BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Break-In period and procedures

14K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Tickster 
#1 ·
I just crossed the 200 mile barrier on my G310R and forgot what the dealership stated as a recommended mileage for break-in. Should the break-in basically last up to the first service?

As far as procedures go, the dealer recommended staying in the 5K RPM range and rolling on and off the throttle while driving. Are there other recommended actions or steps that can be taken? I hear multiple accounts of the bike's sound getting fierce around 7K RPM's and can't wait to push the bike a bit harder.

#4 · (Edited)
As far as procedures go, the dealer recommended staying in the 5K RPM range and rolling on and off the throttle while driving. Are there other recommended actions or steps that can be taken? I hear multiple accounts of the bike's sound getting fierce around 7K RPM's and can't wait to push the bike a bit harder.
Well, my experience with new engines these days is that you don't want to be too gentle on them for too long or you may find that the rings don't bed in properly.

The BMW manual recommends <6000 rpm up to 300 km (approx 200 miles), then no full throttle operation up to 1000 km (approx 600 miles).

With mine, while continuing to ride at varying speeds as the manual suggests, I progressively increased the max rpm I let the engine rev up to by approx 500 rpm per extra 100 km on the clock - ie rev up to 6500 rpm after 400 km, then 7000 rpm after 500 km, 7500 rpm after 600 km, 8000 rpm after 600 km, 8500 rpm after 800 km, 9000 rpm after 900 km, 9500 rpm after 1000 km and up.
I didn't hold it for long periods at those revs, its more letting the engine get up to the higher rev range during part (not full) throttle accelerations, hold briefly, change up a gear or two.

There seems to be some evidence that riding to get the engine to operating temperature then stopping and allowing it to cool a bit (but not get cold), before going off again, can assist and improve engine break in. So say a 30 minute ride to a coffee shop, 15 minutes or so for a cup of coffee and a pie, then ride home again... according to the theory the two 30 minute runs with the cool off in the middle is worth more than a continuous 60 minute ride. I've done this too during my break in period.

Once you have broken in your engine, for good engine health, don't forget to get up to the higher ranges every once in a while.

I'm not saying these methods are the best or proper way, just it's the way I approach it - my G310R is the third new bike I've had in 2 years, and I've followed this pattern for all of them :)

Reactions: USOTR
#5 ·
New engine break in procedures are a close second to "what kind of oil and how often do I change it?" threads, in any forum.
For what it's worth, follow the riders manual and do what the builder recommends, they built it, and warranty it.
Break in procedures have changed over the years as technology in engine building and quality of parts have improved.
One thing few have mentioned is to load the engine, hills up and down. Biggest thing is not to due anything for a sustained
amount of time, be it hard throttle or light throttle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.