BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere a few weeks ago that BMW are doing a modification (maybe engine mapping or something similar) which helps prevent the stalling of the bike!
Sadly as usual I can’t find where I read this.

Does anyone know of this mod and if it has had any benefit ?

I’m having my bike serviced by BMW soon and I want to make sure EVERYTHING is taken care of.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
I just fitted smaller sprocket in the front and bigger at the rear, so no longer stalling issues which is caused by high gearing

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I don't stall it as much anymore as before. Never stalled any of my other 10+ bikes over 40 years, like, ever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry. Stalling is a symptom of an inexperienced rider. Learn the clutch.
It's funny watching experienced riders stall the 310 when they come from a bigger bike /forum/images/G310Rforum/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
Inexperienced or experienced the bike has very little flywheel inertia and will therefore, relatively speaking, stall easily off the line. Even more so with tight technical off-roading.

As stated shortening up the gearing helps and for street riding you’ll eventually adapt don’t worry about anyone thinking they’re better than you because of it all.

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
I don't stall it as much anymore as before. Never stalled any of my other 10+ bikes over 40 years, like, ever.
I stalled it just recently, only because I was in second taking off at the lights, lurched forward, stalled, immediately pulled the clutch and restarted while still rolling forward, I doubt that the cars behind me even realized what happened. I also stalled when I got a loaner G310R while mine was in service, maybe because the engine was cold, it wasn't ridden in as much as mine, or because the clutch was set differently.

·
Registered
748 Posts
it is not just a matter of being inexperienced. of course, one can prevent stalling by learning how to use the clutch, but in this bike, one has to use the clutch too much due to unreasonably high gearing. on the other hand, for those who ride on highways, higher gearing allows to reach higher speed and improves fuel consumption; so one has to prioritize.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Those who stall the bike are often the ones who have no experience on a dirt bike. Off-road experience really helps when riding a street bike. Sorry, clutching is an advanced technique. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I stalled several times when getting a feel for the bike. But I was also used to 650cc engines and a different friction zone. When in doubt, I give a bit more throttle and ease off the clutch lever more slowly. As small as this bike is, I doubt I'm wearing the clutch plates too badly. Besides, they're designed to wear. I usually keep the engine between 3k and 4k RPM when starting from a stop.

Unless there's a mistake in the fuel map and the engine is running lean or not passing emissions, I doubt BMW would change the factory settings.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Unless there's a mistake in the fuel map and the engine is running lean or not passing emissions, I doubt BMW would change the factory settings.
As of today (actually yesterday) BMW, in old fashion East German way, does not even recognize a stalling problem on the G310GS/R. Neither is there a cold start issue, except mayby in China ;-).
I had an email discussion with BMW Motorrad about the matter yesterday. I wanted to have a firmware upgrade on my bike done in conjunction with the brake recall inspection. As per my GS-911 diagnostic tool, the firmware on my bike is dated 17/08/17. I usualy do not stall and so far, I have managed to get the bike started even in cold weather. Then again, the temperature has never been below -6*C when I've tried to start the bike.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Those who stall the bike are often the ones who have no experience on a dirt bike.
I have had 2 off-road bikes that I've never stalled since buying them 12 years ago. I have lots of exerience with clutches (including with manual trans cars). The BMW I've stalled at least 10 times.

I am convinced the reason some of us are having this problem is that not all 310s have very good clutches. They vary in quality so some are fine and others are not. I dread every traffic light where I am out front (so every traffic light, thank you California for allowing lane splitting like everywhere except the other United States states.)!

·
Registered
102 Posts
A bad caliper could be dragging, making stalling easier. A tight chain can bind enough to cause a stall also, so make sure you have the correct amount of slack. At what RPM do you guys usually start coming off the clutch? I can't remember if the forum rules allow external links, but here's a dyno test for our bike. Coming off the clutch at 3400RPM could help if you're starting near idle.
https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-bmw-g310gs-dyno/

Regarding the cold start issue, I can definitely confirm that I had trouble getting mine started below +6C. Even in neutral, I have to roll on quite a lot of throttle to get it to start, and every now and then it will stall at idle before it warms up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
you do need a good feel for the clutch. it does develop over time..
Mine is obviously not as bad as some ,but does require concentration to get a smooth take-off.
[but I do have one of the worst cold starters :-( under 5'c is a non-runner ]

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think its very bad when someone who does not know anyone really on this forum says that it is inexperience stalling a bike. There are far too many factors involved to make a judgement like that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As of today (actually yesterday) BMW, in old fashion East German way, does not even recognize a stalling problem on the G310GS/R. Neither is there a cold start issue, except mayby in China ;-).
I had an email discussion with BMW Motorrad about the matter yesterday. I wanted to have a firmware upgrade on my bike done in conjunction with the brake recall inspection. As per my GS-911 diagnostic tool, the firmware on my bike is dated 17/08/17. I usualy do not stall and so far, I have managed to get the bike started even in cold weather. Then again, the temperature has never been below -6*C when I've tried to start the bike.
Last year , cold start issue in China becomes a huge PR disaster. Lots of 310 riders are laughed by others by cannot start. All kinds of media reported that. At that moment, BMW did not respond. Meanwhile, used 310 value dropped significantly partially because of this cold start issue. I think in some major cities, like Beijing, they even have hundred people- size group, mainly discussed how to fight with BMW regarding this issue and how to solve this issue by themselves.

Sure, if you dont care about what others said, good for you. But if you waited in front of red light, another rider , no matter what he rides, the first question, can you ride/start in winer? You feel like you were an idiot buying this bike(for some owners).

I think BMW is try to repair the PR damage in china now.

Or you can think BMW is trying to use Chinese markets as a trail, because I saw some people have stall issues (in the past they dont have or not that bad) and not-stable idling after that upgrade.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Tiger 800 used to have stalling issues too, which was a common complaint. And it was as well related to high gearing.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Last year , cold start issue in China becomes a huge PR disaster. Lots of 310 riders are laughed by others by cannot start. All kinds of media reported that. At that moment, BMW did not respond. Meanwhile, used 310 value dropped significantly partially because of this cold start issue. I think in some major cities, like Beijing, they even have hundred people- size group, mainly discussed how to fight with BMW regarding this issue and how to solve this issue by themselves.

Sure, if you dont care about what others said, good for you. But if you waited in front of red light, another rider , no matter what he rides, the first question, can you ride/start in winer? You feel like you were an idiot buying this bike(for some owners).

I think BMW is try to repair the PR damage in china now.

Or you can think BMW is trying to use Chinese markets as a trail, because I saw some people have stall issues (in the past they dont have or not that bad) and not-stable idling after that upgrade.
If people had issues with starting the bike at the trafic light, it is not a cold start issue as the engine is already hot. Stalling is another matter...and it should not have an influence of starting the bike from the first gear...

·
Registered
748 Posts

If people had issues with starting the bike at the traffic light, it is not a cold start issue as the engine is already hot. Stalling is another matter...and it should not have an influence on starting the bike ...

·
Registered
148 Posts
If people had issues with starting the bike at the trafic light, it is not a cold start issue as the engine is already hot. Stalling is another matter...and it should not have an influence of starting the bike from the first gear...
If you would like to make any comments, plz read and try to understand first:) pLEASE ignore my message in the future, I am tired of seeing your nonsense and arrogant comments, thanks:smile2:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts