BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this is my first post and i’m Hoping to get some info on what to expect...

I have a new g310gs with about 200 miles on it. From day one I noticed oil burning and loss of power after riding for 20 mins or so. I’ve had to add @approx 700 ml of oil to keep the oil level above minimum.

When I contacted the dealer about this right away I was advised to ride in more. It hasn’t improved and the bike is being picked up tomorrow. Depending on what they find is when is this bike considered a lemon? And is there any recourse. I do realize it has a 3 year warranty.

https://twitter.com/vtbmwg310gs/status/1003013924671905799?s=21

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out this thread

http://www.g310rforum.com/forum/337-2017-bmw-g310-r-gs-issues-problems/3513-blue-smoke.html

Some others have had similar - theory given by a "dealer" who posted was that it is due to a breather seal failure from balance shaft to left crankcase cover. Don't know if that has been fully confirmed anywhere. But may be worth mentioning to your dealer.

Good luck.
If this is the case, is this considered a major defect? Is it a major / complicated fix?

Thx!

·
Registered
324 Posts
If this is the case, is this considered a major defect? Is it a major / complicated fix?
If that's what it is, it would definitely be covered under warranty.

Anything involving internal engine parts and seals is going to be major/complicated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If that's what it is, it would definitely be covered under warranty.

Anything involving internal engine parts and seals is going to be major/complicated.
Do you think i should push for a new bike if this is the case. Or would a fix be acceptable? If this was a car it would be swapped out due to lemon laws.

Thx

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hello VTG310GS,
Welcome to the forum.
Hope the thread you got will help you and or your dealer.
Getting a new bike .......in my country (the Netherlands) you have to give a dealer a change to fix things before even think of a replacement under warranty.
Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello VTG310GS,
Welcome to the forum.
Hope the thread you got will help you and or your dealer.
Getting a new bike .......in my country (the Netherlands) you have to give a dealer a change to fix things before even think of a replacement under warranty.
Good luck.
So the dealer picked up my bike and verified that it is burning oil and that there are oil leaks in the head gasket area and they are checking on part availability. This sounds major to me but I don’t know a lot about engines especially motorcycle. If this was a new car I would demand a new one. Is this the same for motorcycles in the U.S.

Thx in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m waiting for deliver of a new bike due to the head gasket problem. Unfortunately it’s being delayed due to the side stand recall!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Worst of both worlds...

Engine issues (bad), replaced under warranty (good!) but can’t replace due to another issue with a stop sale on the side stand (bad)! Ouch...

Hope it works out, and quickly!

I’ve got what I believe is a pretty nice, smooth engine, but a snapped side stand...so I feel your pain...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh no. Is anyone thinking of switching to a center stand? Thinking this could by pass the side stand recall?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Oh no. Is anyone thinking of switching to a center stand? Thinking this could by pass the side stand recall?
the center stand can solve this situation but it's not a proper solution. at least I don't consider this to be acceptable for a brand new BMW. can anyone clarify where exactly is the problem? it is the stand per se or the joint/connection of the stand to the frame?

P.S. sorry guys wrong thread, but i am a bit frustrated right now. i just called the dealership and although they confirmed the problem they told me that they still wait for "instructions" from BMW motorrad.

·
Registered
169 Posts
the center stand can solve this situation but it's not a proper solution. at least I don't consider this to be acceptable for a brand new BMW. can anyone clarify where exactly is the problem? it is the stand per se or the joint/connection of the stand to the frame?

P.S. sorry guys wrong thread, but i am a bit frustrated right now. i just called the dealership and although they confirmed the problem they told me that they still wait for "instructions" from BMW motorrad.
Also from Greece, I went to do the 10.000 service just a few days ago and it seems to be just a bad batch from the factory; hence not all bikes are affected, from what the dealer told me. Still they await instructions from BMW Motorrad to see if they will recall bikes or not.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am not so sure it is a bad batch. The bikes in question seem to be all over the world and both R and GS models as well as different production dates. So it makes it hard for me to think a bad batch would be spread out that far across the world and be as wide spread as it is. A bad batch making it into production would also imply a poor level of quality control as the metal frame component should have had a certification of compliance for the materials used in the fabrication. If the parts were certified then BMW needs to go back to the supplier of the part and do a full back check on all parts produced and shipped by them to BMW to assure full certification compliance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After waiting over a month, I’m supposed to take delivery of a new GS to replace my oil burning one on Friday!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts