BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
the design of the bike has not changed yet, so Rembux will fit. but I saw in a showroom gs with Hepco bars fitted, and it all looks really sweet, and graceful...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Crash Bars for 310GS

Hello All,

I am on a lookout for crash bars for my G310GS. I have gone through this thread, but unable to clearly make out which one of these crash bars, attached only to Body Frame and not anywhere to engine. After much study, I guess only SW Motech crash bars connect only to frame and no where on to engine. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, what would be damage to the engine (in case of crash bars connecting directly on the engine as well), as the primary function of the crash bar is to protect engine in case of a fall.

Thanks for your help

take care and ride safe
Rajesh

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hello All,

I am on a lookout for crash bars for my G310GS. I have gone through this thread, but unable to clearly make out which one of these crash bars, attached only to Body Frame and not anywhere to engine. After much study, I guess only SW Motech crash bars connect only to frame and no where on to engine. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, what would be damage to the engine (in case of crash bars connecting directly on the engine as well), as the primary function of the crash bar is to protect engine in case of a fall.

Thanks for your help

take care and ride safe
Rajesh
it depends what you consider as 'engine'. most engine guards are attached to the lower part of the crankcase. but they do not hit the ground hard when the bike falls. it is the upper tank guards that take most of the hit, and handlebars mostly. most of the oem engine gaurds are attached to the lower part of the engine, as in my Tiger. this is not an issue

·
Registered
32 Posts
it depends what you consider as 'engine'. most engine guards are attached to the lower part of the crankcase. but they do not hit the ground hard when the bike falls. it is the upper tank guards that take most of the hit, and handlebars mostly. most of the oem engine gaurds are attached to the lower part of the engine, as in my Tiger. this is not an issue
Thanks Kris! I appreciate your response. So, it is fine to have engine guards that attach to the lower part of crank case / Oil Sump. I now just need to open up my mind and have a relook at all the options. BTW, have you put up any crash bars on your GS?

Take care and ride safely

Rajesh

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks Kris! I appreciate your response. So, it is fine to have engine guards that attach to the lower part of crank case / Oil Sump. I now just need to open up my mind and have a relook at all the options. BTW, have you put up any crash bars on your GS?

Take care and ride safely

Rajesh
Rejesh, if there is an engine guard alone, or in combination with tank guard, they lower part usually connects at one or two points to the lower part of crankcase. it is the upper part that you do not want to connect to the upper part of the engine.

I did fit the Hepco engine/tank guards, because they are available in India. They looks nice, and upper bars are 7/8" so they do not look bulky. Also the engine guard and tank guard are joined so they protect each other in the event of impact. I connected auxiliary lights to the tank bars, so it is very convenient to me.

·
Registered
752 Posts
and just if anyone considers to get Rumbux, they wrote me that they are not manufacturing this product at the moment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a stale thread, but I've got the Rally Raid bash plate installed on mine and recently crashed and scratched up the whole left side of the tank and badge area, so I'm looking to add some upper crash bars as well.

Anyone know if any of these options mentioned would work in conjunction with the Rally Raid?

It looks like the Wunderlich one might work, but no way to know without trying I guess.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Good research and made searching much easier thank you. I was looking at the Rumbux ones too, but not available and not shipping to the UK anyway. I ended up getting the Givi ones fitted. Ideal for me. Only down side is that in the middle there is a tube that connect the 2 halves with couple of bolts, this tube is bare metal is not same colour as the bars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a stale thread, but I've got the Rally Raid bash plate installed on mine and recently crashed and scratched up the whole left side of the tank and badge area, so I'm looking to add some upper crash bars as well.
how did you crash my man?

·
Registered
9 Posts
how did you crash my man?
I talked about it a bit in this thread:

And I did a really detailed write-up on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/k326bo
I didn't have it on video, but it looked and sounded exactly like this crash I later found on youtube:

The total cost of repairs is looking to be about $1800 ($1100 in parts) plus replacing my helmet ($550), repairing my aerostich suit ($330), and buying new boots ($350).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ah man, that really really sucks but I'm glad you're OK. I totally understand your frustration and embarrassment, but don't let those emotions get to you. Let the errors be lessons.

Having said that, thank you for writing this up, it's very valuable for us new riders to learn in all ways possible. If I understand correctly you were crossed over like this? Fun fact, I took intermediate class at Bay Area Motorcycle Training (motorcycleschool.com) and I was instructed that it is recommendable to do that only for low speed turns less than 20mph but never when over 20mph. Although I practice this all the time I still find the somewhat nuanced distinction to be very difficult, and I feel like one needs massive amount of hours/practice to get right instinctively. BTW I highly recommend this class (I certainly intend to do more of it) as it is priceless to have a trained professional inspect your errors and correct your flaws.

Anyways, I know the exact intersection, although I never took that particular turn because I always come off Skyline and go SW to PCH. I know these roads here are phenomenal but can be very very tricky given the conditions - tons of blind corners, a lot of debris sometimes, changing temperatures & ridiculous amount of oil from hundreds is not thousands of gearheads passing through all the time.

As a new rider myself I had a few moments (6 to be precise) and each has been a valuable lesson:
  • 2x while turning left didn't counter-steer enough and ended up in a ditch but upright (1st was super low speed, 2nd was high speed but I managed to brake almost entirely).
  • 2x while turning right didn't look through the turn enough (a constant trouble spot) and consequentially didn't counter-steer enough and ended up over the yellow line with thankfully no cars. This is literally my worst nightmare and I haven't had this happen since, hopefully never again.
  • almost lost the front wheel at 55mph swooping turn coming out of Presidio into Marina on 101 (no traffic). This one is still a mystery as I was focusing and I thought I was leaning with the shoulder correctly and positioned well; it was a windy day and maybe that was key. I still think about this one a lot as I don't know what happened there.
  • my first and hopefully last crash was at 4mph going up on an awkwardly banked road (I couldn't really see all of it because I was "in a rush") turning into Paradise Dr. in Tiburon... it was really an embarrassing one because it was such dumb move that could totally have been avoided. I ended up rolling over the shoulder, partially twisting my foot (nothing too bad) and getting the bike pinned against a tree I was trying to go around in a hurry for absolutely no reason. Super awkward fall, but lesson learned - do not think you can see things you can't see... or never assume.

Again, glad you're OK and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m in the market for crash bars for my 2019 BMW G 310 GS. I often search out all of the options before making a better informed decision (it drives my wife crazy :laugh:). Thought I’d share my findings in case it would help other riders. Also would like to know from others if I’ve missed anything and where if possibly I could purchase for cheaper – especially for those options that provide the lower engine protection and upper tank protection (my preference). Below is what I have gathered to date on the options. I’m also attempting to post corresponding pictures as well from each manufacturer. i.e. pic 1 Hepco and Becker, pic 2 Wunderlich, and so on so you can have a quick look for comparison. I’m also including best price options from sellers that I was able to find online – there are probably better options out there so please share if you know of any. I live in Canada so where possible I have priced in Canadian dollars and/or US dollars with the perspective of where best to buy if you live in Canada. These prices do not include applicable taxes, shipping and possible duties.

1. Hepco & Becker (Shipped from US)
Combination of Lower Engine Guard and Upper Tank Guard. Good protection and looks like a solid product.
Lower Engine Guard: Motorschutzbügel schwarz für BMW G 310 GS (2017-) - G 310 GS (2017-) - BMW - Mein Bike
Upper Engine Guard: Tankschutzbügel für Kombination mit Hepco&Becker Motorschutzbügel schwarz für BMW G 310 GS (2017-) - G 310 GS (2017-) - BMW - Mein Bike
US Options for purchase:
Accessories International: EG = $195.35 USD TG = $191.51 USD
ADVDEPOT: EG = $207.50 USD TG = $203.50 USD

2. Wunderlich Engine Crash Guards and Tank Protection Bar (Shipped from US)
Combination of lower and upper protection. Looks like a solid product but price (holy crap)
Engine Crash Bars: Wunderlich engine crash bar for BMW G 310 black
Tank Protection Bar: Wunderlich tank protection bar G 310 GS
US Options for Purchase:
Wunderlich America: EG = $346.95 USD TG = $396.95 USD

3. Hornig Engine and Fairing Crash Bars (Shipped from Germany)
Combination of lower and upper protection. Looks to be a solid product.
Engine and Fairing Crash Bars: Crash bars for BMW G 310 GS
Engine Crash Bars: $177.39 USD
Fairing Crash Bars: $177.90 USD
I could only find options to purchase directly from Hornig:
Crash bars for BMW G 310 GS

4. Rumbux Crash Bars (Shipped from South Africa)
This guard protects both the engine and tank region. One piece. Comes with integrated skid/bash plate.
https://rumbux.com/product/medium-spec-endurance-protection-bars-2/
Rumbux Crash Bars: $349.00 USD

5. RockFox Crash Bars (Shipped from South Africa but possible US option)
Tank and Engine Guard combined. Looks to be the only one piece to give lower and upper protection in the same bar.
Rockfox Projects - G310 GS
Rockfox Crash Bars: $162.03 USD
US Option: https://www.advmotorrad.com/rockfox
I inquired and they currently don’t have RockFox crash bars for 310 GS but expected to add to their next order.

6. SW-Motech Crash Bars Engine Guards (Shipped within Canada – Free)
Bar protects the lower engine and sides of rad. Seems to be little protection.
https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/sw-motech-crash-bars-engine-guards-for-bmw-g310r-17
Twisted Throttle: $223.95 CAD

7. GIVI TN5126 Crash Bars Engine (Shipped within Canada - Free)
Single bar that provides protection to the engine.
https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/givi-tn5126-crash-bars-engine-guards-for-bmw-g310gs-18
Twisted Throttle: $269.99 CAD

8. R&G Adventure Bar Crash Bars (Shipped within Canada – Free)
Single bar and only seems to protect the lower part of the bike.
https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/r-g-adventure-bars-bmw-g310r
Twisted Throttle: $370.99 CAD

9. Rally Raid (Shipped From UK)
This guard looks solid. Gives good protection and incorporates skid/bash plate.
G310GS Adventure Engine Guard-RRP 827
Adventure Engine Guard: $262.65 USD

10. SSB Motorrad
Couldn’t find their website. Just a link to their FaceBook site. No idea on pricing. They have some really creative and good looking mods for the GS. Painted to match crash bars. Not sure if you can order from them. Check out some of their photos on their FB site.
https://www.facebook.com/ssbmotorrad

And of course there are a million options on EBay and Amazon from China. Prices and pictures look good but not sure of the quality. Anyone have any experience purchasing crash bars this way?

I am dying to hear what one you finally went with GTown!?

I am leaning more toward the Wunderlich crash bars for their full coverage of lower + upper protection.

Having fairing protection and the option of the center stand - when funds allow - is what's tearing me away from choosing the Rally Raid option.

I would love to do off-roading, but I mainly commute, therefore the protection is of the plastics in a tarmac slide (especially in a training setting, like car park practice etc.) is of foremost importance.

The only other option I've found is the SRC Moto branded bars in the US.
Crash Bar Set - BMW G 310 GS – SRC MOTO
Which really stand out from the rest. Looks like it could handle a few side bags on there too.

Currently in talks over complete costs for importing Wunderlich (Germany) and SRC (US) products - pricing being a big factor in the final decision.

Thanks for sharing your research Gtown, it's been ever so helpful with my own research. Mucho appreciated!

🍬

·
Registered
54 Posts

Anyone know if any of these options mentioned would work in conjunction with the Rally Raid?

It looks like the Wunderlich one might work, but no way to know without trying I guess. View attachment 15377
Hi Kohn

Did you ever find out if the Wunderlich upper bars worked with the Rally Raid engine protection? Like you I have the Rally Raid engine protection and Barkbuster hand guards but nothing in between. It would be really useful to know as all 3 items combined should give the best all round protection.

Many thanks

Ken

·
Registered
54 Posts
Further to my post above I downloaded the installation instructions for the SW Motech bars and took them out to the bike. Sadly both the SW Motech bars and Rally Raid sump guard hang off the same engine mounting bolt so unless you have access to a decent Fabricator/Welder to make some significant adjustments, it will not be possible to use both protection systems on the bike. May call Rally Raid tomorrow to see what they suggest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m in the market for crash bars for my 2019 BMW G 310 GS. I often search out all of the options before making a better informed decision (it drives my wife crazy :laugh:). Thought I’d share my findings in case it would help other riders. Also would like to know from others if I’ve missed anything and where if possibly I could purchase for cheaper – especially for those options that provide the lower engine protection and upper tank protection (my preference). Below is what I have gathered to date on the options. I’m also attempting to post corresponding pictures as well from each manufacturer. i.e. pic 1 Hepco and Becker, pic 2 Wunderlich, and so on so you can have a quick look for comparison. I’m also including best price options from sellers that I was able to find online – there are probably better options out there so please share if you know of any. I live in Canada so where possible I have priced in Canadian dollars and/or US dollars with the perspective of where best to buy if you live in Canada. These prices do not include applicable taxes, shipping and possible duties.

1. Hepco & Becker (Shipped from US)
Combination of Lower Engine Guard and Upper Tank Guard. Good protection and looks like a solid product.
Lower Engine Guard: Motorschutzbügel schwarz für BMW G 310 GS (2017-) - G 310 GS (2017-) - BMW - Mein Bike
Upper Engine Guard: Tankschutzbügel für Kombination mit Hepco&Becker Motorschutzbügel schwarz für BMW G 310 GS (2017-) - G 310 GS (2017-) - BMW - Mein Bike
US Options for purchase:
Accessories International: EG = $195.35 USD TG = $191.51 USD
ADVDEPOT: EG = $207.50 USD TG = $203.50 USD

2. Wunderlich Engine Crash Guards and Tank Protection Bar (Shipped from US)
Combination of lower and upper protection. Looks like a solid product but price (holy crap)
Engine Crash Bars: Wunderlich engine crash bar for BMW G 310 black
Tank Protection Bar: Wunderlich tank protection bar G 310 GS
US Options for Purchase:
Wunderlich America: EG = $346.95 USD TG = $396.95 USD

3. Hornig Engine and Fairing Crash Bars (Shipped from Germany)
Combination of lower and upper protection. Looks to be a solid product.
Engine and Fairing Crash Bars: Crash bars for BMW G 310 GS
Engine Crash Bars: $177.39 USD
Fairing Crash Bars: $177.90 USD
I could only find options to purchase directly from Hornig:
Crash bars for BMW G 310 GS

4. Rumbux Crash Bars (Shipped from South Africa)
This guard protects both the engine and tank region. One piece. Comes with integrated skid/bash plate.
https://rumbux.com/product/medium-spec-endurance-protection-bars-2/
Rumbux Crash Bars: $349.00 USD

5. RockFox Crash Bars (Shipped from South Africa but possible US option)
Tank and Engine Guard combined. Looks to be the only one piece to give lower and upper protection in the same bar.
Rockfox Projects - G310 GS
Rockfox Crash Bars: $162.03 USD
US Option: https://www.advmotorrad.com/rockfox
I inquired and they currently don’t have RockFox crash bars for 310 GS but expected to add to their next order.

6. SW-Motech Crash Bars Engine Guards (Shipped within Canada – Free)
Bar protects the lower engine and sides of rad. Seems to be little protection.
https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/sw-motech-crash-bars-engine-guards-for-bmw-g310r-17
Twisted Throttle: $223.95 CAD

7. GIVI TN5126 Crash Bars Engine (Shipped within Canada - Free)
Single bar that provides protection to the engine.
https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/givi-tn5126-crash-bars-engine-guards-for-bmw-g310gs-18
Twisted Throttle: $269.99 CAD

8. R&G Adventure Bar Crash Bars (Shipped within Canada – Free)
Single bar and only seems to protect the lower part of the bike.
https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/r-g-adventure-bars-bmw-g310r
Twisted Throttle: $370.99 CAD

9. Rally Raid (Shipped From UK)
This guard looks solid. Gives good protection and incorporates skid/bash plate.
G310GS Adventure Engine Guard-RRP 827
Adventure Engine Guard: $262.65 USD

10. SSB Motorrad
Couldn’t find their website. Just a link to their FaceBook site. No idea on pricing. They have some really creative and good looking mods for the GS. Painted to match crash bars. Not sure if you can order from them. Check out some of their photos on their FB site.
https://www.facebook.com/ssbmotorrad

And of course there are a million options on EBay and Amazon from China. Prices and pictures look good but not sure of the quality. Anyone have any experience purchasing crash bars this way?

so much great info here thank you!

I like the Rumbux, so i reached out for a quote and they got right back to me... see below

Unfortunately, we can’t take in any new orders.

We have changed our business model, in order to accommodate only research and development work. This means that we won't be manufacturing or selling any products in future. We are negotiating with interested parties, regarding the brand & possible manufacturing.

We are in the process of finishing all paid-up orders in the system.

Thank you for all the loyal support over the years.
Rumbux Team

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had a set of the SRC crash bars installed along with their bash plate, perfect fit, look good, wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a original BMW oem crash bars on 310GS and I can confirm that they do a very good job. It seems that 310 GS is very sensitive on strong wind. My bike was knocked down twice by wind. Luckily without me in a seat.;)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts