BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to drive easy and i enjoy it. On my 310gs i use all 5 gears up to 60-70 km/h and then i have the 6th gear for all the rest. I change the sprockets on my old triumph 800 and it became much cooler to drive. Really Nice. Not as nervus any more. But it was 800cc too. Is the 310gs too little for sprockets change ?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like to drive easy and i enjoy it. On my 310gs i use all 5 gears up to 60-70 km/h and then i have the 6th gear for all the rest. I change the sprockets on my old triumph 800 and it became much cooler to drive. Really Nice. Not as nervus any more. But it was 800cc too. Is the 310gs too little for sprockets change ?
Even thou the G310GS and G310R are both small motorcycles, you can change both sprockets on both bikes, as you can do on even smaller bikes. On all chain driven motorcycles both sprockets are exchangeable, even on 50 cc mopeds.
The question is more what direction you want to go, to decrease the revolutions on top speed or increasing driveability when off-road driving?
Some people, like me, have changed front sprocket to smaller. This makes the bike less prone to stall and improves low speed maneuverability. Others have changed rear sprocket to larger, with same effect. others have change front sprocket to larger, reducing top speed revolutions. It's all up to you. As is to search this forum, or other forums for other owners experiences of sprocket changes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Finally got my 15 tooth sprocket from Sprocket Center. What a great mod. The bike came alive. Better performance over the entire rpm range. 6th gear is actually usable now. It'll pull the mountain pass here in 6th when the 16 tooth required downshifting to 5th. MPGs have not suffered, probably because the engine does not work as hard. RPMs at 60 mph have increased about 400 rpm in 6th gear. Best $30 I spent on this bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I changed to a 15 teeth and even changed to a 43 in the rear - I love it, but I do not ride highways with the bike and I would not spend hours on high rpm's in 6th gear.
The bike has a much better bite and it is even capable to ride steep inclines without stalling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have also purchased a 15 tooth counter shaft sprocket, but have not installed it yet... Did you have to add to your chain?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I Got the 15 tooth sprocket installed and it is easier to take off and now it moves out at 5 mph in first at an idle... And it still runs well at higher speed...

·
Registered
G310 gs
11 Posts

·
Registered
BMW G310 GS 2019 model
2 Posts
I changed the standard 16 tooth sprocket to a 17 tooth one and I‘m really pleased with the result. Still mostly the same acceleration by staying in the lower gear when needed, but not the high RPMs when on faster roads. Now it’s around 6K rpm at 110 km/h, which is the fastest I can go anyway during my commute, and a lot more comfortable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts