BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice some folk are not too happy with the clutch operation.
At the weekend I took a look at mine, and the cable is bone dry.
I'm used to a lubricated cable (clutch or throttle) - and gave it a good dose of oil.
Certainly an improvement.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I know most of BMW cables are lined with teflon.
If you lubricate the inner cable, the oil Will ‘eat’ The teflon.
In the beginning the oil helps, in the long run ...... problems !

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point .. I'll live with that, and whack in a replacement if/when that happens.

·
Registered
935 Posts
They replaced my clutch cable last week.
I got the bike back today and because it was raining quite hard .......
I have to wait to find out as if it was the cable .....
Keep you updated

·
Registered
23 Posts
I replaced my clutch friction plate and steel plates recently after 11K kms on my ODO.I happened like this I had gone on long trip 2Kkms and did some off roaming for 198kms lot of clutch use and rough terrain ride. I was all fine enjoyed view of rain forest and valley finally returned back to highway ride initially for 300 kms no issues as I was cruising 120-130 kmph after some time I noticed my clutch lever has become tight no free ply and my bike was roaring high 9500 revs than usual 7500. so I stopped and loosened the cable to have some free ply it lasted few 100 kms then started get tight again. and my reves reached 10k and some burning smell. Finally bike started to loose power and my top speed kept on dropping and finally unable to move even after engaging gear1 releasing the clutch. I unmount start engage gear 1 release clutch control throttle and walk along for 78 kms for 9 hrs to reach near by hotel dead tired , slept that night and next day replaced the clutch plates and returned home safely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My clutch or lock out bearing detonated last Thursday after a spirited run in the mountains of eastern Kentucky.
Nothing over 55 miles per hour mind you and no hard riding on the clutch or tranny.

Love my baby gs but this bike sounds like a box of rocks now when motor is running and liked to never got that clutch disengage from 4th gear.

Dealership has it. 850 miles on the clock total. Brand new bike.

May be trading for another Suzuki DR650.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts