BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my first service at about 800km. No charge. Generally things are fine but since new the bike has had a very annoying resonant booming noise starting at 4000 rpm and lasting till 5000rpm. Well, wind noise probably drowns out everything thereafter. Comfortably quiet below 4000rpm. Didn't notice this problem when I had a ride on the demo bike. Had hoped the service might improve things, but no. Asked mechanic to check silencer and engine mountings but to no effect. Anyone any suggestions other than earplugs. Dealer suggested changing helmet!

·
Registered
935 Posts
HTWB
I thought you were making a joke about earplugs but reading your dealers advice about changing your helmet ......
Because the G310R has no fairing or windscreen you are sitting in the wind and that will give you a steady and ‘regular’ noise.
No booming or other noise, just a steady noise from the wind (except when you are riding in a storm)

You have to find out where that noise comes from.
I would suggest to run it onto the right temperature and then open the throttle to 4 or 5000 rpm, standing on the side stand, and listen if something is vibrating or booming (there is another thread on a defect exhaust)
Nothing abnormal too hear, ride it with no earplugs and if possible, no helmet (in first gear) and try to find out if and where the booming noise comes from. Maby you can ask a pal to listen when you pass if he or she hears something strange.
Last but least, try another helmet but I don’t think it’s the helmet (or you have a 100 year old leather cap 😜)
Hope this will help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I rode a different bike, followed by the 310R the next day. Until that point, I hadn't realized how aggressive the resonant boom/drone is. I ride with a (quiet) Shoei helmet and still needed earplugs to drown the sound out.
Just the nature of the beast I think.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Generally, earplugs are always needed on a “naked” bike.
Or any bike for that matter, unless riding slowly.
My KTM is OK up to about 40mph and then the general racket (engine, road, wind noise) becomes too much.
I have an Arai helmet which is supposed to be quiet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts