BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to notice a weird noise coming from the bike (2018 G310R).

Whenever I'm between roughly 6200-6800 RPM, I notice a buzzing sound - it's definitely audible even over the sound of the engine. Below 6000, all good. Above 7000, sounds good too, though it's loud enough it might just be inaudible. I've looked around and can't see anything loose, and I figure if something was loose, I'd hear it rattling all the time. It's getting pretty annoying now, and I'm wondering if I'm just a few buzzes away from having the bike fall apart in motion and dump me on the road.

As far as I can tell it's coming from up front, near the instrument cluster, but everything seems to be held tight. The only modification I have up front is a Puig naked bike windscreen and Barkbusters handguards, but I know I torqued those correctly per the instructions, and the buzzing was happening before I installed the handguards too.

Insights?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have a tap around the side mirrors, there is a thread where I have a video of the my wing mirror and the rattle in it on here in one of the posts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had experienced something similar and solved it. Under 4k RPM and over 7k RPM there was an annoying vibration coming from the instrument cluster. I got it to the dealer he unscrewed the whole mask and put it back together, didn't solve it. Afterwards he put the stethoscope and it was from some loose cables on the right side of the instrument cluster. Apparently the zip ties were loose and they were rattling on the plastic. Was driving me insane.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the mirror thing, so far nothing. Revved the bike in neutral too. Couldn't find anything, as far as I can tell, it's coming from within the instrument cluster itself.

I'm bringing it into the dealer on Tuesday. Hopefully they'll find it...and maybe I'll test ride an R1200GS, because I'm already looking into getting a second bike to either replace or likely just supplement the G310R.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried the mirror thing, so far nothing. Revved the bike in neutral too. Couldn't find anything, as far as I can tell, it's coming from within the instrument cluster itself.

I'm bringing it into the dealer on Tuesday. Hopefully they'll find it...and maybe I'll test ride an R1200GS, because I'm already looking into getting a second bike to either replace or likely just supplement the G310R.
Was your issue solved?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a rattle noise from my bike around 7000 rpm and found that it was the clutch lever. If i put my fingers on the clutch around 7000 rpm it stopped. Sorry to say, its a cheap clutch lever that will probable get sorted out on newer bikes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a rattle noise from my bike around 7000 rpm and found that it was the clutch lever. If i put my fingers on the clutch around 7000 rpm it stopped. Sorry to say, its a cheap clutch lever that will probable get sorted out on newer bikes.
You could possibly try adjusting the free play on your lever - if it is more than it should be, the lever can rattle about more. Also a little bit of grease around the pivot can help prevent the rattling by taking up some of the space between the parts.

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
One of my rear led indicators is a bit loose, I'm getting a buzzing sound from that at a certain rpm range. It was hard to pin down initially. I have got replacement indicators but haven't fitted them yet.

Another thing that caused buzzing some time ago was a loose cable behind the headlight, this was fixed by repositioning the cable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Things to check:
  • Horn
  • Mirrors
  • Loose cable ties
  • Loose instrument cluster
  • Clutch lever
For me, it was bother mirrors and the horn. The plastic mirror became unglued from the housing and rattle like hell. I taped up the mirror and edge of the housing. I pushed some adhesive in between the mirror and housing until it oozed out and clamped it so it cure. On the horn, I just put some liquid tape on it until it stopped buzzing.

Hope that helps!

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
+1 on the horn, I fitted a larger horn and it was contacting the fairing, had to drill out the hole on the connecting arm so I could move the horn away from the fairing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Starting to notice a weird noise coming from the bike (2018 G310R).

Whenever I'm between roughly 6200-6800 RPM, I notice a buzzing sound - it's definitely audible even over the sound of the engine. Below 6000, all good. Above 7000, sounds good too, though it's loud enough it might just be inaudible. I've looked around and can't see anything loose, and I figure if something was loose, I'd hear it rattling all the time. It's getting pretty annoying now, and I'm wondering if I'm just a few buzzes away from having the bike fall apart in motion and dump me on the road.

As far as I can tell it's coming from up front, near the instrument cluster, but everything seems to be held tight. The only modification I have up front is a Puig naked bike windscreen and Barkbusters handguards, but I know I torqued those correctly per the instructions, and the buzzing was happening before I installed the handguards too.

Insights?
I have the same issue. I ma going to pull the dash next...driving me crazy!

·
Registered
G310 R - 2020
1 Posts
I have the same buzzing issue here, G 310 R - 2020
2000Km, it starts at 6500RPM and stops at 6800RPM, seems like something in the front is buzzing.
my first guess is the horn, i will tight or probably change the bracket. does anybody have solved this issue?

please confirm and send pictures if you have succeed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts