BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch switch went out a few months ago (after a fall, so I assumed a wire pulled loose). My mechanic got it working again. But, again, it stopped working. He wasn't able to repair it the second time, so I installed a new switch. Simple to replace once taking the bike apart to access the end under the fuel tank.

However -- my new clutch switch is still not working. I hear the switch click (actuate) when I squeeze the clutch lever. It starts in Neutral; I've got the kickstand up. It's not starting in gear even with the new switch and clutch lever engaged.

Any wisdom or help from the community here? Thank you!!

· Registered
G310GS 2018
802 Posts
Does it go through a relay ?
Wish BMW would have put a wiring diagram in the owners handbook like most manufactures did in days gone bye.
In the "Good Old Days" people serviced and repaired their vehicles by themselves. Today you are recommended (forced to?) take the vehicle to an "authorized" service workshop, even for small jobs like changing a light bulb. The wiring diagram isn't even present in the workshop manual.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took it to my local mechanic, and he was not able to find the issue. He suspects that somewhere in all the accessories I've added, that I introduced an issue. Knowing I didn't want to pay for hours of trouble shooting ($150 per hour), he stopped and I asked him to jump the switch. I'll ride that that for a while until I don't want to ride like that anymore, then I'll buy a power bus for all my accessories (which in hind sight I wish I had done a couple years ago when I started adding electronic accessories), then sort our the clutch switch issue.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hi, do you have a stock clutch lever? If so make sure you adjust it to make sure it can be pulled in all the way to fully activate the switch. I installed an aftermarket clutch lever and at first the bike would not start, then after adjusting it I could start it.

· Registered
16 Posts
I know you said you hear the switch engage, but I would still make sure you got your clutch lever adjusted so that it is pulled all the way in when you go to start it. I installed new levers and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start until I adjusted it to full engage.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll check that. I do have an aftermarket lever and it worked for a few months, so I don't think that's the problem. The issue came up after I added my fog lights. I think the guess from my mechanic that I've got too many accessories tapping into the electronics is the problem. I think the next step is to install a power block dedicated to the accessories and clean up the electronics.

· Registered
16 Posts
If they are adjustable maybe you had them on a different setting when it worked and started. I put some nice adjustable lever to match my red bike, but if I had them on the 1,2,or 3 setting (closest to the grip) I can't start my bike. If I have them on 4,5, or 6 (further from the grip) my bike starts. I can't hear any switch activation when I pull the clutch in when it starts, like you said you hear.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
So one clue might be which relay/switch was bypassed. It’s a very simple logic circuit
Being able to ride with the side stand down is considered dangerous by most. Caution flag is up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts