BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

221 - 233 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will update everyone on how it goes once I install the new battery.

I did call BMW (the dealer is about 5 miles, if that, from my home) while I was waiting for the roadside assistance, but they told me they were sold out of all the batteries for the G310R and would be getting more on Tuesday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just went by the dealer today and here's my update:

The parts guy at the dealer asked me what bike I wanted to buy the battery for, then asked me how old my bike was. He told me the battery might still be covered under warranty since my bike was still relatively new.

He looked up my VIN on my bike and told me that yes, the battery has a 2 year, 24,000 warranty (aside from the 3 year, 36,000 mile vehicle warranty).

He asked me to drive by the dealership tomorrow morning and said they will also perform a check on my bike to make sure it's the battery that is the issue and not something else operating incorrectly. The check should take about an hour.

If it is just the battery, he told me they will replace it for free under warranty. (Yay!)

Also, there is a recall on the brake calipers (which I have heard about but haven't gotten a notice in the mail about yet) and he said that they don't have the replacement parts in stock but he ordered them for me so that I can get that taken care of soon as well.

Excellent customer service from BMW Motorrad of San Diego! I am going to take my bike there tomorrow as soon as they are open and will update again when I find out more information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to give everyone a follow up in case you are experiencing the same issue.

Went to the dealer on my motorcycle this morning as soon as they opened. They had me sign paperwork for the diagnostic check saying it would cost $160, but assured me that if the issue was indeed the battery (or something else covered by the warranty), there would be no charge. Cool.

Before I even finished my first cup of coffee waiting in the lounge, the service guy came out to tell me that yes, the battery was bad, and it was replaced at no charge under warranty. The whole process took 25 minutes, if that.

Total cost to me: $0 and I got a new battery and a free cup of coffee. Sweet! :D

It's funny because my gut feeling was that the battery was bad and that's exactly what the issue turned out to be. Very pleased with the service from BMW Motorrad.

Thank you everyone for the help and tips! Ride safe! :smile2:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Put the battery back in the GS today after four months avoiding the salt. Temp 5 or 6 °C. No throttle, it went over two compressions then fired and away no bother which is as good as it gets even in summer. It can be a lot worse in regular use. I wonder if having treated the petrol with fuel stabiliser made the difference?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Received an software update last week for my 2018 G310GS.
The BMW dealer asked me to inform them if this helps for the starting procedure.
But the winter - lower temperatures are almost gone in the Netherlands. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Received an software update last week for my 2018 G310GS.
The BMW dealer asked me to inform them if this helps for the starting procedure.
But the winter - lower temperatures are almost gone in the Netherlands. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Had the same Software update recently (for my 2018 R) and so far it starts. But after that update I’ve noticed the bike revs by itself when it’s cold. Is it the same for everyone?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm a bit/rather late to this topic, I had this issue on my 2017 with about 3000/3500 miles on the clock, I mentioned it when I had it serviced, last September and they diagnosed the crankshaft sensor as being faulty, which isn't/wasn't available as a separate part, so BMW GB/UK authorised a new alternator as that's where the crank' sensor is located, it was all done with the minimum of fuss as usual.
I have to say that after the bike was serviced, I didn't have a issue with cold starting, but the new alternator was fitted in mid October and has been fine since then.

·
Registered
909 Posts
After months of staying in my garage I fired up my 2017 G310R.
I had my battery on the original BMW batterycharger all the time and ...... just one push on the button ..... it was running.
Fuel is still Euro 95 with 10% ethanol.
Everyday I fire the beemer up for a ride, no problemo !

Also changing gears is better then the first 7000 kilometers.
I think the bike needs some time to adjust to the driver 🥴

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Sorry to see such trouble and that BMW does not know how to diagnose it. I would put more pressure on them if the bike is still under warranty. If not, maybe take it someone else for a diagnosis? I never had this problem so did not pay much attention to it, but recall there were many with this issue, who did get it fixed eventually, so all the possible causes should by now be known to BMW, one would think.

221 - 233 of 233 Posts