BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to brake mostly with the rear over the front?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Front brakes have about 70% of the breaking power on a motorcycle. I do not mean to sound like an a$$hole ( I am one), but have you ever considered a MSF or other rider course? The course is not an instant answer to becoming a proficient rider, but does give some basic information. I have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles and the after last course I took, admittedly STEP not MSF, I felt more comfortable on the ride home. It does teach some stuff in the classroom which you really don't want to learn the hard way. In the parking lot riding section, some basics of swerving and braking are taught and depending on the instructor these may be valuable to a new rider or not.
Does California have mandatory training to get a motorcycle endorsement? The state may even pay for some or all of the course. In Georgia, it is a substitute for the riding test and can only be taught by those people authorized by the state. In other words a money maker.
David Hough's Proficient Motorcyclingis available from Amazon and might be a good read. It is mentioned in many threads for new rider advice.

·
Registered
155 Posts
esa

Thanks for asking the question. In checking to see what books were available I decided to buy the second book. I am happy, it was free with reward points.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
Esa, thanks for asking the question, I'm now considering buying the book that Bob mentioned. There's no such thing as a dumb question, we've all been in your position at some stage. I do recommend doing a motorcycle course before hitting the road (pardon the pun).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bob

I took that class 15 years ago, on a standard bike. But then I had 2 automatics since then.
A Yamaha Majesty and a Vespa GTV. So there were no foot brakes.
This is the first time I have ridden a standard bike since 2003 and I am having a blast..
Up until today I always used the front and when sudden stopping, not happy with it.
Felt myself lunge forward. Today I just used my back brake and usually when I am cruising to
a stop, and on occasion use both. Just to see the result.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you ever noticed that the front brake disk is bigger than the rear? Some bikes even have 2 front brake discs and one rear! When braking hard, always put more pressure on the front rather than the rear brake because it does have more braking power. ONLY be gentler with the front when taking a curve and/or with slippery surface so you don´t loose stability. I learned all of the above at a professional motorcycle driving school and it does actually work that way!!! Best wishes from Mexico!!

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
Hi Bob

I took that class 15 years ago, on a standard bike. But then I had 2 automatics since then.
A Yamaha Majesty and a Vespa GTV. So there were no foot brakes.
This is the first time I have ridden a standard bike since 2003 and I am having a blast..
Up until today I always used the front and when sudden stopping, not happy with it.
Felt myself lunge forward. Today I just used my back brake and usually when I am cruising to
a stop, and on occasion use both. Just to see the result.

Thanks for clarifying, for slowly coming to a stop, slow speed stopping when turning and slowing down when turning, you can use your rear brake.

Grip the tank tight with your legs to reduce the lunging forward.

For emergency braking slam on both brakes (situation permitting).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 for 1. Great bike and great owners with advice....

I get my windshield tomorrow and my SHAD 3P side and topcases on monday.
So going to be plenty busy installing...

Thanks a bunch and have a great weekend!

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I find that the 310 has an exceptionally good rear brake. Nornally I mostly or exclusively use the front brake on my other bikes, but on the 310 I often use both at the same time and believe it gives me better control while maneuvering thru stop and go LA city traffic. The front brake is ok but combined with the rear you will brake more controlled, faster and with less 'drama' I believe, in most situations.

Reactions: Blackie

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep I agree courses help everyone. Breaking is situational, wet or dry. Gradually or quickly. Road or gravel etc. the front brakes are your main brakes, but they should be used in conjunction with rears for stability reasons in certain situations. But there are also times when you will use your rears only. Slow manoeuvring/fast idle etc to keep bike upright and not have to stop etc. there are plenty of situations that could be listed. So experience and bike awareness are factors in learning the limitations of you and your bike and changing your braking balance/bias for different situations.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey BlackBeard. In my 34 year of riding experience my 2 cents is this. With the ABS introduction the idea was to help a rider in a "panic" situation stop the motorcycle with out sliding out. Before ABS we were taught to apply equal pressure like 60-40 rear to front. I find my self in a hard stop using the rear more since the 310R front end is a little soft. Having said that I had to stop quick and used just the front brake and had no problems. Enjoy the 310.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Front brakes have about 70% of the breaking power on a motorcycle.
And the harder you brake, the higher that percentage becomes until it reaches 100% (see: "stoppie").

Generally, it's best to use both brakes to get the maximum controlled braking, but be aware that the harder you brake, the less effect the rear will have as weight transfers to the front.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If possible, normal riding, no one mentioned using the best brake on any bike or car is engine brake, getting down the box for me is natural only use brakes to come to standstill, emergency braking is another storey.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts