BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased the BMW OEM crash bars. Took 25 minutes to install. The package arrived without any instructions, so I did a search on youtube. The only tricky part is getting the bolt inserted and threaded on the right side above the radiator hose. It's easier if you detach the hose (get ready for radiator fluid), but I found with the bike still warm, the hose was a lot easier to manipulate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just got my Hepco and Becker Crash Bars in a few weeks ago. However my bike needed the water pump seal kit replaced because of a slow coolant leak (warranty), before it went in I did a quick install/fit to see if everything worked together with my SW-Motech skid plate. It all fits fine, the skid plate and engine guard just touch on the left side. So I decided that I would just file a little off that particular spot to keep them from touching and putting pressure on each other.
So I took everything off, put it back to stock and brought the bike in to get fixed. Got the bike back and set about installing everything. I should have waited, I was extremely tired and everything was just going wrong. I ended up stripping one of the bolt heads, was not impressed, but you know I didn't stop there. While installing the upper bolt by the radiator hose, I didn't notice that I Pinched the hose until I was torquing to the proper spec and realized that I have actually cut through the protective covering. At this point I was pretty PO'd and had no one to blame but me. So I ordered a new hose and guess what, BMW Canada doesn't keep the part in stock, so they have to get it from Germany, will take 3 weeks.

I've decided that I am going to sell the bike. and go with a Honda CB500X because I don't have to worry about parts being available. I realize it was my stupidity that did this, but it's just frustrating that you always have to wait for parts to come from Germany. I had to wait when they did the brake recall, I had to wait when they did the first service, I had to wait for water pump to get fixed, and now I'm waiting on a hose. I love this bike but I know longer have the confidence to go anywhere on it in case something happens, I will get stranded because you can't get parts.

Sorry for the rant. I was so excited about the bars and all, and I let my excitement and lack of good judgement get the best of me and well here I am, not riding my bike. When I get it fixed I will post a pic with everything on so you can see how it all fits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read through this whole thread but haven't searched forum yet for G310R specific options but does anyone know if any of the bars mentioned here will fit the R model? Not interested in the skid plate but wanting upper and lower side protection. I live on the Wet Coast of Canada and want to commute to work through most of our winter here. Don't often get snow that stays longer than a week. Picked up this '18 G310R from someone that hadn't paid off the financing and was going to pay dealer $500 to return it and get his $1500 back. LOL. Was lucky to have been in the showroom at the right time to overhear. Obviously, the salesman was not happy with me but hey, better me than them. My wife dropped it once and snapped the clutch lever and signal and she's fearful of hopping back on but that's another issue yet to be resolved.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts