BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of videos on youtube of how to fix this, shows a guy taking a new starter clutch out of a packet and fitting it to the flywheel rotor. However I cant find that part number anywhere. Anyone done this or had it done, or know or can find the part number? Its a common failure on the GS and the R, look on the web, one workshop in the staes had 5 in for repair, they are happy to sell me a 拢350 rotor, instead of a 拢110 starter clutch. I begrudge buying an expensive lump I dont need due to poor engineering. How do I know that , because they have changed the design on the newer bikes .......馃槵

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Hi it doesnt show the starter clutch as a seperate item. So 拢350 vs about 拢100

Registered
Should be a warranty issue. Many have this problem.
There is a lot that should be a warranty issue, but is not. If the GS is registered more than two years ago, BMW Motorrad refuse to accept or repair anything as a warranty issue. My water pump is leaking since August and the bike was registered (taken into use) in April 2018. BMW Motorrad Finland (H.Q. in Sweden) do not accept to take the cost for the repair. This is my BMW No. 8. At least I know what brand I'm not buying next.

Premium Member
Maybe try and find a good used starter, for example on Ebay?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
None available for months. Google sprag clutches our check ebay for other bikes they ate 拢16 -拢50 max. It's disgusting they want 拢350 for the whole alternator system

Registered
1tezza

If your bike is UK registered it should have a3 year warranty, however as I discovered they are very reluctant to honour the warranty. Check on your home insurance that you have family legal protection cover, if you do you, will be covered for up to 拢100K of legal expenses or 拢250K on some policies. Armed with this information go back to your dealer quoting the Sale of Goods Act and that you have this legal cover. Inform them that if they don't do anything the next stage will be to make a claim on your legal protection policy which will obtain an independent engineers report to present to the local Small Claims Court in support of your claim. Should the claim is won which is likely under the Sale of Goods Act the cost of the case investigation and preparation will be added to the cost of the claim. This will certainly focus their minds. I did this with a clutch issue from new that they refused to investigate and ended up with a new clutch and water pump.

It shouldn't have to come to this but the way BMW Mottorad behave with issues on the 310 means it's the only way to get them to do anything. Like you I know which brand of bike I won't be buying next.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
1tezza

If your bike is UK registered it should have a3 year warranty, however as I discovered they are very reluctant to honour the warranty. Check on your home insurance that you have family legal protection cover, if you do you, will be covered for up to 拢100K of legal expenses or 拢250K on some policies. Armed with this information go back to your dealer quoting the Sale of Goods Act and that you have this legal cover. Inform them that if they don't do anything the next stage will be to make a claim on your legal protection policy which will obtain an independent engineers report to present to the local Small Claims Court in support of your claim. Should the claim is won which is likely under the Sale of Goods Act the cost of the case investigation and preparation will be added to the cost of the claim. This will certainly focus their minds. I did this with a clutch issue from new that they refused to investigate and ended up with a new clutch and water pump.

It shouldn't have to come to this but the way BMW Mottorad behave with issues on the 310 means it's the only way to get them to do anything. Like you I know which brand of bike I won't be buying next.
I'll give customer services ring this week, been moving house so back burner till now. If the sprag clutch was sensible money I'd just do it myself it's only a couple of hours but 拢350 for stuff like the alternator I don't want for a 拢30 item attached to it. ....... 馃槶

1 - 15 of 15 Posts