BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone - I've got about 200 miles on my Pearl White G310R, and while the clutch/gearbox seem to be getting smoother with each ride, I can't help but wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if the gearbox is just a little clunky until it's fully broken in. I find that when I'm accelerating, especially through gears 1-3, I notice that the upshifts aren't as smooth as I feel like they should be...there's no grinding, tire skidding, or anything suggesting I'm doing something wrong, but it just doesn't feel like its running through the gears very smoothly. Is this because the gearing is so short on our bikes? Anyone have any idea what I'm describing?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My bike has 1500 miles on it now and the transmission is the smoothest it's ever been. 200 miles is nothing -- after your first service everything will feel much more slick.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try upshifting without using the clutch. When I shift without the clutch it doesn't even feel like I'm shifting it's so smooth.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Another alternative when upshifting is to pre-load the shift lever by putting light pressure on it before slightly rolling off the throttle and quickly pulling in the clutch just past the engagement point. Works for me and makes shifts much smoother.

·
Registered
308 Posts
B, never tried without the clutch, do you have to get rev and road speed right so that the gearbox aint left in bits behind you ?????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bike has 1500 miles on it now and the transmission is the smoothest it's ever been. 200 miles is nothing -- after your first service everything will feel much more slick.
Thanks WMRCS...I figured that it may have something to do with the bike being very new and the break in oil's viscosity. Will post here after first service with an update on how things feel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks WMRCS...I figured that it may have something to do with the bike being very new and the break in oil's viscosity. Will post here after first service with an update on how things feel.
Seriously though haha. My first 500 miles I was thinking "dang, not really the BMW I expected to ride" with all it's clunks and noises. It's a new bike after 1,000 miles, and you'll be used to the friction point of the clutch lever.

I put some eBay adjustable levers on it and it made my clutching even smoother. Suuuupppper smooth shifts now. :eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seriously though haha. My first 500 miles I was thinking "dang, not really the BMW I expected to ride" with all it's clunks and noises. It's a new bike after 1,000 miles, and you'll be used to the friction point of the clutch lever.

I put some eBay adjustable levers on it and it made my clutching even smoother. Suuuupppper smooth shifts now. :eek:
Can't wait to feel the same way!

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
B, never tried without the clutch, do you have to get rev and road speed right so that the gearbox aint left in bits behind you ?????
You just need to unload it while upshifting, i.e. accelerate, then unload the throttle so it's not accelerating or engine braking and shift up, then accelerate, no clutch required.

You might want to practice in the higher gears first e.g. 4-5.

I wouldn't recommend clutchless shifting from 1st to 2nd.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You can shift without using the clutch but ...... you have to get the right feeling to do so.
Close the throttle for a second and keep your foot under the lever and push.

Even downshifting is possible but needs more practice 😇

My G310R has now almost 5000 km on the clock and my gear shifting problems to find neutral from the second or first gear are getting better. On one hand the dealer adjusted the clutch and on the other hand, i’m getting used to feel how to shift with a little bit of love ❤

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also have the experience that the gearbox is a lot easier now after 1000+ km. Also clutch less (up-)shifting works very good, a joy to use! Downshifting I haven't tried yet, a bit afraid to damage the gears...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try upshifting without using the clutch. When I shift without the clutch it doesn't even feel like I'm shifting it's so smooth.
Add soon as i got mine i felt it was much smoother and felt right to up shift without the clutch. The gears drop in very nicely and you don't get a small jerk between the gears like when you clutch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My dealer stated that the break-in oil is the same as after the first service.

The gearbox is a smooth as it can be.
Only the first 300-400 kilometers it was more difficult to put in the first gear after waiting at traffic lights.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Add soon as i got mine i felt it was much smoother and felt right to up shift without the clutch. The gears drop in very nicely and you don't get a small jerk between the gears like when you clutch.
Try to engage and release the clutch smoother. :grin2: (I do both very quickly at high speed, slow at low speed))
There should be no jerk at all, especially when you use the clutch (a little) in the correct way.

Without clutch requires higher revs, and with my open exhaust I do not ride like that. 0:)
I also have the experience that the gearbox is a lot easier now after 1000+ km. Also clutch less (up-)shifting works very good, a joy to use! Downshifting I haven't tried yet, a bit afraid to damage the gears...
Always use the clutch at downshifting. :wink2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Certainly it's a new bike so got to learn the control. And about the up shift...i do it at about 6k to 7k rpm. Am also not in the habit of revving it up too much.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's a 310, so you have to rev the crap out of it. Don't worry. You won't kill it. Learn how to ride above 7000 rpm because this bike has no power to get you out of trouble if you find yourself having to accelerate quickly and below 7000 rpm and in too high of a gear. Upshift without the clutch is no problem either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts