BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Guys, it doesn't get simpler and cleaner (no mouth needed) than this...

See post #32 above for more info. Note: Safety Siphon is one brand of this type of syphon; another brand is called Shaker Siphon.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
There’s another issue with siphoning. Many modern cars have anti siphoning devices installed. Pretty much since the 80s when fuel got pricey. I’d say the smarter course of action is planning, this is the age of amazing information. Second part being carrying fuel to augment range. One thing to recall is running completely out is not a good idea. The fuel pump depends fuel for it’s cooling and lubrication. Running real low can shorten fuel pump life. The makers of Armadillo bags is having a half off sale on nifty fuel bags, which would seem a wise way to go.
The shaker siphon is a great tool, will assist in not swallowing petrol when siphoning in dark.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
When I bought my Mosko Moto Reckless 80 in November, 2021, right after I bought my 310GS, I also bought 4 each 1-liter MSR fuel bottles because each of the Reckless 80's two Aux Pox pouches can hold two. That's also when I bought my Safety Siphon. I like the flexibility these items give me. On my Nova Scotia trip, I carried two of the MSR bottles. On my upcoming DVNR/CABDR ride in March, I'll carry all four bottles and the siphon. For my MABDR/PAWBDR-X/BMW National Rally ride in May/June, I'll carry one bottle and the siphon because I'll be traveling with a friend who has a F850GSA and the GSA with it's six gallon gas tank can be our main extra fuel source. I looked at the Armadillo bags, both back then and yesterday given their 50%off sale (thanks @ARBOLMANO), but decided my current four MSR 1-liter bottles & Safety Siphon are more flexible given that Armadillo's smallest bag is a gallon.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Yes! The buddy system works. With my GSA’s 10 gallon tank, I even had a port so I could pump fuel out for friends. That was a neat and bogus feature of that bike. The only advantage of the bag system over bottles might be in hot weather bouncing about. I’ve had the experience of expanding fuel becoming pressurized and either leaking or spewing as you struggle to open. I could see the bags as having a little more expansive qualities. Again though, a gallon of extra fuel seems over kill unless heading into the never never.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Yes! The buddy system works. With my GSA’s 10 gallon tank, I even had a port so I could pump fuel out for friends. That was a neat and bogus feature of that bike. The only advantage of the bag system over bottles might be in hot weather bouncing about. I’ve had the experience of expanding fuel becoming pressurized and either leaking or spewing as you struggle to open. I could see the bags as having a little more expansive qualities. Again though, a gallon of extra fuel seems over kill unless heading into the never never.
MSR fuel bottles in the Reckless 80 Aux Pox pouches are secured by three straps, two laterally across the bottles and one between the bottles holding the lanyard they give you to tie the caps together (see below; but he botched using the lanyard since it's only connected to one of the bottle lids), so no bouncing around or at least no more than the whole motorcycle is getting. That said, they do become pressurized and you do need to cover the lid with your hand or something as you open it so you contain wisps of gas/vapor. Like our gas tanks, you have to leave expansion space in the MSR bottles; I find that that happens naturally because gas pump gas comes out so fast it foams out of the bottle and when you let that settle, the bottle is only 80% full or so. Of course, you have to factor that into your thinking, it's a partial liter, not a full liter.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Fuel tank Automotive tire

· Registered
1,082 Posts
It’s crazy the power of moving molecules. Add energy and they move faster. I’ve had fun times with that. Fuel bottles that were difficult to open due to contracting fuel forming strong vacuum and of course the gas sprtiz in hot weather. Ethanol fuel has a lifetime of 30 to 60 days, be sure and rotate bottle fuel regular. Not a bad idea to put some treatment in the bottle if storing long. That was one pull of a bag, I’m less likely to leave it set with fuel than a bottle.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
It’s crazy the power of moving molecules. Add energy and they move faster. I’ve had fun times with that. Fuel bottles that were difficult to open due to contracting fuel forming strong vacuum and of course the gas sprtiz in hot weather. Ethanol fuel has a lifetime of 30 to 60 days, be sure and rotate bottle fuel regular. Not a bad idea to put some treatment in the bottle if storing long. That was one pull of a bag, I’m less likely to leave it set with fuel than a bottle.
Good point, but there's an easier way: One of the folks I ride with has a practice that as soon as his motorcycle's tank has enough room, he empties his fuel bottle into the tank. He always carries a siphon, so if someone else needs gas, they can use the siphon and the empty bottle to make a transfer. In the meantime, the fuel never gets old because the bottle gets refilled at the next fuel stop.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
That would mean having my chit together. Just like recollecting only .8L per bottle in calculating fuel needs. That kinda mind left me long ago. My practice is carry the bottle in outer pocket as in case I screw up and if I don’t need it, I’ll forget to add in mix. Its not easy being me.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
That would mean having my chit together. Just like recollecting only .8L per bottle in calculating fuel needs. That kinda mind left me long ago. My practice is carry the bottle in outer pocket as in case I screw up and if I don’t need it, I’ll forget to add in mix. Its not easy being me.
OK, make your way work for you: Fill bottle; add stabilizer; write date on bottle with Sharpie; carry bottle up to two years before dumping it in your tank and refilling the bottle. Just make sure you check the date before each trip.

· Registered
G310GS 2018
802 Posts
My solution to problem with gasoline from petrol/gas/benzine/fuel stations is to have alkylate gasoline (sythetic benzin) in the spare canister/bottle. The alkylate gasoline (aka small engine benzine) is sold in many hardware stores and commonly used (in the Nordic countries at least) for lawn movers and chain saws etc. The alkylate gasoline doesn't age like the gas you get from gas stations.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
My solution to problem with gasoline from petrol/gas/benzine/fuel stations is to have alkylate gasoline (sythetic benzin) in the spare canister/bottle.
Yes! The no hassle man has a proper left fielder..them ice bikers are a smart bunch.
Yes and no. Unopened in the original can, yes, it has a five year shelf life. However, once opened, it only has a two year shelf life which is the same as the two year shelf life of plain gasoline with stabilizer added. So if you can carry the original unopened container on your bike, great. Otherwise, it costs more and has no advantage over stabilized gasoline.

· Registered
G310GS 2018
802 Posts
has no advantage over stabilized gasoline
The advantage is I don't have to go to two different shops, one for the fuel and one for the stabilizer. Gas stations in my part of the world sell everything ells but motoring related stuff, besides gas. Stabilizer has to be bought from a car part shop that I seldom visit, hardware store I frequently go to. But in a free world everybody does as hi/she/it/don't-want-to-tell pleases. I'm to stubborn to change a working method, so I keep to my ways ;)

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I'm to stubborn to change a working method, so I keep to my ways
You taught me about alkylate gasoline, I taught you(?) others (?) that it only lasts two years out of the original bottle so it's functionally the same as stabilized gas. Both are actionable info that might help someone when they need it. That's enough change for me.

· Registered
G310GS 2018
802 Posts
You taught me about alkylate gasoline, I taught you(?) others (?) that it only lasts two years out of the original bottle so it's functionally the same as stabilized gas. Both are actionable info that might help someone when they need it. That's enough change for me.
One of the biggest reasons I hang around here is that I learn a lot about a lot. Sometimes I also get a chance to contribute.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
We are all moto junkies looking for the next fix. As we approach maturity there’s a strong pull to share the experience. Note approaching maturity, not maturing at least not me.

• Wow
Reactions: JerryG
41 - 60 of 61 Posts