BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got bitten by the Enduro trailing bug this winter when a friend offered to go to a rental, take some bigger KTMs and have a blast in the local woods. That was both : exciting and extremely exhausting.
Exciting - plowing through the snow on these machines with 2 wheels is a feeling like no other 馃檪 (Pic bellow)

Exhausting - traditional KTM seating height was way too high for me, I am 178cm(~5'10), plus riding in snow where you can't see the terrain under the tires coupled with the fact that I am a complete novice could be 'a bit' stressful 馃檪

But ever since that trip - I can't think of anything else. So I've decided to give it a go this summer. Looking for my I'st bike. Since I'm here - obviously baby GS is on my shortlist. On top of it to be honest.

But I must admit - I am still on the fence, trying to decide between :
- Baby GS
- Honda CRF250L
- KTM Freeride 250F

They all seem nice, capable when thrown some off-road challenges. At least from reviews.

Off-road is something I am after ( trails in the woods and meadows, small puddles of water, passing through and having fun in some deserted gravel quarries - coupled with some occasional asphalt for getting to and back from off road ..).

Would greatly appreciate if you could pitch in with your insights, especially if you have had the chance to have direct experience with some of these on my short list.

Greetings from warming up Lithuania.

Attachments

Registered
I personally feel that if off-road is the main goal the CRF250L is the best option. Super capable for off-road and decent on the street.

The GS is way more comfortable on-road and less capable off-road, but you could upgrade tires, wheels and suspension to create the ultimate machine. hahahaha

Premium Member
X2 on the Honda. More purpose-built.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
The GS is way more comfortable on-road and less capable off-road, but you could upgrade tires, wheels and suspension to create the ultimate machine. hahahaha
That's exactly my thinking. Since it's my I'st year - I plan is to ride the OEM for the first season see what I would love upgraded, and then upgrade with RR or other kits (if I still see myself on the bike after the season passes).

Registered
g310gs is the best. if you cannot appreciate, you need to take another bike

Registered
g310gs is the best. if you cannot appreciate, you need to take another bike
Depends what do you want the bike for. I do think the GS is the best for all around. I personally won't do heavy off-road and my purpose is light travel, some dirt roads exploration and commute so the GS is the best option for me.

If I wanted an off-road bike with some street capability I think the Honda is best.

Registered
The KTM is the most dirt capable but not street legal. The Honda is more dirt capable than the BMW but the BMW is better on the road. Based on your criteria choose the Honda.

Registered
I do have crf250L. and it is a great bike, but after serious accident, I decided I am too old for crazy off-roading, so I converted it to supermoto, so now it rides great on regular roads. still, gs is much better looking, much more comfortable; it ergonomics are perfect as long as you add some handlebar risers.

i have 6 bikes, but the small gs is my favourite. i am still waiting for some aftermarket fuel enrichers to make it a bit stronger. my crf250 is stronger than gs with all the modifications I have done on it. I mean, I do not need much more power or else why to buy 310cc bike? but still, the bike is not using its full potential due to emissions control restrictions.

Registered
I鈥檝e owned FREERIDE, CRF250L , G310R.
I would choose the FREERIDE for raw performance but it won鈥檛 be good on streets. The GS and CRF don鈥檛 have enough power. If you like off-road more, you will outgrow these very fast!

Super Moderator
I do have crf250L. and it is a great bike, but after serious accident, I decided I am too old for crazy off-roading, so I converted it to supermoto, so now it rides great on regular roads. still, gs is much better looking, much more comfortable; it ergonomics are perfect as long as you add some handlebar risers.

i have 6 bikes, but the small gs is my favourite. i am still waiting for some aftermarket fuel enrichers to make it a bit stronger. my crf250 is stronger than gs with all the modifications I have done on it. I mean, I do not need much more power or else why to buy 310cc bike? but still, the bike is not using its full potential due to emissions control restrictions.

Hi Kris, what brands of fuel enrichers have you used for your other bikes?

Registered
with crf250 I had a great success with EJK fuel controller, but they do not make it for our gs. in other bikes I use Booster Plug (it tells ecu that ambient temperature is lower that it is, just enriching the mixture). they are both simple systems to fit, and relatively cheap. But booster plug is also not available for gs. so let's see if something will appear on the market. for now, I am trying to source 15T front sprocket. So far, I did not find it.... heavy duty clutch springs could also help.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I鈥檝e owned FREERIDE, CRF250L , G310R.
I would choose the FREERIDE for raw performance but it won鈥檛 be good on streets. The GS and CRF don鈥檛 have enough power. If you like off-road more, you will outgrow these very fast!
Wow - exactly my shortlist lineup :) That universe...

Hey Nikita, which FREERIDE did you own 250 or 350? Would 250 still be a good one to have, as it only has 20.5HP, and the frequent oil changes (no experience there so far, so a bit unknown/scary territory) ...

Also regarding the "outgrowing GS or CRF". Let's say GS is fitted with level2 suspension, bar-raisers, wheels, ... In that case - how far away is it from FREERIDE on off-road performance?

Registered

Registered
Hi Porth, for crf 250 I have EJK, for other bikes I have booster plug (it tricks the ecu into thinking that the ambient temperature is lower that it is, and thus enriches the mixture). in Tiger 800, I just changed the ecu map. so far no luck with finding anything for gs. the booster plug guy says that it is too complicated, for for some reason, to develop booster plug for gs.

i will start with changing the front sprocket, because its lower torque is, well, too low for mountains riding. I do not use it for highway, or off-road, but just riding in high mountains with low quality roads.

Registered
Also regarding the "outgrowing GS or CRF". Let's say GS is fitted with level2 suspension, bar-raisers, wheels, ... In that case - how far away is it from FREERIDE on off-road performance?
A KTM Freeride is a very different bike - massively lighter in weight (less than 2/3rds the weight of the 310GS), and has appreciably more travel than the GS does too, although that means it is correspondingly taller in the seat too of course.

In really tough/technical conditions off-road, the Freeride is going to be your weapon of choice - that's not to say a good rider with some commitment can't also make a Rally-Raided GS perform, but for most people the Freeride will make it all very easy in comparison.

But what you're talking about is trail riding, not tough enduro or competition style riding... and in that case, the priorities end up changing significantly.

The BMW is a vastly more comfortable machine to ride for many hours at a time, it offers a longer fuel-range and more relaxing on-road performance too. The Freeride is essentially a toy - a powered Mountainbike - something to have a laugh on at the weekends, then put back in the garage (via a pick-up truck or trailer typcially) until you fancy another blast.

The GS you could use every day, and ride it across the country too if you wanted - and it is more than capable of taking on any trail that is marked on a map - moreso if you do decide to upgrade the suspension and wheels with the Rally-Raid parts.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

Registered
You're 5'10, and you're complaining of seat height? LOL
I'm 5'5. I wish I was 5'10.

Don't get any of the BMW 310 bikes. There's not enough power for offroad. Get the KTM Freeride.

Registered
You're 5'10, and you're complaining of seat height? LOL
I'm 5'5. I wish I was 5'10.

Don't get any of the BMW 310 bikes. There's not enough power for offroad. Get the KTM Freeride.
For off-road what? - racing?

The G310GS has more than enough power for trail riding, which is what the OP wants to do...

The engine power of the GS is not the thing that will limit it off road, or anywhere else to be honest - other than if you're laden with luggage and trying to ride into a headwind on the open road perhaps.

However, I would concede that if any rider is new to off-road riding in general, then gaining experience is far easier and more pleasurable on a smaller lighter bike... and none is saying you have to keep any one particular bike forever of course.

Jx

ps. if you're looking for more bottom end tractability (not to be confused with power of course), then fitting a 15T front sprocket (rather than the standard 16T) makes a significant improvement to the GS - as it's geared rather tall from the factory.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all.

As I'm not English language native... What confuses me is the types of off-road riding.

Definitely not here to win any races.
But I can't tell what's the difference between Enduro, off road, trail riding...

My wish is to go out on weekends, find some nice spots away from any beaten roads (forests, etc..) with some friends on their bikes (one of friends rides a DRZ 400, other a KTM EXC 300, etc...) . So I don't want to lag behind them too much, in fact I want to stay right next to them 馃檪

Like this weekend it was 50% dirt roads, 30% tiny forest roads, even with an occasional fallen tree on the road which we had to climb over and 20% pavement.

As this was just a first test, I believe we will increase the percentage of tiny/hidden forest roads - I am sure they have a better name.

So if I may ask - what type of riding is that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts