BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I decided to build a small catch bottle to see how much coolant I loose if any. My overflow has dropped slightly in 2100 kms. I marked the overflow container before I started riding. Now I will catch any loss.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
This is NOT an overflow pipe. It is a drain pipe that drains the space between the water seal (on the water pump) and the oil seal to the engine. If either seal stops working, then any fluid will drain away and not mix with the oil or water (depending on which seal fails but is usually the water seal). I have the same problem and it appears to be getting worse and I have contacted the dealer about it but I am still waiting for a reply. If you do a search for "coolant", you will see that it is a known problem with this engine. The actual overflow pipe connects to the top of the radiator below the connection to the coolant header tank and is the thicker of the two pipes that exits in the sump guard - the thinner pipe is the one which you are measuring coolant loss. I have done about 1650 miles (about 2300 klms).

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the same problem and it appears to be getting worse and I have contacted the dealer about it but I am still waiting for a reply. If you do a search for "coolant", you will see that it is a known problem with this engine.
that's really disappointing for a brand new bike, i hope BMW comes up with a solution (although it doesn't sound that simple):frown2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
They say that they will dismantle the water pump to find out the problem the same day - hopefully!
that's good news at least...i start to get worried about the built quality of this bike. ok, it's a brand new design and some problems are expected, but a faulty washer and a kickstand that breaks down??come on BMW what the $%#& is the matter with you?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I mainly created the bottle to track the amount that is lost.

Emailed my dealer and this is what they said. "Couple drops is considered normal. The reservoir will drain and fill once the bike heats up and cools down. What you worry about is when you see a big puddle. Keep an eye on it and let me know, thanks."

Well heading out tomorrow for 1600 km ride will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think we buy a lemon
Well a few problems with a new bike design is very normal.
I too was hesitant on being a "beta" tester of a first year production bike.
But so far I have been lucky and not experienced any issues of any kind.
Having had so many motorcycles and vehicles over the years, and joining
the forums for them, they ALL have problems.
Being a heavy equipment operator of soooo many types of
machines, I have yet to see anything that is perfect.
There's a saying, "If it's got boobs or wheels, it will give you problems"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree. Just ripped 750 kms and no issues riding at 105-125 kms over 6 hours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.