BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever my bike is stationary and in neutral ( like on a signal or when i start it at home )
When i put it in 1st gear there is a sound like "thak" (95% of the times ) it dsnt happen while riding (like even shifting from 2nd to 1st it dsnt make the sound )
Only when it is stationary
What is the problem and can anyone help me find a solution ? (Happening since 1-2 months after purchase)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Many bikes make quite a noise when put in to gear whilst stationary; because everything in the box is moving you're not getting it when changing from second.

For some reason some bikes are sensitive to chain tension affecting selection of first - try checking that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many bikes make quite a noise when put in to gear whilst stationary; because everything in the box is moving you're not getting it when changing from second.

For some reason some bikes are sensitive to chain tension affecting selection of first - try checking that.
How do i check chain tension and also what is the ideal chain tension for g310 r as i m not able to find the manual.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Because most bike clutches run in an oil bath, there is still a small amount of drag even when the clutch is disengaged.

So when you select first gear you are stopping a spinning shaft to engage the gear.

Also, bike clutches are a multi plate design unlike the single plate car clutch. So again, a bike clutch will more than likely have a degree of drag even when it’s disengaged.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts