BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for a cable or chain lock?
I already have a couple of disc alarm locks.
But as the light as the bike is, its easy for a couple of
guys to hoist it onto a pickup. Disc locks included.

Thanks!

·
Registered
939 Posts
No really sugestiosn.
I use a disc brake and park the BMW there were I can see it.
If I can't, I look for a garage or something similair to park the BMW safely.

If a thieve really wants to have your motorcycle, he gets it, no matter what locks / alarms you have.

A cable or chain will be sprayed with ice (very low temperature) and breaks at the first stroke of a hammer.
The same for the disc lock !

Even skate boards are used to 'drive' your BMW into a van and off it is.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not naive. I know that locks and chains are only to be used as deterrents.
And are not a guarantee against theft.
I don't think you can over protect your bike though.
If a thief wants your bike, they'll take it. But if there are 2 bikes next to each other
and one has a bicycle lock, the other an alarm disc lock with a chain-lock, they'll go for the weaker bike.
I have read great things about the Kryptonite 1415 Chain-lock. Coupled with a disc lock, it's a stronger
deterrent than most. Anyone have this chain-lock & U-Lock ?

So my setup is: Kryptonite 1415, Kryptonite New York U- Lock (For my Helmet) & Xena Disc Lock.

The Chain-Lock and U-Lock each have a $2000.00 anti-theft protection which is cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with you ESA1178. I use Kryptonite at my house I have a "STRONGHOLD ANCHOR" bolted on the ground and "NEW YORK CHAIN 1210" going over the bike frame and the anchor. The chain has a $1500 protection which is cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Good Lord! Is Sacramento that full of low life bike thieves? Must have changed a lot since I last lived in the area. If so, that's way too bad. But, as you say the weaker bike is usually the preferred target so multiple locks are at least a deterrent. Make them work for it anyway!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arion: Yep, Sacramento has gone to the dogs.
That's why I am moving back to Seattle next year..

Greg: I need it for the occasional times that I am away and have to park the
bike outside. Otherwise, my apartment building has a secure subterranean parking area.

·
Registered
324 Posts
But if there are 2 bikes next to each other and one has a bicycle lock, the other an alarm disc lock with a chain-lock, they'll go for the weaker bike.
Yup - I don't need to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun you. >:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts