BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably the wrong place to ask, but what the **** :laugh:

I've had a ton of bikes over the years. Most of them large liter sport bikes. However, I've been out for a while now. Looking to get back into this. Mostly just bombing around town. Was looking for something light, sporty, comfortable, and just enough scoot to have fun on it. Very limited highway riding with the occasional 30-45 minute jaunt at 75mph speeds.

Am I looking at the right bike?

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Sounds like you are looking in the right location, the only thing I can think of is the colour scheme for the black, but you can always get the white panels sprayed in the black colour like I did.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
The low weight and zippy engine makes it perfect, for me at least, around the city. Have not taken it out on the freeway yet (still running in) but expdcf no issues there either, just not with a passenger.

·
Registered
151 Posts
They make a great city run about. Comfy, agile with a capable engine and a lot of fun.

75-80 mph is quite doable (peeps have seen 100mph on the GPS) although with any naked at that speed, helps to hide behind a screen or tank bag.

No reasons to not have one on the short list. They’ve so far been shown to be reliable with very few issues reported.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What little weight this thing does have is low and forward, the engine loves to be in the 4500-6500 range but you can really lay on it for a little more. Coming from liter bikes you'll notice that rolling off the throttle on this instantly slows you down and with downshifting I very rarely use the brakes. It's just so much fun to really push this thing and you'll never lose control when you do. Fun, I guess that sums it up, it's a freaking blast. 3 year 36,000 mile warranty too. I ride 30-45 minutes on the highway all the time no problem, obviously you can't overtake at those speeds (well, not quickly) so you just need to adjust your riding to look for positions you can get out and brake instead. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a bike. Read everything you can on the forum good and bad and ask questions. This is getting to be a competitive market segment and there are a lot of great bikes coming out in the next year or so.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've had 2 other riders so far, think this is the 1,000RR.

I am closing in on 2,000 miles and still think this is among the best bikes I've owned.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The stock wheels are not nice,silver painting the wheels looks better or you can buy the wirewheels from ralley raid if you bank account is high enough

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
I've had 2 other riders so far, think this is the 1,000RR.

I am closing in on 2,000 miles and still think this is among the best bikes I've owned.

Me too, I've had a few riders think it was a BMW 1000RR, probably because I have the side panels sprayed in black :grin2:

·
Registered
935 Posts
This bike brought back the fun in riding.
After ‘tons’ of bikes I didn’t feel comfortable on motorcycles anymore.
I had some years I used a 125 motor scooter but after test riding the G310R ......... heaven.
Now i’m Enjoying myself a lot with this fun bike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had some years I used a 125 motor scooter but after test riding the G310R ......... heaven.
I too lost some of the fun in riding, my K75 was too top heavy and I had dropped it in 2 parking lots and had to have help lifting it up. With a full tank of gas, 5.5 gallons, it was a b!tch and at low speeds I had to be very careful, the parking structure at work was a challenge.

During the test ride of the 310 I decided after about a mile to buy it. It does put the fun back in riding. (especially at the price...)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Off topic, the question was why "not" to buy this bike, not why "to".:grin2:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Probably the wrong place to ask, but what the **** :laugh:

I've had a ton of bikes over the years. Most of them large liter sport bikes. However, I've been out for a while now. Looking to get back into this. Mostly just bombing around town. Was looking for something light, sporty, comfortable, and just enough scoot to have fun on it. Very limited highway riding with the occasional 30-45 minute jaunt at 75mph speeds.

Am I looking at the right bike?
So, you come to this forum and ask why "not" to buy this bike?
I think most here are owners of the G310's, and are very happy with them. Hence most of the answers to your question,
appear to be why to buy it.

But I will be the devils advocate and give you a couple for the sake of it.
1) First year production, always an unknown, maybe.
2) BMW's first attempt not to be the final assembler, with an Indian manufacturer.

May be more, just can't think of anything now.:surprise:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I guess the best reason not to buy this bike, as far as my experience is, it's so great to ride that I spend too much time riding, thinking about riding and cleaning this bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I rode mine today to meet a friend for lunch, what a blast it is too, light and easily turned, enough go to get you ahead of the traffic and small enough to get through small gaps.
The weather wasn't very nice, with damp or wet patches in places, but the Michelin Street Pilots give loads of grip and confidence in the bikes handling.
Just try one......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Down side:
I'm a taller guy. (6'-2") and so the fit for me is a bit small.
I kind of feel like my legs are tucked up under the tank when I ride.

Upside:
I'm just getting back into riding and this little German beauty is a blast to ride and re-learn on.
I wear a full face helmet, so people can't see the goofy grin on my face.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looking to get back into this. Mostly just bombing around town. Was looking for something light, sporty, comfortable...
The 310R is my only transportation in LA and I really like it for those reasons. A significant part of my daily commute is lane splitting and squeezing to get through Hollywood heavy traffic - it works great for that. Also for me it runs just fine at 75mph in the freeways (everyday), no issues.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Over 70 mph, I find the vibration more than I want for long distance. It will get passed on the Dragon.It will be seriously underpowered to haul a three hundred pound passenger. It won't pull a popup camper. It's cheap so it won't impress your rich friends. A five dollar bill gets nearly a fill up. Need any more reasons not to buy?

On the right roads, this is absolute fun. Light, nimble and responsive to the throttle much like a dirt bike.BRP from Pisgah to Cherokee, Cherohala, 221 from Independence to Jefferson, GA 60 and then TN 68 are the right roads.

Lightweight, especially in dirt parking lots and off camber stops, quick through the gears-reminds me of a dirt bike, low seat height, Interstate capable for short bursts, this is a great bike for two lane highway piddling and low speed limit twisties. It sips fuel with around 70 mpg.
Can you tell how much I like this mini-thumper?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts