BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've just recently bought myself a second hand G310R as a learner bike (I am in Australia), and was looking at crash protection parts. SW-MOTECH has some nice looking parts but it's all shipped from somewhere in Europe and would cost ~$1k. I have also seen many options for half the price with no brand from China. I've also noticed a lot of posts here about crash bars on the GS, but haven't found any dicussion about them on the R (sorry if my search-fu has failed me).

Has anyone ever put crash bars and sliders on their G310R? Has anyone ever bought them from China? Is the cost saving worth it or should I just be extra careful with the bike until I can afford the SW-Motech bits? Should I even be bothered at all, as its my first bike, I should expect to scuff it up a bit anyway? I dunno. General opinions about this please. I would like my bike and my shins to stay a bit more safe, but I don't know if it's excessive to drop a grand on bike protection.

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
Don't crash!!! ;)
A grand is probably more than your insurance premium. I didn't put any protection on my bike.
Just spend some time doing slow turns, and stop and gos in car parks, make sure you don't slam on the front brake as you are turning. I initially started doing tight turns, figure 8s and u turns in car parks every weekend for about 40 minutes before I went for a ride.

Take it slow, get used to the bike and stay safe, you won't need the crash bars on the R (hopefully).

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 310 is my first bike as well; I dropped & scuffed it plenty when new, but still got crash bars after a few weeks. Would've put them on to begin with if I had them ready. Got mine from SRC moto in USA.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I always put crash bars on my bikes ... sooner or later for whatever reason the bike will end up on its side.!
I've even had a strong wind blow a heavy bike over off a side stand.
I've got the sw-motech but would not have bought them at your prices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always put crash bars on my bikes ... sooner or later for whatever reason the bike will end up on its side.!
I've even had a strong wind blow a heavy bike over off a side stand.
I've got the sw-motech but would not have bought them at your prices.
Just found an Aussie reseller that has the whole kit for $760AUD, probably ~$500USD, so I think I will jump on that and some handguards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ooh she looks good! I should have bought those bars, I've already got a huge scratch down the left hand side panel. 😭😭😭 Sure didn't take long!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ooh she looks good! I should have bought those bars, I've already got a huge scratch down the left hand side panel. 😭😭😭 Sure didn't take long!
Thank you. In fact I have also dropped her once ☹ If you will look closely the front brake lever is broken. That’s when I thought I should get the crash bars asap before some major damage happens 😄

·
Registered
6 Posts
bmw motorrad offers the crash bar here in the Philippines for free, as they say a promo when u buy a new 1.
one agent says it costs arnd php15000 (about 300usd)... but local manufacturer/s can customize one for a cheaper cost. i saw some1 installed his for abt little over 100usd...

i think it's quite cheaper here in our country...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts