BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
1,082 Posts
I’d second the desire for larger tank. Good luck with that. There are however all sorts fuel carrying alternatives. Seriously doubt any aftermarket inbound but I’m wrong more than correct so let’s hope. Who knows perhaps BMW will come out with a 310GSA.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
I know I know no hassleman but it’s a dull world without dreams. Reality is just so dank right now. Time to go ride.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
It wouldn’t be hard to add an extra tank, check out what “iron butt” riders do. But how much range do you need? Really nice gas carriers about. I find it’s a good bike to get off and stretch every couple hours irrespective

Reactions: LewisNClark

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thankyou all for your responses...sure the bike would get heavy with a larger fuel tank but i would worry more about the range than extra weight...anyways looking and scouting for more and more options to fix my range anxiety...200miles tank not enough considering how comfortable the bike is for long distance journey for its class

· Registered
57 Posts
Tail Bag + (2) of These. Both of them fit in a Nelson Rigg CL-1060-S2 Black Commuter Sport Motorcycle Tail Bag
Along with a battery powered tire pump, extra tools, snacks etc. Strap it on the back and you are good to go. Bottle Liquid Bottle cap Product Fluid

· Registered
38 Posts
<<200miles tank not enough considering how comfortable the bike is for long distance journey for its class.>>

There aren't many places in this country (assuming you are in the US) where gas stations are more than 200 miles apart. And you can always strap on an auxiliari container(s) for a bit more range, as suggested in the post above. Also, having a database of gas station location along is helpful.

Reactions:MotoCoco

· Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone...the stock fuel tank capacity of GS310 is incapable doing of long distance touring...has anyone changed or tried to increase the tank size or if there is any other options? please let me know...cheers!

Get one of these:
Or these

· Registered
24 Posts
im currently on a 10-15k trip now. I taken 2 x 6L fuel bladders with me but have not needed to use them once. now im back on the coast and heading home again soon, I will certainly not need them.

I rode to cape york and back doing the old telegraph track and that was the worst of it and still didnt need the extra fuel.
I get 300k to a tank and at worst I get around 220k if its lots of slow hard stuff and sand

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Not that long ago, many would say “you’ll never replace the horse”.……. the driving factor for the motor car was intense horse excrement pollution problem. Technology will solve the issues as they arise and are profitable.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
When I was considering what adventure bike to get, one the things I focused on was range. The 310GS plus one extra gallon of gas (~6 lbs) is on par with the R1250GS in terms of range, but it would take roughly three extra gallons of gas (~18 lbs) to be on par with the R1250GSA. Because of this, when I choose the 310GS, I also bought 4 1L MSR fuel bottles with the intent to adjust how much I carry based on how easy gas is to get along my planned route.

On my 7,000 mile North Carolina/Missouri/Nova Scotia/NEBDR trip this last June, I carried two 1L MSR bottles of fuel. The only time I actually used one of them was to help a Harley rider who ran out of fuel 1-1/2 miles short of his intended fuel stop. I'm planning on more BDRs next season and I will continue to carry at least 2L of extra fuel, but may up that to 4L for some of the western BDRs.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
I had an 1150GSA with the 9? Gallon tank. Found that while neat for traveling, it was hard to live with day to day riding. Combined with fuel that doesn’t set well the only thing I liked about the humongous thing was it were sexy. One just has to be smart and plan ahead, a hard thing for yours truly. I could get talked into carrying an expensive fuel can from store (non ethanol) meant for power equipment only because it’s sealed quite well. Leaking fuel containers have bit me before. Like J man I’ve mostly used extra fuel for others , the GSA did excell at that.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts