BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know how much I should expect to pay for new clutch cable install?
Not including the cable. I figured the cable is about $30.00
Is there a walkthru video for DIY?

Thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I guess a dealer will probably charge an hour not matter what...
I doubt there are G310 specific DIY videos but this bike use the same system as many many bikes, so if you search for clutch replacement videos, I'm sure you can find something close enough.
You basically have 2 adjusters, one at the lever end, one down on the engine before it connects to clutch (just follow the cable and you'll find the adjuster). Making the adjuster loose on the lever side should be enough for you to pull out the cable tip that locks in the lever. Then with that released the other end of the cable should be easy to disengage as well. Installation is reversal of these steps. Make sure you note where the cable is routed before you remove it, because not following the same routing could cause the cable to be too tight (when you turn the handlebar for example).
Here's a video, for a dirt bike but the principles would be the same.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to change the cable ? You damaged it yourself? If not, try to have it replaced under warranty - should not have to change it that soon - unless you have many many miles on the bike already.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Heap. I was finding it hard to get into any gear. At first I thought it was because I had alot of play with the lever. But then noticed that there is only one wire intact. The remaining wires have all snapped. I can only assume they were rubbing on something. Thankfully I discovered this when I got home. Otherwise I would have been in trouble if the remaining wire had snapped on the freeway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@esa1178

WOAH! I've had a clutch cable snap on me (previous bike) about 3 blocks away after I left work ... it SUCKED to push it back to work ... so glad you made it home!

I wonder if this is warranty or something they will try to push back on you ... did you go through any maintenance/service previously? I wonder if something changed from there ... in any case, keep me updated on this.

This might be a good time to put together a DIY article on this, if you do it yourself...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sure sounds like a warranty issue to me. These things haven't been out long enough for this to happen, unless they neglected to lube it during assembly - I'm assuming that the cable is bad at the handlebar lever end. At about 2:00 in the excellent video referenced above.

The cable's ball end should rotate freely in the recess in the lever. If it doesn't (for whatever reason) the constant bending when you operate the clutch will quickly fatigue the cable and *snap*.

Not, you understand, that this has ever happened to one of MY bikes.

Easy job - the hardest part will probably be routing the cable - especially if it's tied down under the tank where you have to remove the tank to get it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I had trouble changing gears and my dealer changed the clutch cable.
From that point on it was much better.

Maby some extra friction in the cable (Teflon) caused this or the outer (and inner) cable was not moving freely (to many angles, twist etc.)

·
Registered
935 Posts
I would go back to the dealer and ask for a new cable.
You have a 2year warranty !!!!!!!! And clutch cables do not wear out so fast.

By the way, do not lubricate the inner cable.
The outher cable has a Teflon lining and if you use oil or grease, the Teflon will wear out rapidly (All my previous Beamers had Teflon coated clutch cables).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts