BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
I looked again at that document and it says that K03 model is affected and yet the original rockers need be used, so who knows if the replacement will be better. The noise is supposed to be experienced while driving, not idling. I personally just came from a long trip and feel that the ticking noise has become stronger, but I hear it when the bike is idling and hot. I will check soon the valve clearance, just waiting for the valve shims to arrive, as I will do it by myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody had replacement Camshaft or rockers done ?

Just trying to find out numbers of owners and if they saw the old parts.

Link to info I found.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165274-9999.pdf
Hi my r310gs 2019 with 900 miles the cams shafts have failed terrible tapping noise and badly worn being replaced under warranty , bmw say they have had hardening issues on camshafts tbh i am disapointed i have had dozens of older second hand bikes with no issues the 310 is my first new bike cush drive failed at 200 miles recall on brake calipers and now camshaft issues.i would think very hard before buying one.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Hi my r310gs 2019 with 900 miles the cams shafts have failed terrible tapping noise and badly worn being replaced under warranty , bmw say they have had hardening issues on camshafts tbh i am disapointed i have had dozens of older second hand bikes with no issues the 310 is my first new bike cush drive failed at 200 miles recall on brake calipers and now camshaft issues.i would think very hard before buying one.
Interesting, ever change your own oil, or add any liquimoli addatives or the like?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm fnding the information you've posted to be priceless at this moment - thank-you for sharing. Having recently experienced my first trip to a BMW Motorrad workshop in the UK, for the fear that my engine's noise had become abnormal.

My fears were confirmed by a brief technicians report - late on a Saturday shift mind you, so I will endeavour to gain a second opinion, and a broader view of what was checked, including the procedure (for the vehicles history documentation, while also trying to fully understand the process on my beloved machine).

To be continued..

K02 310R
K03 310GS

mentioned on page 2 3rd paragraph.

Mainly mentioned it just in case anyone outside US has an issue as they seem to get more info than most countries motoring recalls.

·
Registered
2018 BMW G310R, 2009 BMW R1200GS
24 Posts
I agree with your observations, and likewise I’m a lifelong mechanical engineer with 40 years under my belt.
My VStrom 650 was beautifully refined; likewise my 155 single Honda. The 300cc Yamaha which I sold to buy the 310GS was so smooth , and SILENT, and faster, and 20% better on fuel!
The G310 engine is nothing short of EMBARRASSING, and if I’m honest I’m already seriously worried that it’s not going to last very long, and it’s only just completed 7000km and had it’s 2nd oil and filter change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to chime in on the topic of noise. My last 4 bikes were 2016 Africa Twin (sold after 2 seasons), 2019 Yamaha Tracer (sold after 1 season), 2009 BMW R1200GS (bought last year with 36k kms on the clock) and now this 2018 310r. I think that 310 engine is most quiet of them all, but boxers have most quiet valve train when on the go. BTW, my GS is a third 1200 boxer I have owned, all purchased used, put over 150k kms on them combined without a single problem. As for the 310r, beyond all expectations so far, but time will tell. It is going to be mostly “around the town bike”.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Interesting observation, Bob's fiche shows cam shafts for G310 no longer available and the lifters have a part number supersession.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody had replacement Camshaft or rockers done ?

Just trying to find out numbers of owners and if they saw the old parts.

Link to info I found.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165274-9999.pdf
I have a serious top end noise issue. Bike has been in dealer since 14 Sept, identified as cam/rocker/valves issue, awaiting BMW approval of post warranty claim. It’s done 4600 miles, full BMW history, last serviced by different dealer about 700 miles ago. Interesting reading the US bulletin about rockers and camshaft replacement ! May need to reproduce that if it turns onto a tussle !!

·
Registered
2018 BMW G310R, 2009 BMW R1200GS
24 Posts
I have a serious top end noise issue. Bike has been in dealer since 14 Sept, identified as cam/rocker/valves issue, awaiting BMW approval of post warranty claim. It’s done 4600 miles, full BMW history, last serviced by different dealer about 700 miles ago. Interesting reading the US bulletin about rockers and camshaft replacement ! May need to reproduce that if it turns onto a tussle !!
Was that noise been getting progressively worse or did it show up all of sudden?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts