BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Let me start out by stating I LOVE THIS BIKE! I sold my G650GS Sertao as I do a lot of trail riding & it was just too heavy when dropped & exhausting to keep going for long trail rides. Not this bike! It's a perfect fit for my trails & as a commuter!

PROBLEM: I have had noise in my engine when letting out the clutch from a dead stop since I bought this bike. It is most noticeable when the engine is cold. I heard the same noise when taking a test G310GS out for the test ride & thought perhaps it was just brand new noise that would work out after a few miles. I now have 8K on my odometer, and it is getting worse. The dealership denied they hear anything, and now I'm bringing it back to shove their ear into it! HAs anyone else heard this & has there been any fix?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Dave,

Does the same noise happen when the bike is in neutral and you are engaging and disengaging the engine while at idle?

There is an interesting vid on the 310 engine noise here that seems to be a common complaint but normal.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Very rarely I hear a 'screeching' sound when I drop the clutch too fast from a standstill, I understood it's from a slipper-clutch-like feature of the clutch design.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cees has it spot on. It isn't a noise from the engine in a normal state. It is from engaging the clutch, and what you will notice is that over time (higher mileage) it will get worse. It is most noticeable when the engine is cold. I go off-road quite a bit, and starting from dead stops up hills the clutch basket sounds like it's ready to blow apart. I took my kids for rides on the back (either are still under 100lbs) and the noise when letting out the clutch was horrible. If it was a car with a manual transmission, I'd think the throw-out bearing was toast & cutting through the pressure plates.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am no mechanic but that noise sounds like 'thrust bearing'. I had a similar noise on an old R80 from years ago and that was what that issue was then.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
My 310R has done this since new and so far (I think I have 2,300 or so miles on it now) it hasn't gotten worse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well... took it to the dealership, and got what I expected... complete denial. To demonstrate the issue to them, I held on the front brake and let out the clutch slowly with some descent throttle. The clutch screamed like a banshee, and the mechanic said "Oh! That doesn't sound good at all!". So I left it with them for a week. When I went to pick it up, they had set my clutch back to the horrible factory location, which is at the very end of the lever release. Then proceeded to tell me that they didn't hear it. They further denied the issue by stating that holding the front brake on while throttling isn't normal use operation. To which I replied, I only did that to demonstrate the issue, which it did perfectly. They just stared at me blankly, and I knew they were full of sh*t, and weren't going to address the reality of the problem whatsoever. Looks like BMW is banking on this issue lasting through the warranty period. I reset my clutch to engage at 1/2 release, which make this bike soooo much better from a dead stop! Gets ride of that annoying stall issue nearly instantly. It does make this squeal more noticeable though. I bet they factory adjust to the very end to allow a better cover-up of the clutch noise issue to start with by allowing a slight slip in the setting. Which would prove they know very well that it exists.

Like I said at the start, I LOVE THIS BIKE! But this noise is horrible & sends chills up anyone's spine who hears it. I would have sold at least 3 more of these to friends if that noise didn't scare them away from the model. I think I'll get a video of the noise & post it up.

·
Registered
751 Posts
the dealer has to open the clutch and look inside. you can demand it as part of general service. I have no idea what could be a reason of such noise. maybe the bearing is gone or clutch plates worn out. i will open the clutch myself soon as I want to fit heavy duty springs. it is probably very basic design of clutch.

ps. you can also check the test bike in the showroom and compare the sound.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I hear something at :04, which I recognize from my own 310 and believe to bde a normal sound for this clutch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
I have the exact same thing.
the technical term for this noise is a clutch "squaak" and my bike has been at the dealer 3 times for this and eventually the main tech guy from BMW SA came to check it.
the technician was advised to drill the oil channel holes in the clutch basket .5mm bigger to allow more oil to get to the clutch plates.
this repair worked for a few days and only sometimes does it squaak if I pull off too aggressively.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi I have the clutch squak or squeak or squawk noise from my BMW G310R as well. I've noticed it with as a few as 1,500 miles, but it now has 4,500 miles. There is definitely something wrong, but the clutch is not slipping.

It seems to occur with high load. For me, it started becoming noticeable as I would come out of the underground parking lot at a very steep incline. Like maybe a 30-40 degree incline? It would screach and squak like crazy so my remedy was to ride around it. I would roll up to the sensor for the garage gate, then roll backwards to flat ground where I can wait for the garage gate/door to open and release the clutch on level ground.

I have also noticed the noise occasionally when taking off quickly with more revs.

It is certainly not a normal noise and I believe all us G310R should start reporting this to the NHTSA so we can begin the recall process because my G310R has less than 1 year of warranty left already. It's going to be a pain in the *** because the clutch itself is not covered under warranty, but I think it's pretty clear there is something wrong.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Now that my GS is at 12,000km the clutch is starting to squeal a bit when I accelerate quickly from a stop. It doesn't do it consistently, but it's definitely noticeable when it happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem in my G310GS. I took the motorcycle to the workshop and the clutch kit was changed but the noise continues. I do not know what to do.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
If it's just a half-second sqreech on fast take-off I wouldn't worry about it. However if it does it more than that, seems like there is an issue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts