BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

BMW Navigator V installation

21K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  XRaiders 
#1 ·
One of the items I wanted to put on my daughter's bike is a GPS. I purchased a new Navigator VI for my GS and decided to mount the Nav V on the 310. After talking with my parts guy, he said there was some difficulty with getting the cradle and mounting brackets made for the bike. The part number in question is: 77538388827. While I was in the dealership, I checked out the other bikes to see what mounts were being used. For the ultimate minimalistic look, the mount I saw on the R1200R was the smallest version. It is not lockable, like the cradle on the GS. This is part number 65908535826

Underneath the headlight assembly, you will find a 12VDC switched power connection. It is the connector with the markings, 7543312-02. The orange is +. The cable which comes with the GPS connector has two white male connectors. For my installation, since I only wanted power connected to the GPS, made a jumper to connect the red wire from the mount to the orange wire for +, and black to black for -. All connections were sealed from the environment, and reassembled.

I made the two aluminum pieces to fit the ProTaper Yamaha Mini bars I was installing at the same time. These were made to fit the 0.500" crossbar, providing plenty of clamping force and more robust than the factory plastic mounts. At the same time, my daughter picked out a set of ProGrip blue/black grips to give a better feel. To install new bars, you will need to locate and drill two holes in the handlebar to use with the locating/anti-rotation pins in each control pod. This is a recommended step. Using the crossbar for mounting the GPS also will allow installation of the MRA windscreen without any interference between the two mounting area fighting for the same space to the handlebar clamping bolts.

I did order a set of adjustable levers for this bike, yet when received, they are completely different that was was visually represented from the Amazon seller. I hope to get this resolved shortly.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a (quite) old TomTom Rider2 but it still works perfectly.
This device I will put on my G310R and I'm thinking of using the (Original) RAM mount.
I put the accesoire socket on the bike and I'm thinking of using that for the Navi-power.

On my F800ST I had three batteries that went dead because 'power was leaking' and draining the battery quite fast (my dealer told me !).
That risk I want to avoid and after getting off the bike, I want to disconnect the mount completely from the battery (pull the plug !)

At the moment it is not really a nice time to work on the beamer (to cold) so the little things I want to change / adjust will have to wait for warmer times.

#5 ·
Bas310, did you wire in the accessory plug directly to the battery? The connection provided for by BMW behind the headlight does not provide any power when the key is switched off. I, too, have killed several batteries from devices connected directly to the battery. The last item was my HID ballasts. I found one which had a parasitic current draw, taking about two weeks to drain a fully charged unit due to inactivity.

#6 ·
I was able to take the bike out to test both the handling difference with the new handlerbars, grips and the GPS mount. The placement about ideal. You can see both the instrument cluster and GPS without one blocking the other.

I also took the opportunity to do a top speed run. Conditions were 57 degrees F, 1825ft above sea level, and a 175lbs rider. Four runs were done with the top speed shown by the GPS. The speedometer was showing 99mph while the GPS was at 97mph. I am unsure if the speedo has more than two digits for its display. I will have to do additional comparisons to see how much different between the actual speed recorded by GPS versus the speedo at normally traveled speeds.

Attachments

#9 ·
AzizaVFR
I (or actually my dealer) wired the original accessory plug on the original wire (left side under the seat)
I don't know or didn't know there is another connection provided for by BMW behind the headlight.

On my F800ST it did ( wired over the 'key') and even with the power off, the battery ran flat in days.

Now I will use the accessory plug and when leaving the bike, unplug the navigation device (TomTom Rider 2) and leave the plug somewhere under the seat.
Yes, some extra work but I will have power to start the bike.

Thanks for your advice

#10 ·
7543312-02 Connector

Hi Folks, does anybody recognise the 7543312-02 connector as a standard type? I am thinking of wiring a 12V to 5V to USB C for my phone to charge when using the sat nav app. It would be an easier job if the connector was an easy to source part.

#14 ·
I used a set of extra male / female connectors I had with the my 3D printer, using the male connectors for the bike side, and female for the cradle connections. All were sealed and made to survive the vibrations. I am also looking for the corresponding waterproof connector under the headlight housing.

Reactions: Medicine Man
#22 ·
The ProTaper bars are more flat across the span versus the stock units. The feel is for my daughter and I feels better, almost the same sitting position as my 2015 Honda Grom using the same bars. The two locating holes for the controls is the only modification you have to do. One thing to note, the straight areas for the mirrors is shorter than OEM, and it will cause you to mount the mirrors and control pods really close together.

#18 ·
Hello All,
I just recently purchased the 310GS and have a Nav V cradle that I would like to install on the moto. BMW lists the cradle and Nav as an accessory for the bike and even provides install instructions (provided by my local dealer).

After going thru the process of removing the front plastics and access to the backside of the instrument cluster, there are (2) accessory ports at the end of the wiring harness for the entire bike. Neither of these ports will plug into the Nav V wiring harness. I cannot find the male fitting on the wiring harness in this area that is suppose to plug direct into the Nav V wiring harness. Has anyone found this male port and if so, where is it on the bike?

Thanks in advance for the help!

#21 ·
The white plug (from the Nav5), will have three connections. The plug on the GS will only have two connections. It appears that BMW are using different plugs on the 310’s to all their other bikes as it is not canbus electrics.

I fitted a Garmin 595 and had a spare white accessory plug to use, but due to above, ended up just splicing the GPS power wires to the plug.

It could be possible that BMW have a converter plug for this.

#20 ·
I have used a cell phone in a X-Claw mount with google maps and location for my GPS system on every bike I have had in the last 3-4 years. I have never had a phone failure due to vibration nor water damage. I have been using a cheap ( under $125 ) LG K-7 phone for the last 2 years and it still works great. **** I can buy a new LG phone every year for 6 or 7 years upgrading as I go for less than a current Motorcycle GPS unit. Also for $6 a month on my phone plan they would cover loss, theft, damage from physical or water, and a host of other things up to a limit of $999 ( I don't bother to purchase this as my phone is not worth it ). So for me a dedicated GPS is a waste of money. In addition the X-Claw mount is rubber mounted and is very secure and almost vibration free ( cost about $50 ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.