1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
BMW G310 GS 2019
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fashion accessory Metal Personal protective equipment Rectangle Font

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

Production of Brake Extensioner Plate.
After a couple of hour in the saddle, I feel like most of other G310GS owner that the brake pedal is too small and in case of a emegency stop it is very easy to miss the pedal with the shoe.
On several bikes I have own or drive, I feel the same situation, and I now made a solution of this problem with this option that I now have in production.
This kit is now in production to BMW bikes, and more to come when I have tested and make them in my shop.
There will be other models later on that will be produced.

This is a prototype and later on I will made this with countersunk screws instead of this ordinary screws that are visibly on the pictures.

I also will make personal fitted sizes of this if there is need for that.

Font Rectangle Metal Fashion accessory Brand
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Bicycle part

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Guitar accessory Finger Automotive lighting Nickel Musical instrument accessory

Jaw Automotive lighting Finger Automotive tire Bumper

Font Auto part Automotive exterior Metal Nickel

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I like, but...

If you intend that for off road, you need something with teeth. Off road, in motion, in situations where you need the rear brake, with a simple plate like yours, the foot will slip off the plate as often as not. One easy way to have those teeth is leave the exposed bolt heads or even add more exposed bolt heads rather than switching to countersunk screws.

The brake lever I have from AliExpress below shows what I mean by exposed bolts...though I do wish the brake pad itself was larger like the size of the one you're making.

Bicycle part Auto part Font Fashion accessory Tool

· Registered
BMW G310 GS 2019
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank's for your tip, I have to reconstruct this plate I suppose, and it is not so much work with that.
I also made a new variant of the plate that I will show here, but I like your idea with the teeth on it. Now I had it powder coated in black.
Maybee I will do a version 3.0 also :)
Grey Triangle Rectangle Tints and shades Art
Eyewear Font Machine Auto part Monochrome photography

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I also made a new variant of the plate that I will show here,
Why have you curved it over on the outside? If someone was riding with laced shoes or boots, the hook formed by the curve could catch the lacing and cause a tip over if they were trying to put that foot down. Worse case, it could trap a foot during low side crash on that side.

· Registered
BMW G310 GS 2019
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why have you curved it over on the outside? If someone was riding with laced shoes or boots, the hook formed by the curve could catch the lacing and cause a tip over if they were trying to put that foot down. Worse case, it could trap a foot during low side crash on that side.
Thank's for your thoughts. Because I have several posts on another forum that they told me they don't want any sharp edges on the outside, easy to hook up the shoes and so on...
Different thoughts and different people I think.
But I have the old one as a spare, and could use it if I would.
Have a great evening !

· Registered
G310GS 2018
802 Posts
The best with the OE brake pedal is that it is made of steel. It's easy to bend back after a fall wher it gets caught by a rock or thick stick or root. D.A.H.I.K. Also the specially formed piece of an ice-hockey puck, made of rubber, is easily ripped off so the mounting of the brake pedal won't break when the pedal is hooked up in a fall. I'm planning to attach a folding tip to my foot brake.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
The best with the OE brake pedal is that it is made of steel. It's easy to bend back after a fall wher it gets caught by a rock or thick stick or root. D.A.H.I.K. Also the specially formed piece of an ice-hockey puck, made of rubber, is easily ripped off so the mounting of the brake pedal won't break when the pedal is hooked up in a fall. I'm planning to attach a folding tip to my foot brake.
D.A.H.I.K.?

The one I have now is pictured above in post #2. It's aluminum, but it has a folding tip.

That brings another issue to mind for @BmwMats to consider: The longer your plate sticks out, the more the brake lever will be bent inward during a fall on that side. When I bent my OEM brake lever, I had to borrow two fairly hefty adjustable wrenches to bend it back. One was to prevent too much force on the mounting point while I used the other to apply force at the end. I would not have been able to do that with my usual onboard tool kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts