BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My bikes dash has been suffering from condensation developing under the display screen - actually to the point where (given the right conditions), it forms droplets of water rather than just a hazy mist. The droplets have left a faint tide mark when they have dried out, most of the time you don't see them unless the sun shines on the display at a particular angle to highlight them.

So, at my recent second service I asked the dealer what we needed to get this replaced - they asked me to get a couple of photos so they could send them to BMW.

Fortunately, the other day I was out and conditions were perfect to produce the condensation effect, got a couple of photos and emailed them to the dealer - reply the next day confirming that BMW have accepted to replace the dash under warranty. A very quick response from them, but now there's a wait while it is shipped from Germany.

Here's one of the photos I took - anyone else seeing anything like this?

Attachments

Registered
Looks like an aquarium 馃槀
I haven鈥檛 seen something like this before.
Does your bike sleep outside ?
Do you live near the sea ?

Registered
Maybe it was parked in a swimming pool or lake, JUST KIDDING.

I have never seen a modern display take on that much water without being submerged.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like an aquarium 馃槀
I haven鈥檛 seen something like this before.
Does your bike sleep outside ?
Do you live near the sea ?
My bike lives outside in a carport...
Sort of near the sea, about 7.5 km as the crow flies - I live up in the foothills of the northern Waitakeres, a hilly range west of Auckland. Max altitude is just under 400 metres, my place is about 140 metres above sea level, and we are surrounded by native bush (forest). We have pretty high humidity levels in the Auckland region, but up here it is always a little higher again due to the bush.

It's my daily commute, so it gets wet a lot (we also get a lot of rain), but I don't think it should have got like it has even with all of this. Friend up the road with a Triumph Thruxton (I'm jealous) keeps her bike in a carport also, and rides in all conditions too - no problems on her instruments...

Premium Member
My 310 sits right by our house (well, boat, we live on a boat) by the marina in Marina Del Rey. A few feet away from the salt ocean water. Most mornings I have to dry off the seat with a towel due to the humidity in the air, the bike is soaking wet from the morning dew. I've never see even a hint of moisture in the screen. So I think your dash is definitely defective.

Registered
Looks like a defective seal between the screen cover and the LCD unit. Undoubtedly a manufacturing defect.

Registered
Definitely a defect since I have been riding in heavy rain and haze the past winter and had no problems whatsover with water leaking anywhere except under the seat (a bit worrisome).

Registered
The KTM Duke 390's have the same issue and some guys are on their 3rd unit. Dealers just keep replacing them but clearly all the manufactured units have the same issue. Hopefully not the same in this case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts