BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum.

I'm looking into that super badass black carbon slip-on instead of the all silver/metallic one.
However I talked to the dealerships here in Los Angeles and they said the carbon one does not meet the emission compliance and they don't sell it/nobody sells it.

Has anyone here in the US installed one? How did you guys go about it?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Seems odd that just the outside material would not satisfy compliance requirements, but what do I know about the technical aspects of exhausts. The PO of my 310R installed the steel version (with carbon end piece) that he got from, I think, Revzilla, and I am happily riding around with it, in LA. Don't know if that helps. I do like the look and prefer it over the all-carbon look but that's down to personal taste of course.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Fred! It’s most likely because the carbon one does not have the cat. The stainless steel one does. Plenty of guys on the forum has the carbon version. I like that one better IMO but I got the stainless version because that’s all RevZilla had left and I couldn’t pass up the deal.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I thought the CAT part was separate from the silencer, i.e. that that is the part that is just after the cylinder. Is that also available in carbon, assuming I am correct? Sorry if I am only confusing things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cats are not required

Exemptions:
California requires all vehicles to undergo a smog inspection EXCEPT:
Gasoline-powered vehicles model year 1975 and older.
Natural gas-powered vehicles weighing over 14,000 lbs. .
Diesel-powered vehicles that:
Are model year 1997 and older.
OR
Have a gross weight rating of over 14,000 lbs.
Electric vehicles.
Motorcycles.

If California doesn't require a smog check then nobody does. Therefore the cat converter is not required, BUT the Akrapovic and other aftermarket exhausts may not meet the NOISE standards, and thus may still NOT be Legal.:crying:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Exemptions:
California requires all vehicles to undergo a smog inspection EXCEPT:
Gasoline-powered vehicles model year 1975 and older.
Natural gas-powered vehicles weighing over 14,000 lbs. .
Diesel-powered vehicles that:
Are model year 1997 and older.
OR
Have a gross weight rating of over 14,000 lbs.
Electric vehicles.
Motorcycles.

If California doesn't require a smog check then nobody does. Therefore the cat converter is not required, BUT the Akrapovic and other aftermarket exhausts may not meet the NOISE standards, and thus may still NOT be Legal./forum/images/G310Rforum/smilies/tango_face_crying.png
This is straight from Akrapovic’s install manual. It has nothing to do with smog but modifying the stock equipment.

USA WARNING
Various U.S. states and the U.S. federal government have individual laws regulating the use of aftermarket exhaust parts and systems, especially as those parts and systems modify, remove, or replace original equipment catalysts. Please consult the appropriate laws in your area before installing any aftermarket part or system on your vehicle to ensure compliance with all applicable laws. Neither Akrapovic d.d. nor any of their subsidiaries or the sellers of the parts or systems make any representation that any of their parts or systems comply with any such laws.
CALIFORNIA WARNING
California laws prohibit the use of any aftermarket exhaust part or system that modifies, removes or replaces original equipment catalysts unless the California Air Resources Board has issued an Executive Order regarding such part or system or unless the part or system is exempted by being used only on racing vehicles on closed courses. Neither Akrapovic d.d. nor any of their subsidiaries make any representation that any of their parts or systems has received such an Executive Order or that any of their parts or systems conform with the racing vehicles exemption. The purchasers are entirely responsible for informing themselves of applicable California laws and to comply with those laws.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Maybe it’s just like J-walking. It’s illegal in some places but not enforced?? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
132 Posts
Maybe it’s just like J-walking. It’s illegal in some places but not enforced?? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kinda, it does get enforced by the federal government, it just takes making the wrong person mad.
they are starting to enforce the laws against tampering with exhaust systems more but mainly on Diesel pickups with those folks who like "rolling coal"
if you are busted and convicted you are looking at a fine of up to $100,000 usd, impounding of the offending vehicle with the requirement of you putting up a bond large enough to cover the cost of replacing the removed exhaust control devices to get said vehicle back. that can be as high as $10,000usd on top of the 100K fine.
I have heard of it being done in Georgia.
with the exception of California I have never heard of it being enforced on a motorcycle.

riding in a national forest without a approved spark arrestor can get you fined as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the answers guys! And thanks for the heads up Focus Frenzy. This is helpful.

Seems odd that just the outside material would not satisfy compliance requirements, but what do I know about the technical aspects of exhausts. The PO of my 310R installed the steel version (with carbon end piece) that he got from, I think, Revzilla, and I am happily riding around with it, in LA. Don't know if that helps. I do like the look and prefer it over the all-carbon look but that's down to personal taste of course.
Got it. Yes, totally, I agree it's personal taste and both look good. Glad to here it turned out fine and you're having a good time with it man, maybe we'll cross paths sometime in LA! I live in the 101 :)

Hi Fred! It’s most likely because the carbon one does not have the cat. The stainless steel one does. Plenty of guys on the forum has the carbon version. I like that one better IMO but I got the stainless version because that’s all RevZilla had left and I couldn’t pass up the deal.
Yes! That makes sense. And I noticed Revzilla has two installation manuals in their website: one with the cat, one without. Now it's clearer.

Man that is exactly the conclusion I came to. Nobody talking about it, nobody cares. LOL! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wound up getting the carbon one with discount from a Nevada dealership, so hopefully it'll be here next week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum.

I'm looking into that super badass black carbon slip-on instead of the all silver/metallic one.
However I talked to the dealerships here in Los Angeles and they said the carbon one does not meet the emission compliance and they don't sell it/nobody sells it.

Thanks in advance.
I'm in California ordered the carbon without cat from revzilla just fine. Just had to "sign" that's it's going to be off road only.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just recieved my stainless one and it did not come with the cat. the instructions that came with it tell you when to put it in during assembly but very vague about if it was supposed to come with it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Carbon fiber + simple install

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum.

Thanks in advance.

It is not a slip-on but a full exhaust. The CF model (S-B3R1-RC/1) does not have the emission ball halfway down the header like the SS version. It fits both the "R" and the "GS" I just installed it on my GS. If you want to remove the baffle, I suggest you remove it BEFORE you install. It is simple to remove. Keep the baffle incase you want to install later. It is a little louder than I like, but you can always use the foam ear plugs. (Still not as loud as my KTM RC390 w/ Yosh RS-9 CF twin exhaust. I had to put baffles in or lose hearing).

Exhaust is hard as **** to find... no one seems to have. However I did just get one from Biohazardcycles.com out of FL and they had 9 left in warehouse. Contact them to make sure they have before ordering.

If you keep the baffle in, I don't think you will have anything to worry about as the OEM exhaust does not look like it has a CAT (They hid it in muffler)

You are going to need a E16 external torx socket to remove exhaust from engine port. Install was simple, just be careful with O2 sensor. Time 30min to maybe an hour depending on how long it take to find your tools

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's up everyone and Charles, thank you all for the input.

I got the carbon fiber one from a Nevada dealership and installed it. Like you said it was the full system. I've been riding with it for about a week now (since Monday), and wow! What a difference. I'm very happy and I love its looks and throaty sound. It's always a good time turning it on. Also the bike is faster. Pics attached

I've also installed the SW-MOTECH crash bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
The cat on the stainless steel Akrapovic exhaust for the 310GS is an optional component and is installed on the end of the header pipe prior to sliding the muffler sleeve over it. So you cannot tell whether the exhaust has a cat installed just by looking at it. The Carbon muffler sleeve does not accommodate the cat. the extra bulge on the header pipe is still a bit of a mystery for me as it is only on the stainless steel version and not on the oem or carbon versions. A mechanic told me the bulge is an expansion chamber as can be found on 2 stroke off road bikes, but I'm yet to confirm this is the case.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is NO Cat on the stock exhaust, so there is no problem with the Akrapovic Caron Fiber exhaust. I have one om my 310GS.

Just leave in or install the DB killer that comes with it and you will be fine in CA. You will probably be fine without the DB Killer. It is only a single cylinder and most 1000cc bikes will be louder.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry, there is a cat in the standard exhaust or it would not comply to Euro4.

The cat is integrated in the muffler...part of the reason is so darn huge!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah, you are right it is Euro4.

The bulge is not an expansion chamber. That is where the optional CAT goes. (WRONG)

I just looked at the instructions at Akrapovic.com and that IS NOT where CAT goes. It does go right before muffler. So why do they have that Bulge???? It also looks like the Stainless model is a pain to install, You have to do a bunch of extra work to install like compressing the swing arm to get that bulge thru. NOT WORTH IT!!! Get the Carbon Fiber model and a no hassle install.

I would have been livid if I had purchased the Stainless and had to go thru all that. Reminds me of the **** I had to go thru with removing the KTM RC390 exhaust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts