the defective part(s) using new or
authorized remanufactured parts.

Seems pretty clear to me. It's language like this that makes manufacturer warranties so much better than third party's "extended service contracts".

· Registered
169 Posts
So does this mean that you can get the extended warranty from a dealer even though you didn't buy the bike from that dealer? This seems like too good of a deal to be true, especially compared to the offer I got.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts