BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yesterday I've received a message from Camel ADV stating "We don't have anything planned for the 310GS at this time. Camel Tanks are bike specific and we don't have anything available for 310".

The only auxiliary tank they sell is designed for the F800GS. It's a such terrible pity for 310GS owners. Don't we need more range? Please share your thoughts!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yesterday I've received a message from Camel ADV stating "We don't have anything planned for the 310GS at this time. Camel Tanks are bike specific and we don't have anything available for 310".

The only auxiliary tank they sell is designed for the F800GS. It's a such terrible pity for 310GS owners. Don't we need more range? Please share your thoughts!
That's a bummer. But I had decided that I will get those generic jerry-cans for my baby GS in the near future whenever I plan such a trip. I am attaching a pic of what I am referring to for your reference. My friend owns a pair and I have seen them up-close and in person and the build quality is pretty good. One of my friends even dropped his bike on top of the jerry-can while on a tour and the jerry-can is still in good shape. It has multiple mounting options as well. I was thinking of mounting it on my upper crash-guard. However, it can also be mounted on a solid pannier (but you will have to drill 4 small holes on the pannier). So I think the mounting is all upto you.
Wheel Tire Font Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
680 Posts
These are generic ones and have "OVERHAUL" written on them. You can find them in aliexpress as well.
You call it generic, I call it design infringement.
As long as we allow and support it, the Chinese will let the West take the profit and leave development costs to owner's of the designs. And yes, I too buy were I get the products cheapest.

·
Super Moderator
1,367 Posts
You call it generic, I call it design infringement.
As long as we allow and support it, the Chinese will let the West take the profit and leave development costs to owner's of the designs. And yes, I too buy were I get the products cheapest.
It's only design infringement if they have design rights. As a patent attorney, I can tell you that the Chinese have really robust IP laws. It's usually the people that don't file design applications in China that complain about their products being copied :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, counterfeit or not, all those brands are not available in my country and I have no option but to go with what I get around me. And those Chinese ones are what you get here. If I had had the option of selecting, then sure, I would go for the genuine ones too (if it does not break my back ofcourse). But yeah, as far as the Zontes 310T is concerned, if BMW wasn't available in my country and Zontes was, then I would have had to make do with that too if I really wanted an ADV that looked like the GS. So yeah, I am all for build quality too, but for some of us it also depends on what's available around and what is best from what's available. You may suggest ordering from overseas, but after custom duties and the delay in shipping, that is not always the best option.

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
680 Posts
Well, counterfeit or not, all those brands are not available in my country and I have no option but to go with what I get around me. And those Chinese ones are what you get here. If I had had the option of selecting, then sure, I would go for the genuine ones too (if it does not break my back ofcourse). But yeah, as far as the Zontes 310T is concerned, if BMW wasn't available in my country and Zontes was, then I would have had to make do with that too if I really wanted an ADV that looked like the GS. So yeah, I am all for build quality too, but for some of us it also depends on what's available around and what is best from what's available. You may suggest ordering from overseas, but after custom duties and the delay in shipping, that is not always the best option.
Custom fees and taxes are all too familiar. I bought a ViaTerra Claw bag for my G310GS from India. The cost for transport, customs and taxes was 60% of the total. Still I liked the design enough to take the risk off not knowing anything about its quality. In the end, the bag was cheaper than similar solutions from European suppliers.

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
680 Posts
It's only design infringement if they have design rights. As a patent attorney, I can tell you that the Chinese have really robust IP laws. It's usually the people that don't file design applications in China that complain about their products being copied :ROFLMAO:
A friend of mine used to say: "One learns as long as one lives."
I say: Thank you for the education. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a bummer. But I had decided that I will get those generic jerry-cans for my baby GS in the near future whenever I plan such a trip. I am attaching a pic of what I am referring to for your reference. My friend owns a pair and I have seen them up-close and in person and the build quality is pretty good. One of my friends even dropped his bike on top of the jerry-can while on a tour and the jerry-can is still in good shape. It has multiple mounting options as well. I was thinking of mounting it on my upper crash-guard. However, it can also be mounted on a solid pannier (but you will have to drill 4 small holes on the pannier). So I think the mounting is all upto you.
View attachment 16719
Does anyone know if the "Camel Tank" from the F800GS can be mounted onto the G 310 GS? Would be good to turn the baby GS into a true adventure bike...
I have a 1.5 gallon tank I use when doing long rides, I also added the ability to use (2) one litre fuel cannisters (using 2 Nelson-Rigg canvas holders with straps) to my rear rack area. I used two strips on metal (Home depot anout $5) to support the bottles (not really necessary but I wanted them level with the rear rack. together that gives me 2 extra gallons (8 litres) of fuel. Put 7K miles of AVD traveling since I got it (Colorado & California). Using Hepko Becker hard bags (I have soft bags as well). Works great for extending the mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Would be good to turn the baby GS into a true adventure
I'm all in on making my 310GS a real adventure bike (pic below), but I want my adventure bike to be a less-than-400-pound BMW GS (when fully fueled and ready to ride but not counting luggage). I decided on four 1 liter MSR bottles for my primary backup. Here's why I think that's good enough...

2019 (latest available) mpg from Browse All Motorcycles | Fuelly fuel tank capacity from bmwmotorcycle.com:
  • R1250GS 47.3 mpg x 5.2 gal = 251 miles range
  • R1250GSA 42.1 mpg x 7.9 gal = 333 miles range
  • G310GS 66.2 mpg x 3.0 gal = 199 miles range
So, by carrying one extra gallon...
- G310GS 66.2 mpg x 4.0 gal = 265 miles range

If I wanted to equal the GSA...
- G310GS 66.2 mpg x 5.0 gal = 331 miles range

Later, after I've got more data from my own adventures, I may decide to increase my fuel capacity, but for now, I think 265 miles is good enough. For major rides, I'll be carrying the MSR bottles in the Aux Pox pouches on my Mosko Moto 80L luggage system; for lesser rides, I'll carry however many I think I need in a tail bag. You may have noticed I said the four 1 liter MSR bottles are my primary backup; I like to have backups for my backups; my secondary backup is a $19, 6.7 oz., 10 foot long siphon hose, long enough to borrow gas from anyone. Siphon Hose Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS4SS7Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

My 310GS...pic taken during BMW's Two-Day Adventure Course in Greer, SC...it was quite evident during the course that the smaller lighter 310GS was much easier to ride in the technical terrain than the 1250s everyone else was riding. The lead instructor said I was "killing it with that 310"; I let him test ride it and he said it was night and day compared to the OEM 310GS (predominantly because of the Rally Raid Level 1 suspension upgrades).

Tire Wheel Plant Plant community Fuel tank

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310 GS
81 Posts
I carry 1L of extra fuel with me on the bike. So far I never had to use . How many of you, actually had to use extra fuel on the G310gs ?? And how much did you needed to add to get you to a gas station.?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm all in on making my 310GS a real adventure bike (pic below), but I want my adventure bike to be a less-than-400-pound BMW GS (when fully fueled and ready to ride but not counting luggage). I decided on four 1 liter MSR bottles for my primary backup. Here's why I think that's good enough...

2019 (latest available) mpg from Browse All Motorcycles | Fuelly fuel tank capacity from bmwmotorcycle.com:
  • R1250GS 47.3 mpg x 5.2 gal = 251 miles range
  • R1250GSA 42.1 mpg x 7.9 gal = 333 miles range
  • G310GS 66.2 mpg x 3.0 gal = 199 miles range
So, by carrying one extra gallon...
- G310GS 66.2 mpg x 4.0 gal = 265 miles range

If I wanted to equal the GSA...
- G310GS 66.2 mpg x 5.0 gal = 331 miles range

Later, after I've got more data from my own adventures, I may decide to increase my fuel capacity, but for now, I think 265 miles is good enough. For major rides, I'll be carrying the MSR bottles in the Aux Pox pouches on my Mosko Moto 80L luggage system; for lesser rides, I'll carry however many I think I need in a tail bag. You may have noticed I said the four 1 liter MSR bottles are my primary backup; I like to have backups for my backups; my secondary backup is a $19, 6.7 oz., 10 foot long siphon hose, long enough to borrow gas from anyone. Siphon Hose Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS4SS7Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

My 310GS...pic taken during BMW's Two-Day Adventure Course in Greer, SC...it was quite evident during the course that the smaller lighter 310GS was much easier to ride in the technical terrain than the 1250s everyone else was riding. The lead instructor said I was "killing it with that 310"; I let him test ride it and he said it was night and day compared to the OEM 310GS (predominantly because of the Rally Raid Level 1 suspension upgrades).

View attachment 16729
Can you share where you found both the upper fairing guard that marries up with the Rally Raid engine guard/bash plate and the head lamp guard please?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Can you share where you found both the upper fairing guard that marries up with the Rally Raid engine guard/bash plate and the head lamp guard please?
The following post provides an excellent listing of G310GS protection options; toward the end, I added how I attached the Wunderlich gas tank crash protection bars with Rally Raid's engine guard:

The head lamp guard is by T-Rex and can be found at the link next down, but I'm not sure I can recommend it. I've had mine installed for about 100 miles and those miles have been serious off-road drills at the BMW Rider's Academy in Greer, SC, USA, but there are already small cracks at one of the mounting holes. Their installation video/instructions cautioned strongly about not over tightening those screws and I certainly think I was careful. The guard is seriously thick, so it's not going to fail, but is a bit disappointing. I'm planning to contact them and see what they say. I like the guard, but I think they should provide rubber grommet to isolate the acrylic plastic from the metal of the bracket and bolt (which is what both BMW and Rally Raid does with their much thinner windscreens). I'll probably find and install grommets myself when I get the chance. P.S. I will also "deadhead" the crack by drilling a small hole at the end of the crack; that usually suffices to stop the crack from going further.

Here's another clear acrylic guard I stumbled across, but it looks to be thinner than t-rex's...

Pictures of my T-Rex headlight guard showing cracking and thickness...

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
271 Posts
The head lamp guard is by T-Rex and can be found at the link next down, but I'm not sure I can recommend it. I've had mine installed for about 100 miles and those miles have been serious off-road drills at the BMW Rider's Academy in Greer, SC, USA, but there are already small cracks at one of the mounting holes.
Update: I emailed T-Rex about the cracks and they responded immediately that my concern had been passed to engineering team. The day after that, they called me and said they were sending a replacement guard with additional plastic spacers to fully isolate the acrylic from the screw and the bracket. Evidently, originally they only provided one such spacer for each side; that's not enough to fully isolate the acrylic, and now they are sending three for each side, which is enough to fully isolate the acrylic. So, I have to both commend their customer service and recommend their headlight guard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts