BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Nice! I enjoyed that, looks like you had fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That was fun :) Any tips for a newbie rider on how to corner? I own a Red G310R and have ridden for close to 450 kms till now. Not confident on the turns as of now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That was fun :) Any tips for a newbie rider on how to corner? I own a Red G310R and have ridden for close to 450 kms till now. Not confident on the turns as of now.
This will sound odd, but find a local track day that has a beginner's session. It will hands down be the best thing you can do, you can practice the same corners over and over again in a safe environment (i.e. no trees or oncoming traffic) and you can start to learn to trust the tires. Often they will have instructors that will lead then follow and give advise when your back in the pit area.

I did it after having the bike for 2 months, easily the best learning environment i've done and that includes on-road coaching via a ride forever program the government has here.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There are plenty of videos on YouTube that cover this, some better than others. There is a difference in technique/line between racing and road riding (you have to be able to cope with what might be hiding round the corner on the road) so you need to judge which video is best for you.
I suggest
as a starting point, not for the trail braking but for
the explanation of line related to exit. You can also research countersteering.

As was said in a recent MCN article on cornering "I've never seen a team manager with a stopwatch hiding in the bushes". The idea is to get smoothly and safely round the corner, speed is not important.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts