BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
And?? 馃槑
Sorry for the late update as I am still trying to figure things out. So yes, it DID start leaking within the first 100 Kms of the above parts replacement again! However, I noticed that it would happen overnight or after a couple of nights (say I didn't ride the motorcycle for a couple of days, then it'd start leaking). So, I thought it was due to the coolant staying idle and in that slanted position on the oil seal somehow. Hence, I have started leaving the bike on the centre stand overnight (had already installed a centre stand myself earlier). No leaks after that. However, I am yet to check if my theory is correct by leaving the motorcycle unridden for a few days and on the centre stand. But I hope I have found a solution to this with the centre stand method. Fingers crossed!

Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
My G310R was leaking after a few months, but when the level was a little bit lower, it stopped as well.
Only sidestand should be ok. :D

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Hood

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface

It was never really very much.. and engine/coolant temperature stayed the same as before..

Coolent level of your GS might be a little too high? But I guess the mechanic will check that as well.

Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My G310R was leaking after a few months, but when the level was a little bit lower, it stopped as well.
Only sidestand should be ok. :D

View attachment 16998
View attachment 16999
View attachment 17000
It was never really very much.. and engine/coolant temperature stayed the same as before..

Coolent level of your GS might be a little too high? But I guess the mechanic will check that as well.

Good luck!
Thank you for the pics! Mine is somewhat like that too (the amount of leakage). However, it has gone down considerably ever since I have starting parking it on the centre stand. Also, I used to believe my coolant level was too high too and I waited for the level to go below the halfway mark. But the leak did not stop. It is between the halfway and the low mark and is still leaking (although a little less now), so I am not sure how much is too much anymore.

Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
Thank you for the pics! Mine is somewhat like that too (the amount of leakage). However, it has gone down considerably ever since I have starting parking it on the centre stand. Also, I used to believe my coolant level was too high too and I waited for the level to go below the halfway mark. But the leak did not stop. It is between the halfway and the low mark and is still leaking (although a little less now), so I am not sure how much is too much anymore.
I have never checked the level, only the temperature on the display.. I just kept on happy riding.
As long as the temperature is not raised, I did not see any problem.
And these temperatures compare to the 2018 G310GS that I currently own and that one is not 'crying' coolant.

But you are right that is must be above the low mark... maybe it was less here.. :oops:
Our ambient temperatures are common between -5掳C~30掳C (23~86 Fahrenheit).
In hotter areas you might need more cooling capacity??
I hope it will change for the better. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have never checked the level, only the temperature on the display.. I just kept on happy riding.
As long as the temperature is not raised, I did not see any problem.
And these temperatures compare to the 2018 G310GS that I currently own and that one is not 'crying' coolant.

But you are right that is must be above the low mark... maybe it was less here.. :oops:
Our ambient temperatures are common between -5掳C~30掳C (23~86 Fahrenheit).
In hotter areas you might need more cooling capacity??
I hope it will change for the better. ;)
I had never checked the level too..until I discovered the "leak" on a 2-month old bike so was forced to look for the source.

Registered
There鈥檚 an easy way to check this. There are two open hoses that dump onto the ground. One goes to the overflow tank and hangs slightly higher than other. That other is easily traceable to the water pump. There should never be coolant dripping from water pump. Once coolant level stable there should not ever be coolant dripping from overflow. To see your leak in action, liberate visual on both hoses by removing skid plate. Start up and let idle until fan turns on. That鈥檚 operating temperature mo or less. Bad water pump will start seeping at this point if the seal has failed. I would not operate the unit if leaking from water pump. Water pump leak is covered by warranty but if you overheat the unit, that could be an issue. One needs operating temp to get system pressuriced for the leak to show its foul head.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts