BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

New 310r owner here. The bike has done around 12.6k miles and not had its chain or sprockets changed. Given the service book suggests this is a 12k job should I be rushing to get this done?
The last owner was an ex racer and said he cleaned and lubed once a week as he did a fair bit of mileage. It’s not been fully adjusted and apart from being off colour it looks and sounds ok.

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
680 Posts
Evening all,

New 310r owner here. The bike has done around 12.6k miles and not had its chain or sprockets changed. Given the service book suggests this is a 12k job should I be rushing to get this done?
The last owner was an ex racer and said he cleaned and lubed once a week as he did a fair bit of mileage. It’s not been fully adjusted and apart from being off colour it looks and sounds ok.
Some old British words of wisedom: "If it works, don't fix it!"
Buy a new set at put it in the drawer, change it when the old one is worn out. "The book" says 114 mm over 10 links, if my memory is correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some old British words of wisedom: "If it works, don't fix it!"
Buy a new set at put it in the drawer, change it when the old one is worn out. "The book" says 114 mm over 10 links, if my memory is correct.
this was my thinking, my only apprehension is that in July I plan on riding across to Switzerland from the uk, around 2k miles and didn’t want to be caught short 😂

·
Registered
271 Posts
As long as the chain and sprockets look good and are within spec as described above, there is no need to change them before a 2,000 mile trip. My S1000XR's chain/sprockets had 18,000 miles on them when I left on a 7,000 mile trip and everything went fine. In fact, it took another 1,000 miles after I got home before the chain went out of spec. Note: My XR chain was an endurance chain; don't expect such mileage from a standard G310GS chain. That said, if you're worried about it, either replace them before you go or carry the new chain/sprockets with you.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sometimes chains last 20,000 miles sometimes 5000. Much depends on use and maintenance. Grime shortens chain life. BMW puts quality o ring chains on their units. Each needs to be evaluated individually. Generally every time you adjust chain you should be evaluating wear. If your having to adjust more frequent that’s a sign your done. It’s best to consult a manual or professional to evaluate a chain if your not sure. The very end of a chain comes on fast. It is best to replace sprockets and chain at the same time for optimal wear. Failure can sneak up on you and spoil a trip, I’ve been there and it’s a bogus. There’s been some advances in chains, some claims as to very low maintenance I think Regina brand being one. I endorse spending money on quality chains and taking care of them. Lighter chains and sprockets will give better power application at the cost of service life.

Reactions: JerryG

·
Registered
750 Posts
My issue with chain adjustment is when set to bottom of spec 40mm the chain still ”looks too loose”. A visual issue not a real one, the worst kind of issue.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My issue with chain adjustment is when set to bottom of spec 40mm the chain still ”looks too loose”. A visual issue not a real one, the worst kind of issue.
I've thought mine looks too loose many times, only to crawl down and go through the yoga to find it measuring inside spec.

But looking at her today, I feel certain she's rather quickly drooped. Didn't have time for the yoga, as was late for something. But plan to check the whole drive system tomorrow. Will adjust or replace as needed.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My experience has been when you start getting higher adjustment intervals it is chain shopping time, depending on variables one might get away with just chain. The video didn’t show the traditional method of lifting a link on sprocket or simply measuring stretch.

·
Registered
271 Posts
He does the
My experience has been when you start getting higher adjustment intervals it is chain shopping time, depending on variables one might get away with just chain. The video didn’t show the traditional method of lifting a link on sprocket or simply measuring stretch.
Agree re adjustment intervals. He does do the lifting-a-link-on-sprocket circa time = 3 minutes, i.e., "if you can see any of the U under here...". He doesn't measure stretch the traditional 10-link length method, but his side-to-side checks seem like macro ways of demonstrating too much stretch.

·
Registered
522 Posts
He does the

Agree re adjustment intervals. He does do the lifting-a-link-on-sprocket circa time = 3 minutes, i.e., "if you can see any of the U under here...". He doesn't measure stretch the traditional 10-link length method, but his side-to-side checks seem like macro ways of demonstrating too much stretch.
Stretch specs vary. I believe that since he's talking to a very broad audience, he's focusing on universal checks that are gonna lead you to the same conclusion, without looking up the spec for that bike/chain.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I thought it was informative not real good wit( attention today. Wish our chains were 525 not 520 then could get the new no maintenance long life chain.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I thought it was informative not real good wit( attention today. Wish our chains were 525 not 520 then could get the new no maintenance long life chain.
Re 525: Has anyone researched to see if a 310 could be upgraded to a 525? Previously, I did a quick check on Regina's web site and they don't list a 525 option, but I didn't go any further.

Re no maintenance: More correct to say low maintenance as described in my S1000XR owner's manual vice the no maintenance as described by BMW's Press Release. My XR is on its second "endurance chain"; the first lasted 25,789 miles. Interestingly, that puts my first endurance chain right at the 26,000 miles described in the video as possible if you did maintenance every 3-500 miles and had perfect alignment, et al., whereas the only maintenance I did after the first 7,000 miles was to clean and lube it during each 6,000 mile servicing and when I got it dirty off pavement (which is what my manual says to do).

·
Registered
750 Posts
It seems like BMW is keeping the new chain exclusive to the 1000, and has Regina”s hands tied as far as selling in other sizes for motorbikes. R website pretty clear they are vested in “low maintenance“ chain just not motorbikes. Or it could be they are still testing long term?
20k on a chain is good but not amazing. There’s two issues swapping the 310 to 525. One is sprockets the other is chain length. I would assume the chain comes endless sized for the 1000. The other issue being that a BMW exclusive product is going to be invisible gold plated.
Good news being if it is such a great thing, we will see it in future.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would assume the chain comes endless sized for the 1000. The other issue being that a BMW exclusive product is going to be invisible gold plated.
Actually the 1000's chain is not endless; the master link is closed with rivets. When changing the chain, they have to use a chain breaker and riveting tool. If the chain were endless, they'd have to remove the swing arm to change the chain.

Invisible gold plated? Both my BMW endurance chains have been "ordinary" visibly gold. ;)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ha ha! Visably gold plated. Some models BMW use the “endless” chain and factory advised process is to remove swing arm, Crazy. And some models you don’t have to remove swing arm there’s a removable frame member! I think it has something to do with effective joints, o rings and rivet process. Part being it’s much cheaper to make a bike without a master link.
To me it appears the 310 may have the potential of removable member, lacking a manual, not sure. I have the tech to break and rivet myself so no worries. There’s also an argument for servicing the swingarm bearings when replacing the chain……..
With the evolution of chains, some old school tech doesn’t transfer well apparently noted by all the different styles of master link coming out and still a bias to riveting.
if your master link is riveted, is it still a master link? Is it field repairable?
Such a wonderful time to ride motorbikes. I can recall having to replace rear tires with chain every 3000 miles in olden times if lucky. Like quadruple miles now. Awesome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts