BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 G310R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2018 G310R that has a Akrapovik exhaust system. I found out the hard way that the system has a major design flaw. I was parking and had dropped my leg down behind the right foot rest. The bike rolled a couple of inches forward until the exhaust pipe was against my Draggn-Jeans pant leg. I got branded right through the pants. In looking at pictures of the stock system BMW puts a second heat shield there where as Akrapovik does not. So rider be ware!
Knee Thigh Elbow Material property Calf
Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had almost the exact same experience. Bought a used 2018 with an akrapovic, burn in the same spot.

There is a heat shield you can buy. I considered it, but decided to save the money for something else.

·
Registered
2018 G310R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I looked up the heat shield and realized why you didn't purchase one. They make you pay a premium for a part that should have been included. Maybe I should just wrap my leg in exhaust wrap:mad:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, $90 for a tiny piece of carbon fiber that should already be part of their kit? I don't think so!

But, I am pretty low income. It would probably make sense for a lawyer or trust funder.

I have heard that exhaust wrap can trap water and dirt, so I have just left my pipe bare for now. As far as your leg goes, aloe vera and honey wrap would help more at this stage!

·
Super Moderator
1,186 Posts
Yeah, $90 for a tiny piece of carbon fiber that should already be part of their kit? I don't think so!

But, I am pretty low income. It would probably make sense for a lawyer or trust funder.

I have heard that exhaust wrap can trap water and dirt, so I have just left my pipe bare for now. As far as your leg goes, aloe vera and honey wrap would help more at this stage!
That's why I coated my exhaust wrap in heat resistant clear coat.

·
Registered
BMW G310R (2018)
27 Posts
I had the same issue on my Dominator exhaust although never managed to burn myself! I e-mailed the manufacturer to let them know that I thought it was piss poor that no heat shield was supplied with the kit and perhaps they should up their game and include one. Never heard anything back. Ended up making my own from a 90° stainless elbow with a bit of cutting & trimming!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
485 Posts
I once ordered cheap cables from a Taiwanese manufacturer. The cable I received was of so poor quality my company could not use it. When I complained, I got a reply stating: "You ordered cheap cable, You got cheap cable."
If you order a cheap exhaust, you get a cheap exhaust. If they have to ad a heat shield, you have to pay for an exhaust and a heat shield.
Customers want to pay as little as possible for products, manufacturers wants to cover their costs for manufacturing the products and get some profit to cover other costs (let's not dig too dip into it). One way to keep prices down, is to get paid for what you deliver and to deliver what customers order, and nothing more. If a customer has to choose between an exhaust that cost 200$, heat shield inclusive or 150$, just for the exhaust. What do you think the customer will choose?

·
Registered
BMW 310GS 2019
23 Posts
I just purchased a 2018 G310R that has a Akrapovik exhaust system. I found out the hard way that the system has a major design flaw. I was parking and had dropped my leg down behind the right foot rest. The bike rolled a couple of inches forward until the exhaust pipe was against my Draggn-Jeans pant leg. I got branded right through the pants. In looking at pictures of the stock system BMW puts a second heat shield there where as Akrapovik does not. So rider be ware! View attachment 16335 View attachment 16336
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Font
I got this dose the job a treat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts