BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I noticed that my bike was incredibly hard to shift at low speeds and was impossible to get into neutral at a stop. I also noticed a ton of clutch level play. I checked the specs, adjusted the clutch cable back into spec, and all the problems went away. The only issue is that every couple hundred miles, I have to readjust the clutch cable because there’s suddenly too much play again. I’m adjusting the clutch cable at the lever. Is there something I can do to finally fix this problem or should I expect to readjust my cable every couple hundred miles for the life of the bike?

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310R, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650cc
65 Posts
If the bike is new or the clutch cable has been replaced it’s normal for a certain amount of stretch will happen. I was shown at my BMW dealers how to adjust the clutch when I complained about the problems with the bike stalling. They said you should adjust the clutch lever adjuster so that it’s midway on the adjuster thread this will increase the lever play. You should now use the adjuster at the other end of the clutch cable where the lever adjuster enters the engine. Adjust the free play from here to reduce any excess play and the use the lever adjuster for fine adjustments as in the specs. This method maintains the correct amount of leverage required for the clutch to operate and will correct most problems riders have with the very light clutch these machines have. I would say this returned my bikes clutch to normal operation. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If the bike is not new, the clutch cable may be wearing out.
In my experience if it begins to fray - and stretch - you adjust - this repeats until it snaps!!!
Usually a good idea to have a spare in the home tool kit.
Or you can buy a small 'get you home' repair kit that can be tucked away in the bike.
[google - Slinky Glide Emergency Clutch ]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great information, thank you. Can you also help me understand why this would happen? I’m doing a fairly major adjustment via the lever adjuster but why would it keep resetting the adjustment over time?

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310R, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650cc
65 Posts
Great information, thank you. Can you also help me understand why this would happen? I’m doing a fairly major adjustment via the lever adjuster but why would it keep resetting the adjustment over time?
If the bike is still under warranty and you have re-adjusted the clutch free play with either the clutch lever or the engine end of the cable but you are still having problems I would suggest you may require a new clutch cable or you need the dealer to check the clutch assembly both should be covered under the warranty. I have only experienced the need to reset the free play in the first 500mls on a new bike or it has been adjusted as part the first service inspection from then on it should only be required every 3000-5000 mls with the odd bit of lubrication of the cable. These G310s do need the clutch to be adjusted more specifically than any bikes clutch I have owned in 50yrs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts