BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
241 - 260 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Now that the cold weather is here the cold start issue has resurfaced. I have upgraded the battery and run on Super Unleaded but it's still tricky to start. The bike is currently at the supplying dealer where they have performed a software upgrade and put a lighter 5w40 engine oil in on the instructions of BMW. I collect on Friday so will see what difference this makes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Since it was serviced back in September, my G310R has been transformed. It is less liable to stall and starts well from cold, even when left standing. I do check the battery is charged occasionally and it is 'stored' with ESSO premium unleaded in it as the latter is still alcohol free. But normally I use any old petrol when the bike is being run. I am not riding at the moment due to lockdown but I started the bike when it 5C outside a few days back and it fired up without even needing a bit of a throttle twist. Prior to its service, it would refuse to start with a charged battery, clutch in and a sniff of throttle plus 98RON petrol in the tank at anything below around 8C. So maybe a software tweak has been made?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi K-Ken.. very interested to hear that bmw are now saying 5w-40 oil is the way to go..
I did this change myself about 18 months ago . I was getting fed up with the cold-start issue
It certainly made an improvement .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just picked the bike up from the dealership. The thinner oil is immediately apparent, it spins over more freely, clutch is smoother but it is more clunky when going into gear. The dealership tell me they tried the cold start for the last few days and it started up straight away with no throttle or clutch lever in. I will monitor it over the coming week to see how the cold start performs.

·
Registered
2018 HONDA nc750X, 2019 BMWG310GS
8 Posts
Mine is a 2019 GS ,purchased used last Fall with 1400 miles. It is sort of cold here, but stays 60 or so in my garage but the little booger is still balky--spins over fast enough but difficult to start--to be very technical there are too many "gitchy gitchy gitchy's before the vroom. I talked to two different BMW dealers last week and they had no definite fixes, but some ideas with partial throttle opening (I already knew that, and I use ethanol free premium).
Thank goodness I have another bike (Honda) that will fire without fail-----soooo my thoughts are just ride the beemer in the summer and be sure not to sell it when it's cold out. Other than that, I like it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
The last 2 days I have tried the cold start at 5 degrees C & 0 degrees respectively after having the bike back from the dealer. It does start without the clutch in & no throttle but it's still not certain and still requires a few attempts. It's a lot better than it was, but still nowhere near as good as the Japanese bikes I have owned which start stright away whatever the conditions. I think this is as good as it's going to get, just as a reminder, the 4 items below have been applied to my bike to help solve the problem.

1. Run on Super Unleaded with a lower ethanol content (Shell Optimax)
  2. Upgrade the battery to one with 165 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) and 9Ah
  3. Dealer has performed a software upgrade under instructions from BMW
  4. Dealer has changed the oil to a thinner 5w40 under instructions from BMW

So that's the end of the road for me and the BMW 310GS. As soon as the 3 year warranty expires I will trade it in for a Honda and never buy BMW again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
G310R been “resting “ in unheated garage December and January premium petrol in tank.
overnight temperatures down to -5C this last 2 weeks. Not on trickle charger.
started every 14 days and run up to fan start temperature .
No difference in starting procedure..clutch in and slight crack open on throttle. This is my normal procedure and has fired and started every time summer and winter. No complaints .

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
179 Posts
I bought the G310GS in 2018 and suffered the cold start in the winter time when temperatures came below 10°C.
Sufferd a lot of low batteries because of all unsuccessful starting procedures.
It was checked for the revised camshaft, but it was allready there.
My Dominator exhaust was removed, as the dealer said that this could be the problem.
It was not.

Starting the engine with 15° angle on the throttle was the only way it would come alive.
A lot of times it would not wanted to run for a second time.
It was a very small line between a good start, and not enough throttle.
After it stalled after 1-2 small runs, the engine will take more patience to come alive.
Wait 10 minutes(!!) for third or fourth try. This will succeed (use the throttle and keep it there!).

Last year the dealer performed a software upgrade, but still had to use the throttle at cold starts.
One year after this and some more kilometers o the road, it seems the engine is running with higher RPM when cold.
Though I read that there is no system for running another software program when cold????

Third, I think that running in the engine will change the bad starting when cold.
Mine has exceeded 6.000 miles, feels like a new bike, but first gear is much easier and starts like heaven!

The original battery is still inside, I did not trusted this one, but it works fine after all.

Funny that I am reading 5W40 in this topic.
I have changed the oil to 5W40 fully synthetic when it was getting colder.
Will change to standard specification in summer. Service at BMW dealer to remain three years warranted.

Current temperatures in Holland between 0°C and 10°C.
Tomorrow snow is expected.. will be fun. 🏍

I am very happy with the small BMW motorcycle.
And reliability seems to grows over the years. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
179 Posts
I was not using 15° throttle this year, but yesterday it stalled after the initial start of 2 seconds (with high revs?? strange).
Then it was impossible to start again, I think the spark plug was wet from gasoline.

Really nice to have in the rain.

I have tested several procedures, wait thirty seconds, one minute, two minutes, four minutes (kitchen timer on) and 10 minutes. Meanwhile charging the battery to have best power.

Only ten minutes did the job, started like nothing happend before.
I have ridden over 150 miles, with four start this same day. No trouble.
So patience is all.

I still have to be concentrated for next start.
But with the lock-down there are only four to six starts a month.
Maybe that is why the problem returns, or have returned only this time. ;)

Temperatures will raise in six weeks.
No trouble guaranteed for the rest of this year. 😂

·
Registered
57 Posts
With the sub zero temperatures in the UK in the last week my bike has been easier to start than before after all the work done detailed in my last post above. Having said that, it still needs a little bit of throttle in freezing temps but it's better than it was. My Yamaha & Suzuki however start up no problem whatever the weather and without any "fixes" from the Dealer.

·
Registered
485 Posts
What's this fuzz about needing to open the throttle when cold starting? Isn't it normal in cold weather? At least I've done that since I started operating internal combustion engine equipped vehicles 48 years ago. BMW even instructs so on p. 49 (English version) in the Rider's manual.
"When starting a cold engine
at low ambient temperatures:
disengage the clutch and turn
the throttle grip slightly to open
the throttle."

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wrote that a visit to the dealer seemed to have resolved my cold start and too easy to stall problems and I can confirm this is still the case. BUT the bike needs a fully charged battery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took the bike to the only local shop to get the brake recall performed. When I asked about a newer cold start fuel mapping, the dealer became very aggressive and obnoxious. "Don't believe everything on those forums. This bike doesn't have any problems. Etc"

Which is a pain, because I've had the bike since...April or so. And it would be very difficult to start some mornings even at around 50 degrees. Just as I was about to be worried, the weather warmed up. I live in Vermont, and soon the weather will be much cooler again, so I really want a reliable bike!

Anyways, dealer says that the bike will be hooked up to their computer, and any available updates will be performed automatically; but he insists there are no cold start updates.

Is there any way to tell if I have received the upgraded fuel mapping? Other than waiting for the first below zero morning when I need to leave for work!

·
Registered
376 Posts
hi Karl85,
my dealer is the same over here (UK) .
They treat me as a complete idoit - which I may be, but they should have some customer respect.
I do find the mechanics have more sympathy.
I ended up fixing the cold start problem myself.
Lithium battery - always on battery tender [do the 30 second warm up if very cold]
Oil 5w40 .
When its really cold <0'C then a fan heater under the cover for 5 minutes.
And as many have said crack open the throttle .
My bike is 4 years old and has loosened up - starts easier now

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Karl85
G0MYW have had much the same experience both with the bike and with our respective BMW dealers in the UK. My bike now has thinner oil put in by the dealer under the instruction of BMW so they are aware of the cold start issue. If you look at my thread "Where do I start?" on the forum you can read all about my experience and I have also had to upgrade the battery.

It is much better now but I still need to give it some additional throttle on cold mornings but with this it will start. For a bike in 2021 it's totally unacceptable made worse by a arrogant responses but that's another story.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you for the replies. Yes, I have been following your previous experiences.

The bike is back and seems to be having better starts so far. Haven't had a significantly cold day yet to really test her though.

It sounds like I should buy a new/larger battery as well as a tender now.

I notice that the fuel consumption readings on the dash appear to be reading slightly different than before, so hopefully that is my sign that a reflash has been done.

GOMYW, I am debating between a larger lead battery and a lithium. Lithium are noted to not work quite as well in the cold, what is the coldest you have been able to start your bike at? Here we get at least one week every winter when temps stay below -20 C / 0 F the entire week. If I park my bike for 8 hours at work, I will not always be able to attach a tender, would you still recommend a lithium battery in my case?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I carry a jumpstarter/powerpack. It's kept indoors and if/when needed, it'll have no problems due to cold weather. So far my bike has always started, even in the cold. Nowadays I don't have to drive to that place where people go to get money, so I haven't had the need to test cold starts in -20*C.

Ps. Since I entered retirement 2 years ago, I've omitted some word from my vocabulary. One is referring for the thing people have to do to get money and an other is related to that, it is describing the situation when one doesn't have enough time to do everything one has to do.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You are quite right lithium batteries don't like very cold weather -
In your case 0'F I'd probably go for the best quality largest lead CCA that you can fit in.
Odyssey do a great range of highly rated batteries - I used one for many years in my honda650v.
You need to work out which one fits in to the available space.
I, like hasselman, carry a lithium pack they are very useful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The good news is that the battery in the 310 is a standard size so lead acid drop in replacements are easy to find. Mine was a few mm different but with a little fettling it will fit no problem. The spec of my battery is 165 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) and 9Ah which are normally used on 600cc 4 cylinder bikes. It's fine for UK weather and the cost from memory was around £30-£35.

241 - 260 of 265 Posts