BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have had a whole new frame, the engine management module replaced as idling at 4-5000 rpm, now it’s gone again and in for the same idling problem, 2600 miles I have done in total and all I have had is problems, I love my 310gs but I don’t think I can live with a motorbike that I have no trust in working correctly, bmw uk Motorrad are appalling and the customer complaints dept are beyond a joke, first bmw and it will be my last .

·
Registered
18 Posts
So far I have had a whole new frame, the engine management module replaced as idling at 4-5000 rpm, now it’s gone again and in for the same idling problem, 2600 miles I have done in total and all I have had is problems, I love my 310gs but I don’t think I can live with a motorbike that I have no trust in working correctly, bmw uk Motorrad are appalling and the customer complaints dept are beyond a joke, first bmw and it will be my last .
Sad to hear you're bike's having issues. I had a high idle on my bike and they had to replace the idle air control actuator:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idle_air_control_actuator

I was able to ride the bike with high idle while waiting for the part (took a month to come from Germany to California).

https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/153-engines-technical-discussion/8782-idle-around-3500-4000-rpms.html

Hope you're able to get yours worked out and get back on the road

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I also feel there are more problems than normal, and persistent ones that come back on the same bikes multiple times. Also there have been many complaints about the poor service from BMW including the lack of spare parts and the time it takes to get them to the dealer. One month to get something from Germany to California? Really. I have been lucky with my G310R (knock on wood) and also I have back-up bikes if disaster should strike, but BMW ownership should not be like this. Reminds me of what happened to Mercedes some years ago, that they are still digging back out from.

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have started to research for a replacement for myself. I have no confidence in keeping this for long term. I'll change it before warranty runs out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have started to research for a replacement for myself. I have no confidence in keeping this for long term. I'll change it before warranty runs out.
Japanese bike is much reliable than indian bike.... Bmw just a sticker. I have also lose trust in the bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at alternatives -: Honda CB500x (bit heavy), R E Himalayan (More problems than JZ), Kawasaki Versys 300 (Possible but don't like ABS you cant switch off)), Suzuki Vstrom 250 (Bit of a plodder). This has lead me to the conclusion that the 310GS is the best option but only if I can get a quantified answer to why the same module has gone wrong twice, First time it went wrong was on an offroad trip Salisbury plains (4000rpm idle using clutch to control and breaking is not my idea of fun). 2nd time just leaving for day out on bike with mates and it happens again (they sent me the standard by the sea pictures with ice creams to rub it in) , is it better the 310GS with limited problems .... probably and most definitely if the BMW Motorrad/Dealers in the UK were not such arrogant twats. So what to do ?

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
Looking at alternatives -: Honda CB500x (bit heavy), R E Himalayan (More problems than JZ), Kawasaki Versys 300 (Possible but don't like ABS you cant switch off)), Suzuki Vstrom 250 (Bit of a plodder). This has lead me to the conclusion that the 310GS is the best option but only if I can get a quantified answer to why the same module has gone wrong twice, First time it went wrong was on an offroad trip Salisbury plains (4000rpm idle using clutch to control and breaking is not my idea of fun). 2nd time just leaving for day out on bike with mates and it happens again (they sent me the standard by the sea pictures with ice creams to rub it in) , is it better the 310GS with limited problems .... probably and most definitely if the BMW Motorrad/Dealers in the UK were not such arrogant twats. So what to do ?
I think it may not be the module, some other users have reported a loose "idle screw"?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it may not be the module, some other users have reported a loose "idle screw"?
I did my research when it first happened and also told the BMW dealer this but they said it was not that and replaced the module, they are now doing full diagnostics check on loom and sensors so I will report what they find.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well BMW techs at dealers are replacing DEM module (ECU) 2nd one in a 1000 miles they cannot find why it keeps going wrong, not much help to me as now I will be waiting for it to go wrong again, so my stance is I will happily take the motorbike back but if it goes wrong for a third time I will want a full refund of the purchase price of the motorbike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My GS is back in Service center. Last 4 days I had issues in startingthe bike. It use to take 4 to 5 long start button press to get her started. Apparently, Battery and Alternator are not the problem said the service guy after checking the usual suspects. Now they are investigating as to why the bike does not start. Fuel Pump? Spark Plug? Flooding of fuel? Will get to know probably today.

Bike had been to Service center 2 months back when the radiator fan failed and replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quick update on the status

Apparently the starter motor needs to be replaced. Part not available immediately with the Service Center. They have ordered it. Wait begins...

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
Quick update on the status

Apparently the starter motor needs to be replaced. Part not available immediately with the Service Center. They have ordered it. Wait begins...

As I mentioned before, BMW should have a full store of spares in each country so that spare parts can be posted overnight express to every dealer, shouldn't cost them more than the cost of one or two bikes.

I understand that you are in India, they should be able to get the part to you within 24 hours as the bike is manufactured there.

Make sure you complain if the part does not arrive very soon!

·
Registered
32 Posts
As I mentioned before, BMW should have a full store of spares in each country so that spare parts can be posted overnight express to every dealer, shouldn't cost them more than the cost of one or two bikes.

I understand that you are in India, they should be able to get the part to you within 24 hours as the bike is manufactured there.

Make sure you complain if the part does not arrive very soon!

@porth,

I understand that the part will arrive by Friday/Saturday and I should be able to get my bike on Monday. That means my bike will be at Service Center for more than 11 days. Getting parts with India should have been overnight (ideally available with service center off the shelf). But in last 5 months, my bike has been at Service center twice apart from regular servicing. First Radiator fan replaced and now starter motor. Electricals has been the weakest point on this bike. BMW seriously needs to revisit the entire electricals. You cannot have your customers stranded on the road, this often.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have had my 310GS for 13 months of which 5 weeks it has been in a BMW garage on 3 occasions for repair under warranty, It has ruined two motorbike trips away and now it is also having the brake calipers done under a PUMA from BMW, I know all motorbikes have problems but I went for the BMW brand on purpose for peace of mind ..... maybe I should of looked more to the land of the rising sun.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts