BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New (to me) 2021 G310GS that I picked up used with 1300 miles. While doing the post purchase inspection, I noticed a couple of things regarding the crash guard:

- I'm missing a bolt for the shifter side of the bike, where the crash guard bolts to the engine. Anyone know the length, thread pitch of that bolt so I can replace?

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

- On the brake side, where the crash guard bolts to the engine, it's really tight between the guard and the radiator hose. Is that OK? Any concerns with wear on the hose from vibrations / rubbing?

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design

Thanks in advance! I look forward to contributing to future discussions!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well the OEM bolt is 10mm by 35long 1.5 pitch. I’d suspect a little longer required with adding crash bar. There’s a bolt kit available from BMW that has correct bolts and spacers, buts that’s for the OEM bars. It’s also stupid expensive. I’d sure get something in there pronto as that is one of the bolts that holds everything together , no frame on these. I could see some extra vibes there, bolt lacking.
I would not wish rubber hose to be touching anywhere. Vibration and grime will give you a ho potentially. Reposition or at least shield with a bit of plastic. Hopefully the previous owner was more adept with mechanical skills than it would appear.
Nickel Artifact Household hardware Font Wood

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome! thank you so much for checking.... ya, that is one of the main bolts for sure. I wonder if it fell out or if the previous owner never installed? I'm guessing a little blue loctite won't hurt. As for the other side, I'll probably insert a piece of 2l soda bottle plastic or something and make sure to keep clean. Not sure what else I can do. thanks again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello! New (to me) 2021 G310GS that I picked up used with 1300 miles. While doing the post purchase inspection, I noticed a couple of things regarding the crash guard:

- I'm missing a bolt for the shifter side of the bike, where the crash guard bolts to the engine. Anyone know the length, thread pitch of that bolt so I can replace?

View attachment 17036
View attachment 17037

- On the brake side, where the crash guard bolts to the engine, it's really tight between the guard and the radiator hose. Is that OK? Any concerns with wear on the hose from vibrations / rubbing?

View attachment 17038

Thanks in advance! I look forward to contributing to future discussions!
Warm up the engine it softens the hose making it easier to move out of the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, although I do not see any damage, the crash bar on the shifter side of the bike is closer to the body than the bar on the other side. So, it must have been dropped at some time. I only really noticed because I was checking the air cleaner, and the plastics were harder to get off on the shifter side of the bike. LOL

Any tricks to bending crash guards back to their original position? I was thinking a long piece of wood, maybe up against a piece of plywood to protect the engine.... ???

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wood if tough or pipe. They not all that tough, supposed to deform to absorb crash. Some way stronger than others. Strategic placed bottle jack. Rafters, came along…
Chain and bolts. Redrilling mount holes. Cutting and rewelding, blue wrench. Have been used by me Generally with success.
oh yeah and personal fave, 3 lb sledge hammer.
Just remember, aluminum only bends once or twice (Maybe)
Live this; “For Every Action there is an Equal and Opposite Reaction” quite applicable here.
Have fun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts