BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Till the Rev Limiter engages ? , if you get there in 6, that is ...(my fat *** won't allow it)

here, the legal limit is 100 kph, tolerated to 120 kph on the freeway (that's about 60 and 70 for the 'Muricans)
I've seen 160 on the dash, but my GPS says the dash is an optimist.

But the freeway is a bore, so most of the time I'm between 80 to 120 kph on regular, and preferably remote, tarmac

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Till the Rev Limiter engages ? , if you get there in 6, that is ...(my fat *** won't allow it)

here, the legal limit is 100 kph, tolerated to 120 kph on the freeway (that's about 60 and 70 for the 'Muricans)
I've seen 160 on the dash, but my GPS says the dash is an optimist.

But the freeway is a bore, so most of the time I'm between 80 to 120 kph on regular, and preferably remote, tarmac
Absolutely - the freeway is not the preferred place to ride, but around here it is sometimes the only option to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time. The speed limit on sections of our highway is mostly 70 but is 75mph.

Registered
Go until 鈥漇nowflake鈥 back off a hair. It鈥檚 a race engine, will do that a all day. But you鈥檇 have to stop for fuel and sign tickets. Though if you did that all day, I could see it affecting your reproductive abilities by excess vibration on testicles.

Registered
This is a 55-65MPH sweet spot bike. Over 70 it gets real buzzy and cross winds are an issue with such a light bike. Of course there are a ton of folks who will jump all over this and tell you that they ride highways at 80MPH all day long but don't believe it. Good ear plugs help. Not holding the grips too tight helps. But at 70+ I can't hear the bluetooth speakers inside my helmet. It gets loud. Just my .02.

Registered
I have an R1100RT and an R60/6. Yes the gs has more vibrations but I still think for a (small) single it is relatively smooth. 65-70 is fine. The wind noise (I have a higher windshield) is a sit loud by I can still listen to my music.

Registered
In June, I did a trip that was a bit over 7,000 miles on my 2022 G310GS Rallye. During the trip, I avoided interstates except for two days. During those two days, I maxed out at 90 mph while tucked behind my Rally Raid Adventure Screen during a pass. I was in 6th gear and the rpms were below redline. I spent 8-10 hours each day cruising between 70 to 80 mph. It felt like the bike was coping an attitude, as in "easy-peasy, what else you got for me to do?" Vibration-wise, I was surprised at how smooth it was at high rpm; it's not smooth like my S1000RR or S1000XR, but smooth enough for all day riding. I didn't have a problem with wind noise thanks to custom molded ear buds. I didn't notice any significant cross-wind issues either, but I'm sure the bike would move around more than a heavier bike given high enough cross-winds.

Registered
I have found mine more comfortable at speed the more I ride it....? I spend a good bit of time at freeway speeds. Getting comfortable on a light bike was half of the battle for me. When I am riding im pushing mid 50- mid 70s. Mid 70s oddly on backroads feels better to me than on the freeways....think it is dependent on what else is driving around me more than anything but the engine seems quite happy in that range.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a 55-65MPH sweet spot bike. Over 70 it gets real buzzy and cross winds are an issue with such a light bike. Of course there are a ton of folks who will jump all over this and tell you that they ride highways at 80MPH all day long but don't believe it. Good ear plugs help. Not holding the grips too tight helps. But at 70+ I can't hear the bluetooth speakers inside my helmet. It gets loud. Just my .02.
That's been my experience so far - it's not the most comfy ride above 70, at least not for long periods of time.

Registered
Mid 70s oddly on backroads feels better to me than on the freeways....think it is dependent on what else is driving around me more than anything but the engine seems quite happy in that range.
On freeways, your suspension is loaded by just the weight of your body and gear, a quasi-neutral state. On backroads, your suspension is constantly being loaded and unloaded as you take curves. Curves done well, i.e., good control inputs and body positioning, will make the bike feel more settled and certain that the freeway's quasi-neutral state.

Registered
My G310R feels happiest at a miserly 50mph. It is so low geared. I will fit a 17 tooth front sprocket when I replace the elastic band BMW describes as a chain. Those of you who travel fast roads at high speed must not worry about the high engine rpm. It just makes me wince when the engine spins at 7 grand plus when keeping up with traffic. I do admit I am more used to old British singles so excuse my lack of faith in the power unit. I am sure it can take it.

Registered
My G310R feels happiest at a miserly 50mph. It is so low geared. I will fit a 17 tooth front sprocket when I replace the elastic band BMW describes as a chain. Those of you who travel fast roads at high speed must not worry about the high engine rpm. It just makes me wince when the engine spins at 7 grand plus when keeping up with traffic. I do admit I am more used to old British singles so excuse my lack of faith in the power unit. I am sure it can take it.
I use the whole below redline rpm range on all my bikes. Most riders, including myself until I learned otherwise, want to maintain the unstrained sound of the engine circa 3-4000 rpm. In 1987, I rode on the back of three time AMA Superbike Champion Reg Pridmore's bike during a CLASS course at Leguna Seca. I realized during that ride that he wasn't shifting much, if at all, he was using the bike's full rpm range instead. Since then, I've done the same and never had a problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's been my experience as well - this is the first small displacement bike i've had since I was a kid and the sound the engine makes hanging out 7k for long periods of time made me wonder if I was shortening its life.

Registered
Life just doesn鈥檛 start until 7000 rpm鈥檚. These little units are designed to rev and operate there.
Sounds like a Ferrari try to learn to love it cause your bike does. Or Not that鈥檚 the Joy.

Registered
I can't remember who said it鈥攊t was either Jerry or Kent鈥攂ut someone on here once made the point that it's much more about the rider than the engine. In other words, the engine will do just fine, it's the rider who has to get used to high RPMs.

I think my personal sweet spot for cruising is a state highway at around 65 MPH. I've done some stretches on the interstate with my 310 GS but didn't enjoy the experience. And I'm not sure I'd enjoy it any more if I had a bigger bike.

Registered
2022 G310GS
I've been riding a Honda VTX1800 for the last 12 years. It smokes along at 80mph and around 2500-3000 rpms. So getting on the 310 was really an alternate universe for me. Quite the adjustment for me to get comfortable wringing it's neck to go 70. But I'm starting to get used to it. The vibrations at those high RPM's aren't that noticeable to me. I haven't found a long enough road to get it to 80 yet. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts