BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

As the title says, quick question. I bought a cheapo charger a couple of years ago and it works a treat on normal batteries, can I use it on the new Lithium battery?

·
Registered
259 Posts
RTFM, if it says it's suitable for lithium-ion, then it will work fine. And if you have thrown away the manual, find the label on the charger and use a adequate search engine to find necessary data (based on the information on the label) from the BIG World Wide Web.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RTFM, if it says it's suitable for lithium-ion, then it will work fine. And if you have thrown away the manual, find the label on the charger and use a adequate search engine to find necessary data (based on the information on the label) from the BIG World Wide Web.
Thanks for the arsey reply I also like sarcasm.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks for the arsey reply I also like sarcasm.
Arsey!? You ask about general information on something battery related on a forum for a specific motorcycle model. As you are, or should be, the most probable holder of the documentation containing the asked information, I only advised you to read the fantastic manual. I have in my possession a workshop manual for the BMW G310 and G310GS motorcycles and I can assure you there is, and will not be, any information regarding lithium ion batteries.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No but somebody may have done the same and 100% know the answer. If you didn't, just scroll past. RTFM (Arsey) BIG World Wide Web. (Arsey)

·
Registered
259 Posts
No but somebody may have done the same and 100% know the answer. If you didn't, just scroll past. RTFM (Arsey) BIG World Wide Web. (Arsey)
As this doesn't concern the BMW G320GS/R or others in this community, I suggest we continue discussing arseyness and other related matters over PM's, shall we?.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really sure what part of this makes you think I'd like to talk to you via PM? I genuinely have other things to do

·
Super Moderator
1,035 Posts
Not really sure what part of this makes you think I'd like to talk to you via PM? I genuinely have other things to do
Like looking for the manual? LOL

But seriously, I read somewhere that cheap battery chargers don't work that well with lithium batteries. I've never had to use a charger for my lithium battery, it's gone weeks without a charge and the bike fired up nicely each time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the manual you got with your charger was as useful as mine then it will be of no help at all. I was thinking of installing one of these Lithium batteries on my G310R but was told it is better to stick with lead acid by a BMW tech guy. Helpfully he could not say why so not much use. Like charger manuals! This is why asking a question on the forum can enlighten those innocently asking for help and not being told to RTFM etc. As an aside, I have a gel mat battery that needs a very low voltage to charge it. My cheap charger is ideal for this but my CTEK is too 'powerful'. Neither charger's manual was any help working this out, the info that helped coming from, you guessed it, a forum.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would have asked the manufacturer of the battery, if I wouldn't get answers there, I would have asked on a battery forum. Asking on a motorcycle forum for a specific brand and model, would not have been my option.
I would also not considered the price tag as a reference for the ability of a charger's possibility to charge different batteries. But YMMV.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The battery mfr says that a lithium specific charger is required so why is this even a question. Check with the charger mfr to see if it is compatible with lithium. BTW the ctek is a smart charger, I doubt that it is "too powerful".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts