BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, Has anybody experienced coolant dripping from the overflow pipe? My GS310 has been leaving a small puddle when not used for a couple of days that appears to be coming from the overflow pipe. It seems to have started since the 1000 km service - when I first checked the coolant level was in the middle of the min/max indicators. The drip occurs intermittently and now the level is down to minimum. I am waiting for the dealer to get a window to take the bike in. (I've now done 1600 km).
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
I had the problem initially on the g310r, the release valve is a mechanical valve and does let some of the coolant out, it did disappear after some time. found that it only happened when the coolant was at half way between min and max or above. Could have something to do with change in atmospheric pressure when standing for a while.

·
Registered
935 Posts
There is a thread on this issue.
I had the same problem and my dealer changed the water pump.

The first days of the forum more people had this issue but I haven’t heard anything about this the last ....... (many) months (?)
Bring the Beamer back to the dealer and let them solve it.
It’s a warranty item.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Folks, I've just left the GS at the dealers today. It's meant to be for investigatory work but I noticed the service clerk noted it as a coolant pump failure without prompting so I suspect it's a known issue. I will search for the thread thanks Bas...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bas310,
Thanks for the forum search tip - so this looks like a known issue. There was no visual leaking around the coolant pump but I suspect a failing pressure relief valve due to the intermittent nature of the fault. I hope the remedial work will put a long term end to it. It sounds like it fixed your G310R.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, I have experienced this. I took the bike back to my local dealer and the water pump was replace under warranty. It is recommended to take it back at your earliest convenience to get it replaced. The longest waiting period will be getting the new pump. It is definitely worth your time and piece of mind to get this automagically replaced.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Wondering if this is affecting all G310's?
Maybe those with this issue could state their production date on the bike and model, GS or R.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I am surprised that BMW are not recalling all 310s considering the number already affected. My bike was repaired within 2 days - so it looks like the parts are already held at the dealers. Unfortunately being Thailand I couldn't get a breakdown of what work was done in English. I was told to google the part numbers to understand the extent of the work however this doesn't work!
My bike is a GS310 bought in December 2017..

·
Registered
1 Posts
coolant drip

Already 3 owners have the same issue
I have already changed once the pump
Still an issue I have contacted the dealer they told me that I should change- replace again the pumb:surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
337 Posts
pffff thats bad news replacing the pump is not the issue follow this tread every day from now on
otherwise it has to go i want a reliable bike or nothing:grin2:

·
Registered
469 Posts
pffff thats bad news replacing the pump is not the issue follow this tread every day from now on
otherwise it has to go i want a reliable bike or nothing:grin2:
Well let's us know if you find a reliable bike with no issues whatsoever.
Not sure if one exists.:surprise:

Reactions: Glencoeman

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
If coolant is coming out of the overflow pipe then the pump is not the issue, seems like service is stabbing in the dark.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My 2017 G310R drips coolant from the pipe that drains the gap in the water pump between the water seal and the oil seal. When one of them fails, water or oil is drained down this tube to prevent the oil and water mixing. It is a similar design to the single cylinder BMW F/G 650 which had similar problems with the water pump seals - BMW sell a seal/pump kit when they have a problem. Looks like I will have to have a new water pump.

·
Registered
266 Posts
after several weeks my dealer has agreed that topping up coolant every week is not standard..!!
They were not keen on fixing this;
A. I was overfilling the coolant reservoir.!!! not that anyone ever saw me do it..
B. "They all do that ... Sir.." !!
At last a mechanic doing the annual service said it was not right, and he wanted it back in when the parts had arrived.

sense at last..

·
Registered
197 Posts
after several weeks my dealer has agreed that topping up coolant every week is not standard..!!
They were not keen on fixing this;
A. I was overfilling the coolant reservoir.!!! not that anyone ever saw me do it..
B. "They all do that ... Sir.." !!
At last a mechanic doing the annual service said it was not right, and he wanted it back in when the parts had arrived.

sense at last..
I had my G310R done about 4 months ago. The seals in the water pump were replaced. If you put a piece of paper underneath the engine, you will probably see coolant dripping from the overflow tube which comes from the bottom of the water pump and exits on the left side of the engine behind the plastic sump cover.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts