BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Coolant leak with 2021 model and asked to pay for repairs under warranty.

7K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  aytiuda 
#1 ·
Hello all. My 2021 GS has it's first service due and I had opted for doorstep servicing as I have completed 1000Kms on the beast. However, I noticed a coolant leak a few days ago and I have gone through several threads in this forum. I reported the same to my service advisor and at first he said it is due to some mechanical valve and that it is normal. He did, however, ask me to keep an eye on the coolant level and if the leak reoccurs again and I have been doing just that. That said, I did not ride my motorcycle this Saturday and Sunday and I still noticed the leak. I called him to counter his argument about the valve as my motorcycle did not run at all, so there is no question of the valve opening and closing on a parked motorcycle. So he agreed that the water pump seals need changing. As my first service was due as well, he said he will send me quotation. I was expecting that this coolant leak fix would be covered under warranty, but I was shocked to see that they have mentioned the charges in the quotation. Upon questioning, he said that as the seals and gaskets are considered as consumables, they are not covered under warranty. I am from India and my quotation translates to roughly about 220 USD, out of which I am being charged around 46 USD for the oil seal repair. I do not think this is right as my motorcycle is just 2 months old. I have asked him to talk to this superior and he said that he will get back to me with an update tomorrow. I am attaching the quotation I received with this post for any help/advice that I may receive. I am also attaching screenshots of the BMW motorrad site that says free repairs for 36 months in case of any defect and the issue that I am facing is clearly a defect! Thanks in advance.
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Pattern
Font Material property Parallel Number Screenshot
Font Number Document Rectangle Parallel
Font Screenshot Number Document Terrestrial plant

See less See more
#5 ·
In Finland the warranty period is only 2 years and BMW Motorrad Suomi (located in neighbouring Sweden) refused to accept any liability for a leaking coolant pump. The reason was that the fault occurred 4 months after end of warranty, that is 28 months from first registration. The bike was then exactly three years old, produced 17 Aug 2017.
I changed the sealings my self.

#6 ·
Is it a problem though? Every time I fill my coolant up over half way it gradually leaks until it sits nicely at the halfway mark, I've gone for over a year now without topping up the coolant and it's still sitting at the halfway mark with no leaks.

#8 ·
I hadn't checked the coolant level until I discovered the leak. It was sitting at the halfway mark when I checked. I then marked the level with a sharpie for reference. Since then, I have been cleaning my bash-plate every morning to know if the coolant is still leaking..and every morning it's the same story-a few ml of leaked coolant is always there on the bash-plate. I am attaching pics of what I clean every morning from the bash-plate.
Liquid Fluid Flash photography Eyelash Gas

Attachments

#12 ·
@hasselman, in the US, BMW adds six additional months when you buy a demo bike, so instead of the usual 36 months here, you get 42 months. It's probably a non-issue for your current BWM, but you might want to check what BMW's policy is on warranty extensions for demo bikes in your country, in case you buy another BMW in the future.
[/QUOTE]
Our market is small. Roughly 3 500 motorcycles was registered for road traffic use in 2021. Of these a few hundred was BMW, of these the G310's represent fewer than 100. BMW Motorrad makes hardly any profit on the G-series in my country. Why would they care to service us, owners of a non-profitable product. For BMW Motorrad Finland, the G310 is a millstone round their neck. The G310 is a product BMW Motorrad Finland and BMW Motorrad Sweden was forced to sell, against their will. Why should they care about the owners of a few hundred bikes, when all they are interested in is selling large capacity big bike that give a profit. Furthermore, bike owners in Finland (and Sweden) use their bikes only as leisure vehicles and as such it's more important to "show-off". You make no impression on other bikers on a G310GS, except when you leave the Behemoth-GS's in the dirt riding off-road with your Baby-GS.
In short, asking for a prolonged warranty from BMW Motorrad Finland, after they have rejected your four month overdue warranty claim, is futile.

#14 ·
Our market is small. Roughly 3 500 motorcycles was registered for road traffic use in 2021. Of these a few hundred was BMW, of these the G310's represent fewer than 100. BMW Motorrad makes hardly any profit on the G-series in my country. Why would they care to service us, owners of a non-profitable product. For BMW Motorrad Finland, the G310 is a millstone round their neck. The G310 is a product BMW Motorrad Finland and BMW Motorrad Sweden was forced to sell, against their will. Why should they care about the owners of a few hundred bikes, when all they are interested in is selling large capacity big bike that give a profit. Furthermore, bike owners in Finland (and Sweden) use their bikes only as leisure vehicles and as such it's more important to "show-off". You make no impression on other bikers on a G310GS, except when you leave the Behemoth-GS's in the dirt riding off-road with your Baby-GS. In short, asking for a prolonged warranty from BMW Motorrad Finland, after they have rejected your four month overdue warranty claim, is futile.
I'm not saying that you should ask "for a prolonged warranty from BMW Motorrad Finland", I'm saying you should ask BMW Headquarters in Germany if demo bikes get the same warranty as a non-demo bike or do they get an extended warranty? P.S. It is very rare for BMW USA to cover anything that fails after the warranty period, whether it's a day after or four months after.

#19 ·
I have a 2019 G310GS, with just over 20,000 miles. Just noticed in the last few weeks small spot of water under the bike in the morning. Remembered reading about water pump problems on the forum. Guess it's finally my turn. Called the dealer, and am taking it in next week. Thankfully my bike is still under warranty till the end of June. 🙂

#23 ·
Mystery Coolant leak on 2018.

This my post on the outcome of my coolant leak.

I hope yours goes better.

Ask them about the service bulletin on replacement of the cast parts.

Good luck

#24 ·
Mystery Coolant leak on 2018.

This my post on the outcome of my coolant leak.

I hope yours goes better.

Ask them about the service bulletin on replacement of the cast parts.

Good luck
Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.