BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could members be ever so kind to post pics of their GS coolant levels? I have a constant leak even after replacing the oil seals and I am wondering what level is right for the coolant. My level was a little bit more than full when the leak started and is about to reach the halfway mark. I want to know if I am worrying unnecessarily or at what point to call my dealer if at all I should. Help!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I am hoping mine settles at the halfway mark too but seeing the motorcycle leak like this (pics) is quite alarming and I have to keep checking the coolant level every time I stop for a break. Not a good experience at all as it really takes away your peace of mind.
Automotive tire Wheel Tire Tread Wood
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
624 Posts
The purpose of the expansion tank is to receive coolant liquid when it expanses due to being heated, hence the name. Many liquids expanse when heated. If the expansion tank becomes "full", the liquid has to go somewhere or the tank will burst. If the tank is filled up to the max level when cold, the level rises above max when hot and the "overfill" is evacuated thru a tube intended for that purpose. The tube ends at the bottom of the engine. When the cooling liquid cools, it "shrinks" and the level will show lower than maximum. This is because the expansion tank can not suck back the liquid that has escaped thru the tube to the street/floor/sand/carpet/lawn (pick your choice ;) )

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The purpose of the expansion tank is to receive coolant liquid when it expanses due to being heated, hence the name. Many liquids expanse when heated. If the expansion tank becomes "full", the liquid has to go somewhere or the tank will burst. If the tank is filled up to the max level when cold, the level rises above max when hot and the "overfill" is evacuated thru a tube intended for that purpose. The tube ends at the bottom of the engine. When the cooling liquid cools, it "shrinks" and the level will show lower than maximum. This is because the expansion tank can not suck back the liquid that has escaped thru the tube to the street/floor/sand/carpet/lawn (pick your choice ;) )
So, after seeing the pics I have uploaded, do you think this is "normal" or should I be worried? Because it is not a good feeling riding thinking and worrying about the leak and the coolant level constantly on a new motorcycle.

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
624 Posts
So, after seeing the pics I have uploaded, do you think this is "normal" or should I be worried? Because it is not a good feeling riding thinking and worrying about the leak and the coolant level constantly on a new motorcycle.
I can't tell, none of your photos show the expansion tank. Check the level when your engine is cold, check again when hot, let it cool down, check again. If your coolant level is same before ride and after cooling down, then your expansion tank has done what it's supposed to do, taking care of the expansion of the liquid in your engine and spited out the excess. If the level is much lower when engine has cooled down after a ride of 15 min, then you have a leak.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't tell, none of your photos show the expansion tank. Check the level when your engine is cold, check again when hot, let it cool down, check again. If your coolant level is same before ride and after cooling down, then your expansion tank has done what it's supposed to do, taking care of the expansion of the liquid in your engine and spited out the excess. If the level is much lower when engine has cooled down after a ride of 15 min, then you have a leak.
Thank you for the explanation. I think I definitely have a leak!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We can look at pictures and have opinions, but only a check up gives the answer. Anyone who has the knowledge, can easily check it. It seems aytiuda lacks that knowledge.
Yes, as this is my first liquid cooled motorcycle, I am unaware of many things related to it, which brings me here to gain knowledge and tips from experienced members like yourself. Thank you for your help so far. I am just alarmed at the amount of "leak" I see and am unable to take it to the dealer immediately as well as they are quite far. So I just wanted to make sure it is an issue to be checked by the dealer before I plan my trip. Also, I had only replaced the seals during my first service at 1200 kms and this "leak" occurred again within 200 kms of replacement.

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
624 Posts
Yes, as this is my first liquid cooled motorcycle, I am unaware of many things related to it, which brings me here to gain knowledge and tips from experienced members like yourself. Thank you for your help so far. I am just alarmed at the amount of "leak" I see and am unable to take it to the dealer immediately as well as they are quite far. So I just wanted to make sure it is an issue to be checked by the dealer before I plan my trip. Also, I had only replaced the seals during my first service at 1200 kms and this "leak" occurred again within 200 kms of replacement.
If you changed the sealings your self, you have gained experience in changing the water pump sealings. As repetition is the mother of learning, you will learn it even better by doing it again. If you do it right this time, you have become an expert. If the workshop did the replacement, you need to compain about it.
In either case, you needn't worry. There is aprox. 1 liter of antifreeze in the system and it isn't flowing out. I've driven long distances with leaking car radiators. Just fill it up when it reaches "low" level.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you changed the sealings your self, you have gained experience in changing the water pump sealings. As repetition is the mother of learning, you will learn it even better by doing it again. If you do it right this time, you have become an expert. If the workshop did the replacement, you need to compain about it.
In either case, you needn't worry. There is aprox. 1 liter of antifreeze in the system and it isn't flowing out. I've driven long distances with leaking car radiators. Just fill it up when it reaches "low" level.
Thank you. It does give me some confidence, however, currently I am not trying to void my warranty as it is a new bike. Trying very hard to not start working on it all by myself. Just the cost of parts incase I void my warranty is keeping me away from working on it myself.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
218 Posts
Thank you. I am letting it bleed right now and waiting for it to reach the halfway mark. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Will keep you updated.
I have experienced the same on my 2017 G310R .. it stopped after a while.
The engine temperature was always ok.
Now running a 2018 G310GS - four years already and never experienced it anymore.

I am curious about your update..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have experienced the same on my 2017 G310R .. it stopped after a while.
The engine temperature was always ok.
Now running a 2018 G310GS - four years already and never experienced it anymore.

I am curious about your update..
I was hoping the leak would stop on it's own on my bike too but it didn't and the coolant level went down well below halfway so I shipped the bike to the dealer (600 kms away) through road-side assistance and for free. They replaced the gasket, oil seals and the water pump this time and kept the bike with them for a few days under observation. They have now shipped the bike to me (paid) and am waiting on riding it soon. I am expecting the bike to arrive by this weekend. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
218 Posts
I was hoping the leak would stop on it's own on my bike too but it didn't and the coolant level went down well below halfway so I shipped the bike to the dealer (600 kms away) through road-side assistance and for free. They replaced the gasket, oil seals and the water pump this time and kept the bike with them for a few days under observation. They have now shipped the bike to me (paid) and am waiting on riding it soon. I am expecting the bike to arrive by this weekend. Fingers crossed.
And?? 😎

1 - 20 of 26 Posts