BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it really 1.6''--2'' of slack most of my older chain drive bikes were only 3/4'' to 1'' slack

·
Registered
232 Posts
No, it's 40-50 mm, with the bike unloaded and supported by it's side stand. Somebody just made up the the measure of 1.6"-2.0" for fun.
The engineers at BMW Motorrad is laughing at all us DIY mechanichs who are trying to measure the chain tension, ling on our sides in akward positions under a leaning bike. It's called German Humor.
"lneedown": Just use your old knowledge, don't trust the Germans and what they write in their stupid manuals, you know better than they do.

Ps. Forget about the old units. Aren't you going metric in the US anyway, inch by inch?

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I daresay most of your older bikes did not have the suspension travel, and hence fluctuation in chain tension, of the 310.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's right my '70 CB 750 was quite stiff at the rear after ii installed new shocks put it on the track a few times. Dunlop K81's Kerker 4 into 1 clubman bars cast wheels etc

·
Registered
12 Posts
is it really 1.6''--2'' of slack most of my older chain drive bikes were only 3/4'' to 1'' slack
Motorcycles meant for off pavement use usually specify more chain slack than road only bikes because of the increased suspension movement in rough conditions. Since the 310 GS is an adventure bike and is designed for some off pavement riding capability I suspect that's the reason for the greater than usual chain tension specification of 1.6 to 2.0 inches.

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
Motorcycles meant for off pavement use usually specify more chain slack than road only bikes because of the increased suspension movement in rough conditions. Since the 310 GS is an adventure bike and is designed for some off pavement riding capability I suspect that's the reason for the greater than usual chain tension specification of 1.6 to 2.0 inches.
It's also 40-50mm for the R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts