BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
261 - 265 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine is now balking at starting at 40 degrees F. Last year, I'd first winter, it was difficult to get it to start at that temperature or below, but it always did. I'm hoping a little Stabil will help./ We'll see. If that doesn't work, I'll direct a hair dryer at it for a few minutes from a safe distance. This is a vexing problem. I wish BMW still made the 650 single.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I changed to a 5w50 oil, and installed a new Yuasa YT12A-BS battery (10.5 AH vs. The 8 AH stock); and the cold start issues have gone away. Mostly.

This morning, 20 F and it started up just fine. Previous weekend it was above freezing, and the bike choked and sputtered. Took several rounds of turn it on and off, crank it, firing up only to sputter out; before it fell into an idle.

It seems like this happens once a week or so. She turns over easily, catches and revs up to 4 or 5k(without any throttle input), than sputters out. Afterwards I have had best luck with turning the ignition off, and waiting 30 seconds before trying again. She almost acts like the engine is a little flooded? Hopefully this will fade away as the computer adjusts the fuel mapping over time...?

But, it is much better with a lighter oil, new battery, and software update!

·
Registered
46 Posts
As I have said before, the cold start issue is a BMW safety feature designed to stop anyone riding when there may be ice on the road and as a product enhancement feature to prevent salt encrusted highways damaging the finish. Joking aside, thin oil is the key or rather I think it is (5w40, not 5w50). My bike now starts fine when it is cold (freezing today) as long as I pull the clutch in and add a whiff of throttle and then let the bike idle with the clutch released after keeping it held in when the bike first starts to run. By the time I have my helmet and gloves on, the bike is ready to go. I thought my stalling problems where solved by the thinner oil but the bike still enjoys stalling at the most embarrassing moments. Easiest bike to stall I have ever ridden. But is starts when cold now. (2018 model year)

·
Registered
2018 G310R
14 Posts
Hi all. Have it happened to you that your G310 did not start easily, especially when cold?
It is happening to me quite often. Today i had to crank 3times and the engine didnt even pop. Then i tried to start it with open throttle and it finally fired up..
I watched a video
addressing this issue. The video suggested that during cold weather first starts that the throttle be cracked open just a little bit. I've had problems on 60 degree days and this solution solved the problem.

261 - 265 of 265 Posts