BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not a problem, just interesting. Anybody else notice that the G310R engine temp rises super slowly on the freeway especially during cool temperatures? It came up to about 150 fairly quickly, but it took about 20 minutes for it to get to 185, which seems to be the operating temperature. I was riding at night averaging about 70mph, with cooler weather in the mid 50's.

Btw, can anyone confirm that ~185 is normal operating temp? The bike seems to hover between 180 and 185 (eventually after riding for some time) at highway speeds.

Everything in Fahrenheit

·
Registered
49 Posts
I concur with greekgeek, mine runs somewhere between 80 - 90 degrees C most of the time, climbs a bit when stationary, which is to be expected, it soon drops again once moving.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Not worried or anything. Just curious what people's temps are when moving at speed on the highway! Loving the bike so far. Just got the break-in oil change done and can finally rip on it. Such a fun machine!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, I can not speak English, translated by google. My BMW G310R also warms very slowly. At lower temperatures, the load does not reach even at 60C-140F. At 80c-175f I get only at full load. I think I have a faulty thermostat, but the dealer said it was ok. Does your BMW G 310R behave as well? Adam

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, I can not speak English, translated by google. My BMW G310R also warms very slowly. At lower temperatures, the load does not reach even at 60C-140F. At 80c-175f I get only at full load. I think I have a faulty thermostat, but the dealer said it was ok. Does your BMW G 310R behave as well? Adam
Yes, exactly! My G310R also warms up very slowly!

Interesting thought, never considered a faulty thermostat. Could be possibly stuck in the open position I guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, I also find a faulty thermostat. But if your BMW G 310 R behaves the same, it is difficult to heat up. It will probably be normal. Can you confirm?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's probably okay. Haven't checked anything. Hasn't bugged me too much. I haven't watched it warm-up by just idling. That would be the real test to see if it still warms up very slowly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ahoj, myslíte si, že je normální. Když moto nastartuji, teplá voda jde hned do chlaiče. Ukazatel teploty ukazuje pouze 50 C a vím, že termostat má otevřít až při 80C. Zdá se mi, že termostat nefunguje. Moto nelze normálně zahřát, jezdím a ukazatel teploty ukazuje neustále okolo 55 -60C, více jen když jedu na maximum. Je to normální, můžete také vyzkoušet. Díky. Přeložil google.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, you think it's normal. When I start the engine, the hot water goes right into the cooler. The temperature display shows only 50 C and I know the thermostat should open at 80C. It seems to me that the thermostat does not work. The motorcycle can not normally warm up, the ride and the temperature gauge shows constantly around 55-60C, more only when I get to the maximum. It's normal, you can also try it out. Thanks. Translated by Google.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sitting in a construction zone with traffic stopped waiting on the pilot car to allow traffic in my lane, the fan came on and temp was 208. When bike started moving, temperature dropped quickly. By moving I'm talking the 20 mph of construction pilot truck. Judging by problems on an F thumper with the fan not working, any airflow drops temp below boiling over radiator. I normally have display set to trip1 so I can guess when to stop for fuel so don't have numbers at hand. If I get through with "Honey dos" and the thunder storm stays north, I may have an answer by the weekend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dear Forum,

My GS is sitting with Dealer for last 2 days. Incidently the radiator fan refuses to start up in Stop-n-go traffic. On Friday evening while returning home from office, temperature shot up to 122 degC / 252 degF. Both the general warning light and temp indicator started flashing on the console. I did not notice then that radiator fan had not started as I moved out of traffic and got a relatively free road, the temperature started to climb down. To investigate it on Saturday, I rode the bike again and in traffic, I noticed temperature rise and noticed at even at 109 degC / 228 degF the fan did not come up. It is suppose to activate at 105 degC / 221 degF. Checked the fuse. It was fine.

Monday morning went to the dealership. They checked fuse and relay. Both were good. Direct supply to fan activates it. So mechanically, fan is fine too. They are now checking all connections to identify the issue. I am hopeful that they are able to resolve the same today and I am able to pickup the bike.

Will update the forum about what resulted in the issue and how was it resolved.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dear Forum,

My GS is sitting with Dealer for last 2 days. Incidently the radiator fan refuses to start up in Stop-n-go traffic. On Friday evening while returning home from office, temperature shot up to 122 degC / 252 degF. Both the general warning light and temp indicator started flashing on the console. I did not notice then that radiator fan had not started as I moved out of traffic and got a relatively free road, the temperature started to climb down. To investigate it on Saturday, I rode the bike again and in traffic, I noticed temperature rise and noticed at even at 109 degC / 228 degF the fan did not come up. It is suppose to activate at 105 degC / 221 degF. Checked the fuse. It was fine.

Monday morning went to the dealership. They checked fuse and relay. Both were good. Direct supply to fan activates it. So mechanically, fan is fine too. They are now checking all connections to identify the issue. I am hopeful that they are able to resolve the same today and I am able to pickup the bike.

Will update the forum about what resulted in the issue and how was it resolved.
I got a call from Dealership that radiator fan has gone kaput and needs to be replaced. They have ordered the same and so the bike will be at dealer for another 5 days.

·
Registered
748 Posts
does anything is not going caput in that lovely bike? ps. the fan should kick in at 102C, and least in my other bikes it does

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
I got a call from Dealership that radiator fan has gone kaput and needs to be replaced. They have ordered the same and so the bike will be at dealer for another 5 days.

That's not cool regardless of which country you are in. BMW should be able to get any type of part to a dealer within 1 business day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Update - Got my bike from Service Centre yesterday evening. They replaced Radiator fan under warranty. Checked the temperature while riding back home in stop-n-go traffic. Fan now kicks in at 104 DegC and cutts off at 94 DegC.

Feels good to be back on the bike after one full week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts