BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for my first motorcycle. I'm a female and I'm not too tall-5'4". I rode a cruiser in the MSF class and it was fine. I was able to flat foot it but the style is not really my taste. I like the aesthetics of the 310r but I'm not sure if I'm tall enough to ride it.
I know there's a lowering kit and that would probably allow me to have both feet planted on the ground but my concern is the reach. I realize sports bikes are set up in a more aggressive way. However, I've seen riders who were a little taller, who were more upright. I don't know if there's any way for me to achieve that on the 310r.
I sat on a Honda CB300R and I had to stretch pretty far. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think you will be fine on the 310R, I'm 5'7".

I also sat on the CB300R and can confirm that it is a longer reach to the ground mainly due to the wider seat and sitting more on the bike vs in the bike position.

The Yamaha R3 is another low option.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm 5'5 and my wife is 5'1. She currently owns and rides this bike.
I lowered the bike using this aftermarket part at

https://www.sjbmw.com/we-help-you-get-any-parts--xstore

Take a look at her riding the bike with the lowered link ....

By the way, the stock BMW G310R is awful. I installed the handlbar from the FZ07 onto it. Much more comfortable because it is more upward and toward the rider. The stock is too wide.

I currently ride a Yamaha FZ-07.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I assume your wife is a new rider. If you had it to do again, would you still choose this motorcycle for her? How sid she feel on your Yamaha?
Did you install a riser with the new handlebar?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I would suggest you test ride a stock 310R. One good thing is that they are very light, which makes them relatively easy to handle. I passed my California DMV driving test on mine, they are nimble.

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m 5’5” with a 30” inseam. I can’t flat foot this bike but it’s close enough, the balls of my feet are solidly on the ground with just my heels up. I’ll have to be cautious on loose surfaces but I’ve had no issues so far walking/backing it nor feeling solid at a stop. The riding position is fairly upright, a slight forward lean. My arms aren’t locked to reach the handlebars, there’s a decent enough bend to be comfortable. The brake and clutch levers are definitely too far away for small hands. My dealership is ordering in Puig adjustable levers for me which they’ll install. They will be worth the $ for not having to strain my hands to clutch and brake. My advice would be to go to a dealership and spend some time seated on a bike. Eventually a test ride will be helpful to know if this bike is for you but getting on one first will be a quick go/no-go test. Don’t settle for looks alone, spend time making sure it’s the right one for you in terms of comfort. Personally I am very happy with my G310R. It’s light, nimble, and fun as ****. Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
My wife is an experienced off-road rider but will never ride a street that is too tall. Hence I had to lowered it and install the FZ07 Handlebar. The FZ07 bar is angled toward the rider which makes it comfortable.
I’m 5’5 and didn’t lower the FZ07 so it’s too tall for her. I would get the Kawasaki 400 for the power but this bike was too cheap to pass up.

This G310R is a great handling bike. I wish for more power!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am a short rider about 5'6" but inseam of 29". Don't forget that the 310R is a sportbike even though it does not have all the fairings. You will be in a forward position but it is not as aggressive as say a Yamaha R3. The handlebars can probably be rotated back a little bit.

Wear motorcycle boots (Bilt Pole Position @ Cyclegear) which are available for less than $100 and will help with getting you closer to the ground.

BMW has a lower seat but it will set you back $400 and is only .5" lower. Personally I think BMW should swap out for free as it should have come with the lower seat standard.

The reason you are in a forward position is for steering dynamics. It is not intended to be ridden fully upright. You would have to go the the 310GS for that and it is even taller. It can also be lowered.

REMEMBER if you lower the back, you have to lower the front as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You only need to be able to have one foot down comfortably and out a little to stabilize. If your foot is too close to the bike, it will tip over easy. Make sure you can get the kickstand up once you are on the bike. I sometime have a problem getting the kickstand up on the 310GS depending on the side slope of surface.

If you are short, keep the kickstand down when mount the bike and then put it up. It will stabilize bike while you are getting on. Even the Harley people do that. Don't listen to people who say no (they are usually tall or extremely flexible) I can't even get on GS without stand down and my foot on footpeg to mount as the back is higher.

Comment on video: What is diameter of that circle, looks real tight. Did training on a 30' circle for advanced rider class and had trouble with my twitchy RC390. I upgraded it with Exhaust, Power Commander 5, and Open Airbox so now it refuses to go really slow and steady. "I want to go fast" says chicken in Storks Movie

·
Registered
157 Posts
OH also put kickstand down BEFORE getting off bike to stabilize. I have dropped in parking lot RC390 and GD250R getting off without kickstand down. All you have to do is have your foot too close to bike and if it starts to tip you will not have any leverage. It only scratched my handlebar end as I was able to slow fall and my leg kept the body from hitting the ground. Embarrassing though.

Keep front brake on also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am 5'2 and have no problems on the 310R What is your inseam????
Good question. I’m actually not sure. I can flat foot a Honda Rebel and. V star 250. On the Cb300R, I had one foot on the peg on one side and had the ball of my foot on the floor on the other. I’m about 5’4”. This would be a first bike, no on or off road experience. I am not a fan of the cruiser. I liked the feel of the CB a lot more than the feel of the V star and Rebel. I know that positioning on a sport bike is not supposed to be completely upright but on the CB300R, it was too much of a reach. I’d basically have to go out of state to actually sit on a 310r, which I haven’t had time to do yet. I wanted to get an idea of whether there was a possibility that I’d be able to ride it before making the trip.
I was thinking I might just buy a used cruiser to learn on then move up to the 310r, as much as I hate to ride one of those. I’m not crazy about the forward foot position. It feels a little unnatural. As the closest thing to riding a motorcycle for nme has been a bicycle, having your feet under or slightly in back seems more natural to me.

I did see some set back bars for about $149. With the cost of lowering and adding these adapters, it kind if defeats the purpose of buying something in this price range, though, since I cannot perform my own work. I was quoted 250 to lower the bike plus another 200 for the part. Probably another 350 for the bars. There aren’t a lot of options for short riders.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Like I recommended before, get the Kawasaki Z400. It's cheaper to lower that bike than the BMW G310R. It's also a better bike. The cost of lowering the Kawasaki Z400 or Ninja 400 should be at most $350 for parts and labor. The Kawasaki agreed to install the lowering kit as part of the sale price when I was looking for a bike for my wife.

With motorcycle boots on, you should be 5'5.
Please, go to the Kawasaki dealer and talk to them. Forget the G310R.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Isn’t the Kawasaki going to have a less upright riding position than the bmw?
At least you can so something to make the riding position better on the bmw. I son’t think the same is true of the z400.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good question. I’m actually not sure. I can flat foot a Honda Rebel and. V star 250. On the Cb300R, I had one foot on the peg on one side and had the ball of my foot on the floor on the other. I’m about 5’4”. This would be a first bike, no on or off road experience. I am not a fan of the cruiser. I liked the feel of the CB a lot more than the feel of the V star and Rebel. I know that positioning on a sport bike is not supposed to be completely upright but on the CB300R, it was too much of a reach. I’d basically have to go out of state to actually sit on a 310r, which I haven’t had time to do yet. I wanted to get an idea of whether there was a possibility that I’d be able to ride it before making the trip.
I was thinking I might just buy a used cruiser to learn on then move up to the 310r, as much as I hate to ride one of those. I’m not crazy about the forward foot position. It feels a little unnatural. As the closest thing to riding a motorcycle for nme has been a bicycle, having your feet under or slightly in back seems more natural to me.

I did see some set back bars for about $149. With the cost of lowering and adding these adapters, it kind if defeats the purpose of buying something in this price range, though, since I cannot perform my own work. I was quoted 250 to lower the bike plus another 200 for the part. Probably another 350 for the bars. There aren’t a lot of options for short riders.

Like mentioned before, the CB300R has more of a "sit on bike" ergonomics and the wider seat makes for a longer reach to the ground. The Z400 and G310R "site in bike" ergonomics and the shape of the seat makes for a lower reach to the ground. The Yamaha R3 is even easier to touch the ground or Suzuki GS500.

I have a 30" inseam...I can flat foot my GSXR-600, but not the CB300R

·
Registered
31 Posts
Honestly, on the G310R, I think the reach to the rear and front brake lever is the problem that would need to be sorted first rather than the bike height.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Today I saw what looked like a new Honda Monkey. Then there ars those other 'tiny bikes' from Honda (Grom, Super Cub), Kawasaki, 125 cc I believe. Perhaps one of those would be a better fit?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today I saw what looked like a new Honda Monkey. Then there ars those other 'tiny bikes' from Honda (Grom, Super Cub), Kawasaki, 125 cc I believe. Perhaps one of those would be a better fit?
i
I do like the Honda Monkey. It’s a little bit expensive, in my opinion. I’d like to have that as a second bike. I sat on the z400 it felt pretty good. I wasn’t able to flat foot but I think I had enough foot on the ground. I also sat on a Van van. It’s obviously in a different class as the BMW but it felt pretty good ergonomically. It’s only a 200cc. didn’t try the R3, though. How would the z400 compare to the r3? I see a lot of comparisons between the r3 and ninja but not the z400.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts