BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

cracking plastics

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  ARBOLMANO 
#1 ·
Hi
today, while washing the motorcycle, I noticed that the cover of the fuel tank broke in two places, someone had a similar issue
?

See less See more
#2 ·
That seems to be a G310R. My G310GS also has some cracks on the plastic fairings. One is on the left side under the saddle. The other is on the right side of the tank cover. The first came when I tried to lift up the bike with a farm jack when I was about to start driving the TET Finland last summer. I didn't even manage to get out of my garage. I got stuck on the door handle and laid the bike on its left side. As I was still at home and the bike was fully loaded, I took my farm jack and lifted it up cracking the side cover plastics. The second crack came two days later when I laid the bike on its left side in a swamp on the TET. I probably hit the tank cover with my right knee when dismounting. I landed flat on my belly. Nothing unusual with my cracks, it's part of the sport. After returning home, I plastic welded the cracks.

#4 ·
I haven't taken much photos of my bike. I'll see if I remember to do that tomorrow. My cracks are not from a fall, they are caused by several falls. Your cracks looks more like they are caused by somebody siting on the tank, or pressing down on the fairings. Maybe the air in your county is extremely heavy?

#9 ·
If it's too expensive, take a soldering iron, some staples and weld the cracks. The staples are for reinforcing the soldered crack. If you want it to look good, ad some filler, sand the surface smooth, tack a spray can with paint of your favourite colour and learn how to repair it your self. If you don't like the result, do it again. It's quite rewarding to see what you can do after a little training. :D If you don't want to paint, there are some fantastic plastic skins you can use to wrap the plastic parts in to too.

#11 ·
I found about a 3/4'' long crack in one ABS panel, beside a mounting bolt. Presumably from over tightening.
I searched for glues specifically for ABS, and found Oatey 30999 Medium Bodied Solvent Cement.
This stuff is for joining ABS plumbing pipe, so needs to be both solid and watertight.
It's rather gloopy, but bonds in under a minute, and cures in a matter of hours.
I was impressed with it's performance on prepping the crack before painting, but still have to attach the part to check strength. I hope this helps !

#12 ·
I found about a 3/4'' long crack in one ABS panel, beside a mounting bolt. Presumably from over tightening.
I searched for glues specifically for ABS, and found Oatey 30999 Medium Bodied Solvent Cement.
This stuff is for joining ABS plumbing pipe, so needs to be both solid and watertight.
It's rather gloopy, but bonds in under a minute, and
cures in a matter of hours.
I was impressed with it's performance on prepping the crack before painting, but still have to attach the part to check strength. I hope this helps !
you still had to paint this part? I thought if I used a mesh and a good glue on the underside, I would be able to avoid painting

#14 ·
Hi
today, while washing the motorcycle, I noticed that the cover of the fuel tank broke in two places,
I am sorry for inconvenience. An old thread but anyway, I would like to have no plastic at all over the little tiny petrol tank. They could have made a larger fuel tank. I am sick of all plastics on this bike. It was made with asia in mind and still they get it so overcomplicated. I think I will hold on to mine anyway. The Honda 300L and the Kawasaki KLR 230 is not available in Sweden at the moment.

#15 ·
Good luck finding a bike without much plastic. There’s a reason besides bein* cheaper to make. Plastic will deform and absorb impacts, often bouncing back. Metal not so much. Colors in plastic slow down scratches appearing from off road as the color is in plastic rather than paint. It’s for sure a World bike rather than North America. I think it’s sprung for a person around 140lbs myself. A 100lb rider would find the 310 a serious rocket ship and perfect suspension where as the rest of us need to make adjustments. Could be much worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.